Post by hot burrito »

javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

lol. I'm waiting for him to release a hip hop album. :lol:

coalminer

Post by coalminer »

I'd love to see Jay and co. start rockin out again. At least some of the time. Can't someone slip Jay some trucker speed or something?

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

I hope that he starts doing full-on rock shows again, however I'm not getting my hopes up. If you look at the progression of Jay's music over the years (and I'm sure we all have, otherwise we wouldn't be here, right?) you'll notice that he changes styles often. I wouldn't be suprised if he put out a polka record or a house record next.

*cringes at the thought*

Eamon

Drums

Post by Eamon »

I saw a line up with someone playing the drums but I don't see him rocking out this time around. The sound on the new record are mellow and I think his rocking days will be saved for the next Son Volt release in the future .

sungod

band

Post by sungod »

I usually prefer acoustic but after seeing Jay and Mark 3-4 times I'm ready to see a full band again. I absolutely loved those shows but you can have too much of anything. I'm craving some lap, pedal, fiddle, banjo, drums, etc.

One of my favorite concert memories was the last Son Volt show I saw at Mississippi Nights. A friend had purchased tickets online but mistakenly for the show the night before. The guys at the door weren' t going to let us in but I just happened to run into an ex-girlfriend at the door (very odd since neither of us live close to STL). She was with one (or both) of the girls from Radio Iodine and they got us in. We made our way up to the right side of the stage above the pit and I just remeber they sounded better than I could ever recall, probably because I didn't think we were going to get to hear them!

My other favorite was Jay's first (solo) show at the Blue Note. Hearing everyone singing along to Windfall and Tear Stained Eye just gave me the chills, the voices just filled the room. Anyway, I hope they finish the tour at the Note with Eric and some sort of band.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

I do enjoy the quiet, somber accoustic sets but I miss how a song like "Chickamauga" could give the crowd a shot in the arm. One day, who knows? No complaints, mind you. A Jay show is always strong.

Antelope850

Rocking Out

Post by Antelope850 »

I was at the Joe's Pub show and Jay is rocking out with a full band a little. About half the show was Jay and Mark Spencer with Anders Parker on bass and the Varnaline drummer on drums. It sounded great, especially on Feel Free, All Of Your Might and Damn Shame. The Varnaline guys are only playing the East Coast dates though.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It looks like there will be drums on this tour -- the drummer from Varnaline. I doubt any hard rocking will be going on, but who knows? Either way, it should be great. I'm hitting up the Philly show as well.

If you all don't have any Varnaline stuff, check out their last album, Songs in a Northern Key. It's pretty damn good.

Carrboro

some live things

Post by Carrboro »

i have a Mark and Jay show from the Bowery Ballroom, NYC, 1/18/2001 if you are interested? do you have anything? also some UT stuff that is of interest. send an email to: amitypainting@email.com

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

I agree...while I love the somewhat sparse acoustic sound, I am dying to here a rocking set, a la Son Volt. Any ideas if that will happen again?

Great to see a Jay site back up.

thatbeat

drums?

Post by thatbeat »

When is Jay gonna start rockin' out with a full band again? The solo\acoustic sets are incredible, but I'm missin' the good ol' days!

Crank it up this year Jay!

Going to Philly via Raleigh, NC anyone else going to the show? Anyone planning on taping???

peace out,
thatbeat