Photo goodness

Grumpy_Old_Video_Guy

Post by Grumpy_Old_Video_Guy »

All this warmth and sharing has me a bit depressed. Maybe it's the holidays. Here's some stills from last month at Mississippi Nights. Dev, thanks for saying "hey". These are just framing shots from video, they don't make good pics. They're just direction.

A lot of work to do, don't bother me. I'm not as accomodating as Dev.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I got it. Thanks!

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Sam-
I just tried sending you a PM, but it flipped out on me and it's not in my sent-box. Did you get it? If not, let me know - I'll resend.

-Dev

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Yeah, rainy shows suck. I use a Canon Rebel 2000 for 35mm and a Fuji Finepix S7000 for digital. I chose the fine pix because it's got a higher megapixel output than the digital Rebel. I primarily use my camera to shoot concerts from the press pit or family events, so I wasn't worried about losing the flexibility of changing lenses. All of my pics above are from my 35mm.

Dev, I run http://www.houstonmusicreview.com if you want to start submitting pictures and/or reviews to the site, that would be awesome. I'd also be able to help with press passes, etc. Let me know, that'd be epic. I can offer you no money, but the hook up is good. I would offer you a percentage of my income from the site, but I doubt you'd want to give me money to do this. :)

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

HS-

~The thing about that show (ACL) is that the drizzle damn near ruined my camera. I was unable to get some functions to work because it got wet. I was seriously panicking and trying to keep it dry AND take photos, so the ones I managed (with my hand shielding the camera) are not all that great. Still commemorative, but not exactly my BEST WORK!

The camera recovered (dried out) and is 100%, but still ... that experience kinda blew camera-wise.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Wow, you must have been like two feet in front of me for that one at ACLFet '03. Great photo. That was such a great set, though much too short!!

I have a Nikon I don't ever use, and a Sony Digital that is really not too good. Even worse, I just don't have the eye for capturing the moment. Thank god (or someone) you guys are out there getting the good shots!!

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Sweet! Hijack away! Sharing photos is great.
I really like that very first one. They’re all fabulous. I have some ACL photos and other assorted goodies, too.
I was at that very Satellite Lounge show, along with the Austin shows. I have some of Mark, too. I’ll have to share my hot-rock-Mark-shot.
It was from New Orleans. I’ve got many Austin shows as well.
Awesome photo of the BR’s and Jeff, too.

Here’s my most recent Mark Spencer shot.

And one of Jay at ACL last year.

And GK (not T, sorry – I was tired last night!) Thanks for the kudos, seriously.

: D

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Hey dEvRoNiKa didnt you post a link once to farrar-phile or something with other Jay/music info and discussion?? what be that link?

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Cool, I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I think this would be a great place to share pics we have of Jay, Son Volt, Brian and Mark. Here's a few of my contributions:

These are from a Son Volt show at the Satellite Lounge in Houston back in September 24, 1998. The first picture is Jay hitting the last note of Last Time Around. We got warned no flash during the encore...but I figured one flash shot on the last note of the last song was okay!

Jay and Mark from Austin, TX. I'm too lazy to look up the venue, but it was on 6th Street next to a pub. February 22, 2002. I have some solo Brian shows from that show I need to find...they'll be future additions to this thread.

This is from the first time I officially covered the Bottle Rockets. I was so drunk by this point I'm happy anything came out. Started the day double-fisting Schlitz from the can with during the interview with the guys to uncountable bottles of Rolling Rock to close out the night. Wonderful night. I think I harrassed Brian for about 30 minutes after the show on the Peavey T-60s.

This was from the tour right before Blue Sky was released. Brian was right, seeing all the new songs made for some cool moments when first popping in the CD...

Jeff Tweedy from Wilco's set at the first Austin City Limits Festival. This one was taken by my friend/fellow owner of HMR Eddie Ferranti. Thanks!

Hope you enjoy these. I have plenty more.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:GT- Holy hell – I wouldn’t lump me in with those guys. You’re giving me WAY too much credit. I’m just a gal with a camera who likes taking photos of HOT ROCK GUITAR ACTION! Not just a fan who submitted pics. I guess I would fall into the "other connection to Jay" category.
Hey man (oops...woman), your work appeared as album art. Casual fan or not, Hot Rock Star fan or not, you've been published! That counts for something in my book. Keep it up!

-gk-

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Special added bonus:

Black/White Farrar-Foto-Fun

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

“Brian Henneman, Mark Spencer and the Photographer Extraordinaire...we are blessed on this board, blessed I say!”

GT- Holy hell – I wouldn’t lump me in with those guys. You’re giving me WAY too much credit. I’m just a gal with a camera who likes taking photos of HOT ROCK GUITAR ACTION! Not just a fan who submitted pics. I guess I would fall into the "other connection to Jay" category.

My fan-history goes way back I suppose. Maybe 90? 91? Something like that. I’m old school. Of course, I’m also 34. I’ve been a lurker on the board, posting randomly hither-and-yon. I just figured it was high time to share photos with people who might enjoy them half as much as I do.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:I wouldn’t mind one of those new huge fancy digitals, but I really like the process (mystery/surprise) with film processing though, so I’ll probably stick with the trusty Minolta 35mm I got in NY until it breaks. I don’t use anything special really. I tend to de-saturate my photos quite a bit and use 800 speed film. Keep in mind that I might shoot 10 rolls at a show and keep less than half of the photos. Hit and miss!
; > Thanks for the compliments though, I really do appreciate it. I enjoy doing the rock-photos.
Awesome. I have an old Canon AE-1 that I like to fook around with. Like you, I'm in the "fishing" school of thought regarding photography - for every roll of film shot I'm happy with one or two "keepers". I kind of expected it to be fast film, thus minimizing the need for flashes. I think the processing is where the true amatuers separate themselves from the hobyyists. I've never developed squat!

Also, most excellent of you to sign up and drop in. So are you a fan who started sending in your pics, or did you have some other connection to Jay? Either way, keep up the good work!

Brian Henneman, Mark Spencer and the Photographer Extroidenaire...we are blessed on this board, blessed I say!

-gk-

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

I absolutely agree with the others, great pictures!

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

GT -

I wouldn’t mind one of those new huge fancy digitals, but I really like the process (mystery/surprise) with film processing though, so I’ll probably stick with the trusty Minolta 35mm I got in NY until it breaks. I don’t use anything special really. I tend to de-saturate my photos quite a bit and use 800 speed film. Keep in mind that I might shoot 10 rolls at a show and keep less than half of the photos. Hit and miss!
; > Thanks for the compliments though, I really do appreciate it. I enjoy doing the rock-photos.