American Central Dust

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I like this nutty pony/el caballo loco fellow. For awhile I thought that you were Duplantis but then I remembered that he is The Devil in Spanish.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

dcarter wrote:Spanish for crazy horse, have you ever heard an earlier or non-Ghost version of Less Than You Think?
Merged first initial with last name,

I have not.

Yours Truly,
The Nutty Pony

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Spanish for crazy horse, have you ever heard an earlier or non-Ghost version of Less Than You Think?

el caballo loco

sam6025 wrote:I didn't realize it was 2 LP...nice...

Pretty much Hell is Chrome and Spiders are the only songs I skip over, so I think I was more down on the album than I should have been. Less Than You Think is bad because of the noise, but Late Greats rocks.
I'm far from an audiophile, but it sounds really, really good on vinyl. I like "Spiders" and really like "Hell is Chrome." I wouldn't complain if I never hear "Less Than You Think" again.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Sam, I agree with the noisy Less Than You Think. I never skip it but then I never skip songs on any album. I understand the reason for the noise, though. Have you ever heard an earlier version or a Tweedy solo version? It is a 'proper' song and a damned good one. The first time that I heard it was in 2002 on the Yankee Tour with just Jeff, John, Glenn, Leroy and, only on laptop at the time, Mikael. They did Less Than You Think. It was just a song and good. In many ways, that lineup was my favorite. A hell of a show.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I didn't realize it was 2 LP...nice...

Pretty much Hell is Chrome and Spiders are the only songs I skip over, so I think I was more down on the album than I should have been. Less Than You Think is bad because of the noise, but Late Greats rocks.

el caballo loco

sam6025 wrote:Fine...the last 2...I still think the A side of A Ghost is Born sucks...it's the b-side that shines.
Where does that leave side C & D?

Side A: At Least That’s What You Said /
Hell Is Chrome / Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Side B: Muzzle of Bees / Hummingbird /
Handshake Drugs

Side C: Wishful Thinking / Company in My Back /
I’m a Wheel / Theologians

Side D: Less Than You Think / The Late Greats

Side D is easily my least favorite. The other three are stellar.

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

sam6025 wrote:The important thing is, neither Son Volt nor The Bottle Rockets albums are near as horrible as Wilco's newest musical dump.
The more I listen to (the album) the more I like it.

It ain't American Central Dust by a long shot, but I think it's pointless to compare the two. Totally different records and sounds.

ACD is still awesome for me. I don't know how y'all can't see it as a pretty much timeless classic. No Turning Back-Pushed Too Far-Exiles is as fine a threepeat as anything you'll hear on a Farrar record anywhere. Jukebox never fails to get my head rockin' in the car. The fiddle and steel guitars throughout are sweet honey to my ears.

In fact, I'm going to go listen to it again right now.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Fine...the last 2...I still think the A side of A Ghost is Born sucks...it's the b-side that shines.

el caballo loco

Rarefied Farrar wrote:
el caballo loco wrote:
sam6025 wrote:P.S. - With the downward spiral Wilco post-Bennett has been on, I think the last 2 bands that matter from the St. Louis scene of the 90s are the Bottle Rockets and Son Volt.
A Ghost Is Born
Agreed. That album divides a lot of people, but I think it's damn good.
To these ears, it's their finest album.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

el caballo loco wrote:
sam6025 wrote:P.S. - With the downward spiral Wilco post-Bennett has been on, I think the last 2 bands that matter from the St. Louis scene of the 90s are the Bottle Rockets and Son Volt.
A Ghost Is Born
Agreed. That album divides a lot of people, but I think it's damn good.

el caballo loco

A Ghost Is Born

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

P.S. - With the downward spiral Wilco post-Bennett has been on, I think the last 2 bands that matter from the St. Louis scene of the 90s are the Bottle Rockets and Son Volt.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I'm just saying, within a couple weeks we had albums from the Holy Triumvirate. So it's hard not to compare since they're all fighting for time in the rotation.

The important thing is, neither Son Volt nor The Bottle Rockets albums are near as horrible as Wilco's newest musical dump.

Right now, the Son Volt album is further down the "must listen to" list then a few other ones. It hasn't had the staying power. I still love Son Volt with my whole body, including my pee pee.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

sam6025 wrote:I just listened to this again a few times recently. It's not as good as it was for me at first. It's good, but it's one of those few albums that doesn't get better the more I listen to it.

That said, it may have a lot to do with Henneman and the Bottle Rockets boys kicking this album's dick into the dust.
Oh come on now, Sam. I'm not gonna argue with you about your opinion,
I'm perfectly okay with that. But really, no need to bring that here of all
places. It's bad enough with the Jay/Jeff thing, we certainly don't need to
fabricate a Jay/Brian competition, if that's even possible (and I mean that
rhetorically).