I'm just not feelin' the "hope/change/strange"

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

dcarter wrote:
farrarfan1 wrote:The label in the bottom left shows $4.99.
:lol: That's why you're an investigator and I'm not!
I prefer super sleuth, if that's OK.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

farrarfan1 wrote:The label in the bottom left shows $4.99.
:lol: That's why you're an investigator and I'm not!

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

The label in the bottom left shows $4.99.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

:lol: Man, I loved MAD. I, too, can't remember the last time I read one. I wonder how much it costs? I'll look for the Obama issue.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Sorry, thought this was funny. Haven't read a Mad magazine in years.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Hoops wrote:Yet another President born from a white woman.

'Change' my ass.....
:lol:

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

dcarter wrote::lol: 'non-white' as in his skin ain't nothin' like all of them other presidents.
Ah, I see.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Yet another President born from a white woman.

'Change' my ass.....

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

:lol: 'non-white' as in his skin ain't nothin' like all of them other presidents.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

"Non white"? But he's half white. Does that mean he's also "non black"? This is so confusing... :?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Thanks, tiny.

Tokyo, I see your point but I see it differently. Invoking his apparently oft-used line from back in the day at the Obama inaugural is saying 2 things. 1. The day he was referring to is here in that all of the struggles have paid benefits and 2. Even though the occasion is historic and the dawn of that day may be breaking, it is still only a beginning.

Or some such... :oops:

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

dcarter, who he (Lowery) is gets him on the stage. After that it is his responsibility to live up to the occasion instead of making a mockery of it.

I guess I don't need to feel compelled to be a rabid debater on this topic...but you can probably see how this so-called benediction really got under my skin (no pun intended).

I suppose and hope there won't be any lasting damage, but if I was the Chinese premier I'd wonder who the hell was telling me to mellow out!

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

dcarter wrote:I am guilty of talking about something I know nothing about. Sorry. I did not know that the benediction giver was Joseph Lowery. He is much more than 'one of his Reverend buds'. I am assuming here and forgive me if I am wrong in that. Lowery deserves respect. He is truly a civil rights icon.
I didn't mean to mislead you. I was not familiar with the name.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I am guilty of talking about something I know nothing about. Sorry. I did not know that the benediction giver was Joseph Lowery. He is much more than 'one of his Reverend buds'. I am assuming here and forgive me if I am wrong in that. Lowery deserves respect. He is truly a civil rights icon. Does that make what he said any less cheesy? In my opinion, no. But I feel much differently about it. One, he gets some leeway because of who he is. Two, if it is a 'signature' line, then it is totally understandable that he would use it in such a context, ie the benediction at the inaugural of America's first non-white president.
I regret referring to Joseph Lowery as a 'putz'. That was incredibly disrespectful and if I had gotten my facts straight, rather than going off even less than half-cocked, I'd have never said what I said. I think that I would have commented on how retro-cheesy it sounded to me but would have also said that in the context of harkening back to the struggle and the light-heartedness of him including it, perfectly acceptable.

It wasn't at all what it appeared to be from knowing no more than dbengr's post. I feel silly.