New fan here!!

calexico
Posts: 23494
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:51 am
Location: Terrigen Mists

Post by calexico »

dcarter wrote:
calexico wrote:
tillotson505 wrote:Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?
Or a pinstripe pair of pants to be ironing?
Who am I , Mr. Chips? :lol:
If the brown cords fit...... :lol:

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

calexico wrote:
tillotson505 wrote:Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?
Or a pinstripe pair of pants to be ironing?
Who am I , Mr. Chips? :lol:

calexico
Posts: 23494
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:51 am
Location: Terrigen Mists

Post by calexico »

tillotson505 wrote:Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?
Or a pinstripe pair of pants to be ironing?

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

Trellis wrote:
dcarter wrote:
Are they honestly so bad that you can't even listen to the album as it was intended? Truly, really that bad? I find it absurd that someone would find that wide and deep a chasm between the songs that they would program them out. Even if you think that the Tweedy UT songs are not as good as Jay's, people actually find them unlistenable? I find that to be hilarious. I obviously lack a discerning musical ear. Skipping them! Well! Don't get me wrong I am Tweedy=Farrar/Farrar=Tweedy as far as preferring one over the other but I can't grasp the idea that the Tweedy songs would actually cause the complete opposite reaction of the Farrar songs. It just seems somewhat pretentious to say " Oh i skipped Jeff's songs. They were horrible. Oh the humanity. The very idea that they were even put to tape is an eggregious act!" It just makes me laugh is all, visualizing such a thing. Of course, taste is subjective. I respect your right to edit an album. Wow, this is a bit lengthy! Peace to all,doc
Still kinda confused here... I'm not sure what you mean by "programmed them out," all I ever did was skip the songs, which is a pretty common thing for people to do when they listen to music. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you direct us to listen to albums "as they were intended." Were the UT albums meant to be listened to in their entirety, from beginning to end, all the time? And if they were, why should any listener be bound by that? Also, I don't know why you find it so funny that one would have a different reaction to the Farrar songs than to the Tweedy songs. Their voices and rhythms and emphases are very different. I would find it weird if I reacted to each of them the same. And how exactly is it "pretentious" to not like Tweedy's voice when he sang stuff like "The Long Cut," which, along with LF, I still don't get as a good song?
And yes, honestly, some of those songs are really bad.
Albums I often don't skip a track on? Automatic for the People, Wide Swing Tremolo, The Ghosts That Haunt Me.
Cheers!
Well apparently I am in the minority but that is ok. Of course you can do anything that you want.Enjoy. That is America and even more so Canada.
Yes their voices, rhythms are different blah blah blah, my auditory sense works just fine. I am not able to find them so different that they cannot even exist on the same album. I have learned through this thread that i obviously do not have the ear for music that some do since I can't tell the huge difference. I find none of those tracks bad much less "really bad". I certainly think that some are better than others but "really bad" escapes my unwashed ears. I did not want to get into a pissing match, I was just amazed by this 'skipping tracks' thing that apparently many people do but is new to me. I may look onto a music appreciation class at the local community college so that I can stop fooling myself. But seriously even a song that isn't my favorite ,I just play it through. I do not mean to judge 'skippers', though it certainly seems like i am, I am just trying to wrap my mind around it. I still think that I am a music lover, I just do not feel very refined now... :? Ya'll do something fun this wekend doc

Trellis
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Peterborough, ON

Post by Trellis »

dcarter wrote:
Are they honestly so bad that you can't even listen to the album as it was intended? Truly, really that bad? I find it absurd that someone would find that wide and deep a chasm between the songs that they would program them out. Even if you think that the Tweedy UT songs are not as good as Jay's, people actually find them unlistenable? I find that to be hilarious. I obviously lack a discerning musical ear. Skipping them! Well! Don't get me wrong I am Tweedy=Farrar/Farrar=Tweedy as far as preferring one over the other but I can't grasp the idea that the Tweedy songs would actually cause the complete opposite reaction of the Farrar songs. It just seems somewhat pretentious to say " Oh i skipped Jeff's songs. They were horrible. Oh the humanity. The very idea that they were even put to tape is an eggregious act!" It just makes me laugh is all, visualizing such a thing. Of course, taste is subjective. I respect your right to edit an album. Wow, this is a bit lengthy! Peace to all,doc
Still kinda confused here... I'm not sure what you mean by "programmed them out," all I ever did was skip the songs, which is a pretty common thing for people to do when they listen to music. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you direct us to listen to albums "as they were intended." Were the UT albums meant to be listened to in their entirety, from beginning to end, all the time? And if they were, why should any listener be bound by that? Also, I don't know why you find it so funny that one would have a different reaction to the Farrar songs than to the Tweedy songs. Their voices and rhythms and emphases are very different. I would find it weird if I reacted to each of them the same. And how exactly is it "pretentious" to not like Tweedy's voice when he sang stuff like "The Long Cut," which, along with LF, I still don't get as a good song?
And yes, honestly, some of those songs are really bad.
Albums I often don't skip a track on? Automatic for the People, Wide Swing Tremolo, The Ghosts That Haunt Me.
Cheers!

