New fan here!!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Trellis wrote:
dcarter wrote:Welcome har har :) I have never and would never skip a tweedy track. You guys really find them that intolerable? seriously ? No chance at all those statements could be a tad hyperbolic? Just maybe... if you were honest? No bandwagon effect? Trying to sound like the others? Well, who am i to judge. Those Tweedy songs are complete garbage. I must program them out. Thank god Almighty for technology. :roll:
Some of the Tweedy tracks on the UT albums aren't that good. In my case, I was skipping them before I even knew or cared about Tweedy or Jay. What are you talking about? If there's a bandwagon effect, it's people grafting Tweedy's excellence now onto his efforts when he was a teenager, no?
Boy, I was a sweetheart when I first posted here! Pretty funny.
Are they honestly so bad that you can't even listen to the album as it was intended? Truly, really that bad? I find it absurd that someone would find that wide and deep a chasm between the songs that they would program them out. Even if you think that the Tweedy UT songs are not as good as Jay's, people actually find them unlistenable? I find that to be hilarious. I obviously lack a discerning musical ear. Skipping them! Well! Don't get me wrong I am Tweedy=Farrar/Farrar=Tweedy as far as preferring one over the other but I can't grasp the idea that the Tweedy songs would actually cause the complete opposite reaction of the Farrar songs. It just seems somewhat pretentious to say " Oh i skipped Jeff's songs. They were horrible. Oh the humanity. The very idea that they were even put to tape is an eggregious act!" It just makes me laugh is all, visualizing such a thing. Of course, taste is subjective. I respect your right to edit an album. Wow, this is a bit lengthy! Peace to all,doc

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

dcarter wrote:Welcome har har :) I have never and would never skip a tweedy track. You guys really find them that intolerable? seriously ? No chance at all those statements could be a tad hyperbolic? Just maybe... if you were honest? No bandwagon effect? Trying to sound like the others? Well, who am i to judge. Those Tweedy songs are complete garbage. I must program them out. Thank god Almighty for technology. :roll:
Some of the Tweedy tracks on the UT albums aren't that good. In my case, I was skipping them before I even knew or cared about Tweedy or Jay. What are you talking about? If there's a bandwagon effect, it's people grafting Tweedy's excellence now onto his efforts when he was a teenager, no?
Boy, I was a sweetheart when I first posted here! Pretty funny.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

calexico wrote: tweedied?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A new word in my vocabulary.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Hoops wrote:
twitcher73 wrote:You read far too many old threads, Mr. Hoops! :)

Welcome aboard, LF! :lol:
Twitch, there are some gems in the vaults....

LF, look around and have fun here....look out for Calexico!
Why pick on me? Have I been tweedied?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Welcome har har :) I have never and would never skip a tweedy track. You guys really find them that intolerable? seriously ? No chance at all those statements could be a tad hyperbolic? Just maybe... if you were honest? No bandwagon effect? Trying to sound like the others? Well, who am i to judge. Those Tweedy songs are complete garbage. I must program them out. Thank god Almighty for technology. :roll:

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Fenry's first post - 9/22/04 wrote: I don't mind traveling:)

Jesus, ain't that the truth....

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Fenry's first post - 9/22/04 wrote:Hey people, I'm new:)
This is cool, I met Jay that night as well, he was checking some stuff out on stage about 5-10 minutes before the concert started, and me, I was sitting more or less just infront of the guy who took the pics I suppose, and Jay kinda had to walk passed me to get on/off stage. Anyways, when he was walking off stage yours truly mumbled out "Hey Jay!", and he mumbled "Hey man", we shook hands while he was passing, and that felt pretty much as great as it can get. Brilliant concert, and Madam Felle is a great place to have it. Now I just can't wait 'till Son Volt comes to town, anytown in Norway really, I don't mind traveling:)

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

twitcher73 wrote:You read far too many old threads, Mr. Hoops! :)

Twitch, there are some gems in the vaults....

LF, look around and have fun here....look out for Calexico!

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

You read far too many old threads, Mr. Hoops! :)

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Hoops wrote:welcome aboard!

:lol:
okay, so we're ressurecting first posts? god, i was even more of a goober then than i am now, which is totaly sweet.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

welcome aboard!

