American Central Dust

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

That is awesome!

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

calexico wrote:So, what has everyone who got the postcard with the cd done with it? I have added it to a cork board I have of a bunch of old gig tickets. The sticker I kind of foolishly stuck to the cd player in the kitchen which was a rash and stupid decision I suppose.
The postcard is stuck on my wall in my cubicle at work. Right next to my "Grown in Idaho" sticker and my picture postcards of the Tetons.

I'm saving the Search sticker. Someday I'm going to own a car with less than 100k miles on it and then I'm going to put it on the rear. I don't want to put it on my current vehicle because, well, the vehicle has a good chance of ending up in the junkyard any day now and that would be a waste of a perfectly good sticker, now wouldn't it?

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Left A Slide wrote:
sturgeongeneral wrote:been obsessively listening to tracks 7, 8, and 9.
7, 9, 11 for me....
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 is the itch i've had to scratch... :oops:

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

7, 9, 11 for me....

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Yeah, I love those 3 too. I listen to the entire album a lot, then tend to play No Turning Back one more time, and stick around for the next 2. No Turning back is an awesome song (should have been the single in my opinion), but Exiles may be my favorite on the album. I hope they add it to the setlist for the next leg of the tour.

I put the postcard and sticker on top of the cd player and it's buried there under a pile of cds. Just makes good sense.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

since my initial foray into the farrar sound back in '03 which then evolved into a sojourn and finally a more permanent musical abode, jay f. has been part poet and part musician to my ears. as a musician he has always struck me as a dichotomy of sorts, i.e., the electric jay vs. the acoustic jay. the acoustic side is what initially drew me in by way of march 16-20. it has remained my preferred expression since.

amer cent dust captures the sound that hooked me on the initial listen. i hear an boquistian element with the addition of the violin. the keyboards and pedal steel provide a heywoodian flavor. it reminds me not so much of trace but rather straightaways and tremolo. the true gems are no turning back, pushed too far, exiles, and cocaine and ashes. when the wheels don't move reminds me too much of endless war and not in the favorite category. sultana seems a retread of cahokian with its historical emphasis and the jury remains out for this track.

the electric jay is okay but will never be the preferred dichromatic side for me. the electric jay of the uncle tupelo days had an edge that was compelling. the electric jay of the son volt era is just so so and i guess that's why 'drown' and its progeny never did much for me. however, when he taps into that acoustic magical mystery tour as he has with several tracks on acd it is truly magic.

calexico

Post by calexico »

So, what has everyone who got the postcard with the cd done with it? I have added it to a cork board I have of a bunch of old gig tickets. The sticker I kind of foolishly stuck to the cd player in the kitchen which was a rash and stupid decision I suppose.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

i will try that and raise you 9. ACD is the only thing I've been listening to for 4 weeks aside from NPR (even KDHX has taken a back seat).
classic volt yes indeed. i also enjoy the huge difference between OMR, The Search and ACD. The players be play'n and trying diff. shit. i have to admire this type of musicianship.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

been obsessively listening to tracks 7, 8, and 9. this trio of songs inho matches up with any other threesome in the sv lineage. those three songs blending one into the other are vintage son volt. the only other threesomes i can think of that match this sound are windfall/live free/tear stained eye and back into your world/picking up the signal/left a slide. just a suggestion, fast forward to track 7 and try it. that sound is beginning to emerge and internalize itself to me. destined to make my 'best of son volt' compilation.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Green wrote: traipsing around various Greek isles

I wouldn't say no to that sort of holiday right now.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Left A Slide wrote:
megaballs1 wrote:Pure gasoline for the soul

Love that line.

Hey, you going to be at the Wiltern?
Ya know it baby!

The wife is coming so I'll be on best behavior.

Cuba Libre.

It'll be tough not going to Humphreys. Theres some good cats at San Diego shows and the crowds @Bellyup r my kinda crowd.

All I hear in the quiet times during the day is Roll On.

Green

Post by Green »

Just arrived today along with the olive t-shirt.
Anyone else think the design should be the other way around?
That is, the "S" above the "V".
Anyhow, enough of this sartorial piffle.
The music is, after all, the thing.
The keyboards are particularly striking given the departure of Mr deBorja
and are probably the main reason for the overwhelming warmth of this record along with that comforting vocal rumble.
The playing throughout is fingertip instinctive or perhaps that's this non musician's fancy.
Special mention for "No Turning Back" : that Wide Swing Tremelo groove is back and I'm back in 1999, traipsing around various Greek isles with that hallowed album being literally burned into my brain.
All in all a big thumbs up.
Cheers Jay!

Unhurried Ways

Post by Unhurried Ways »

-Been singin Roll On all day today, it's Creosote for the 21st century, the electric guitar instrumental break is my favorite bit of sound right now, the CD could have used a few more
-The songs all hang together as a collection like Trace and my other favorite albums, but like Tonight's the Night it doesn't necessarily (need to) contain the artist's best songs to work
-ACD sets the table for the final SV 2.0 which will sound like Buzz and Grind, Cemetary Savior, Bandages and Scars
-Will Rounder submit/push this for the folk music Grammy? It fits. No Space Junk to take it out of the running. It always got my goat when the Boss or Johnny Cougar designed a release to get that award, when there's real traditional and modern folk artists toiling in obscurity like mute inglorious Miltons
-Sultana is a wreck. (hyperbole) Would I rather listen to it, or be aboard the flaming riverboat? It's a toss up (/h) The story is rich with meaning and metaphor, and Jay comes up with "Titanic of the Mississippi" and "hell was a better place". To be fair he touches on one possible theme "the excesses of capitalism", the cap'n overloaded it leading to the explosion...possible lyrics to revised version: "we need a boiler and pressure vessel code" and "The AIG of the Mississippi". To me the real tragedy is that these young soldiers survived the disease, the bloody battles and, some, the Confederate POW camps, then got blown up a few miles from home in a freak accident, it wasn't their day...
-Will someone please take a chainsaw and/or sledge to Jay's piano - it brings out his worst songwriting tendencies

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

megaballs1 wrote:Pure gasoline for the soul

Love that line.

Hey, you going to be at the Wiltern?