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

tillotson505 wrote:
dcarter wrote:I am off good abbott. Thank ye for thine exorcism.
Just like that and the deed is done.
You must have on your medicine hat. talk to ya later.

tillotson505
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 am
Location: North Central Ohio

Post by tillotson505 »

dcarter wrote:I am off good abbott. Thank ye for thine exorcism.
Just like that and the deed is done.

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

I am off good abbott. Thank ye for thine exorcism.

tillotson505
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 am
Location: North Central Ohio

Post by tillotson505 »

dcarter wrote:
tillotson505 wrote:Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?
Hey there brother1 I should be asleep. I have to wake up at 5 . This demon board has me an hour late :lol:
To bed with thee Demon Doug.

TO BED I cast thee!!!!!

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

tillotson505 wrote:Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?
Hey there brother1 I should be asleep. I have to wake up at 5 . This demon board has me an hour late :lol:

tillotson505
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 am
Location: North Central Ohio

Post by tillotson505 »

Don't you have a lesson plan to be filling out or something?

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

Okay then. To each his own :lol: Good night and sleep well

Lawrence Fan
Posts: 6677
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: The corner of Awesome and What The Hell?!?!

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:I understand what you are saying. Please take no offense,because definitely none is intended, you really program out some songs? I probably sound like an idiot to some but again that flabbergasts me.people do see and hear things differently. It makes living worthwhile. Thanks Fan. :)
Oh no! I am never so motivated as to program out songs. But when listening to certain albums I skip some of his songs, that's all. Either click teh mouse or press teh skip on teh remote. ;)

dcarter
Posts: 11734
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: tampa FL

Post by dcarter »

I understand what you are saying. Please take no offense,because definitely none is intended, you really program out some songs? I probably sound like an idiot to some but again that flabbergasts me.people do see and hear things differently. It makes living worthwhile. Thanks Fan. :)

Lawrence Fan
Posts: 6677
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: The corner of Awesome and What The Hell?!?!

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:
Trellis wrote:
dcarter wrote:Welcome har har :) I have never and would never skip a tweedy track. You guys really find them that intolerable? seriously ? No chance at all those statements could be a tad hyperbolic? Just maybe... if you were honest? No bandwagon effect? Trying to sound like the others? Well, who am i to judge. Those Tweedy songs are complete garbage. I must program them out. Thank god Almighty for technology. :roll:
Some of the Tweedy tracks on the UT albums aren't that good. In my case, I was skipping them before I even knew or cared about Tweedy or Jay. What are you talking about? If there's a bandwagon effect, it's people grafting Tweedy's excellence now onto his efforts when he was a teenager, no?
Boy, I was a sweetheart when I first posted here! Pretty funny.
Are they honestly so bad that you can't even listen to the album as it was intended? Truly, really that bad? I find it absurd that someone would find that wide and deep a chasm between the songs that they would program them out. Even if you think that the Tweedy UT songs are not as good as Jay's, people actually find them unlistenable? I find that to be hilarious. I obviously lack a discerning musical ear. Skipping them! Well! Don't get me wrong I am Tweedy=Farrar/Farrar=Tweedy as far as preferring one over the other but I can't grasp the idea that the Tweedy songs would actually cause the complete opposite reaction of the Farrar songs. It just seems like something pretentious to say " Oh i skipped Jeff's songs. They were horrible. Oh the humanity. The very idea that they were even put to tape is an eggregious act!" It just makes me laugh is all, visualizing such a thing. Of course, taste is subjective. I respect your right to edit an album. Wow, this is a bit lengthy! Peace to all,doc
In my defense, since this is my original post from 'whenever' 2004 (and I know I'm not actually quoting myself, nor am I actually responding specifically to the quoted text), when I first heard Trace I was blown away, which caused me to go back and re-devour the UT stuff. So I did this with a new found devotion to Jay in mind. With that said, I skip far fewer Tweedy songs than I used to. I still don't get The Long Cut, which a lot of Wilco fans list as their favorite UT Tweedy song. My top 10 UT songs are going to have at least 8 Jay songs still. My favorite Tweedy UT songs, as of this writing: Gun, Black Eye, Wherever, New Madrid, Acuff-Rose, Screen Door, Train, Fatal Wound. Great stuff.

Post Reply