:lol:

Bozeman

Post by Bozeman »

My own path to Jay was a bit convoluted. I am a huge Billy Bragg fan. I saw him and Wilco perform at the '98 Guiness Festival where they were promoting the Mermaid Avenue album. I picked it up and loved it, which lead me to Wilco. I got all the Wilco albums available at the time and started looking for other stuff Tweedy had done. That lead me to UT, which lead me to Son Volt and Farrar's solo stuff. So I was never a Tweedy track skipper, since I originally went to UT for him anyways.

Since I learned their history I've compared their respective bodies of work. I feel that Farrar's work on UT is much stronger, though by Anodyne Tweedy had really grown to a strong writer/performer. Trace is no doubt better than A.M., although I enjoy A.M. quite a bit (Dash 7 is a good song showcasing Tweedy's low key voice). But after their respective first albums I felt that Tweedy and Co. grew by leaps while Son Volt stayed on an even course. I like the Son Volt albums (the second album is actually my favorite), but nothing surprised me. Being There, Summerteeth, YHF, Bridge EP and the Mermaid albums are brilliant, and when you throw in the side project stuff Tweedy did, like his Golden Smog stuff, it is a very impressive body of work. So after YHF I was liking Tweedy's stuff more. Then I picked up Sebastopol, which for me was a revelation. It got played to death along with ThirdShiftGrottoSlack. Terroir Blues to me is the best stuff Jay has ever done, and I'm loving the live albums right now. So at this point I'm leaning a little more towards Jay. I've only listened to the Ghost album a couple times, but it's the first Wilco album I didn't immediately like (still giving it a chance to grow on me).

Regardless, they're both brilliant and I'm glad I found them.

JSpill

Post by JSpill »

Ever since Trace, I've been a Jay fan. I didn't really know the Jay/Jeff history or a single song by UT until probably about a year ago. I finally heard a couple of songs by UT and didn't really get into it. About 6 months ago I got No Depression and Anodyne and everything just clicked. Huge fan ever since.

I never skipped the Jeff songs, though. Overall, I like Jay's stuff better, but Jeff has some really good songs too. I really like Wilco too. It's nearly impossible to compare Wilco and Jay now because they have chosen two completely different musical avenues. I hate that UT didn't work out but it seems that it was just not meant to be. I feel fortunate to have the four studio CDs and the live stuff that I have and that material will influence people for years to come. Now, however, we have two great choices in Jay and Wilco and maybe someday a Son Volt reunion.

Great to have a new guy on board.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Well, I was a tweedy skipper too. I think that is funny as hell. Is there a 12 step program for that? In fact I was a Grant Hart skipper on Husker du as well. Sebatapol is also a blues guitar tuning which I am guessing Jay was using on some of the tracks on that LP. Vitamins is in a funky tuning that is for sure.

As for what UT could have become... I agree witht the other poster especially if you warmed up to Jeff's stuff like I did. You get twice as many CD's that IS the force.

Tweedy's songs (and voice) were not up to snuff on the UT lps. First CD i heard was March 16-20 just after Anodyne came out. My brother was way into UT and both songwriters as well. I heard Grindstone and thought it was outstanding. Figured I would pick up the new one. I really only liked High Water .. the slow desparate sounding Jay song. I thought the rest of it was ok. At that time I didnt really know Jay or Jeffs voice nor really cared. Here is when it gets kinda funny. Wilco AM comes out and I buy it. Listen through it and thought it was ok but something was missing. Trace comes out and BINGO there was the voice. I was in Jay's "camp" ever since.

I really got back into UT when I picked up the guitar. Slate, 15 Keys, new madrid, Moonshiner etc..

Only in the last year or so have I started liking Tweedys songs. New Madrid, Screen Door were the first ones I liked and I thought YHF was very good.

Anyway welcome aboard!

Lawrence Fan

Re: New fan here!!

Post by Lawrence Fan »

what they might have become?
LOL! Okay, that might be a bit of an understatement. Like I said, I was a fan for about a year, back in the day. Hell, I even have the original No Depression CD from Rockville Records, a 14 year old CD! That should count for something, right? The important thing is that my 14 year haitus is over.

As my older sister says (who is more of an alt. country fan than a UT fan), their legacy is more a matter of influence than a matter of material.

Personaly, I'm all for the material. :D

-gk-