What other country/rock music do y'all like?

smoke

Post by smoke »

Good to hear Buckner is finally getting props. Also good to hear about his temper. i saw the same thing here in KC last month. Some dip shit in the audience told him to stop tuning and play. He told her to shut the fuck up and go bother her boyfriend. Strange thing is that he spent 30 minutes before the show with me and my pal shooting the shit like we were brothers.

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

i'm also listening to the new Wilco stream as we speak, and it sounds great

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

hey people. i haven't been here in a while, so it's time to catch up on what ya'll have been listening to. As for me, i've spent the last month listening to new Morrissey, The magnetic fields (69 love songs is awesome), Franz Ferdinand, and new Pedro the Lion, among other stuff. It's all good. Rock 'n roll thrives in the independent universe.

Post by Guest »

just about everthing contributed thus far and ...

nick drake
townes van zandt
chris mills
giant sand
calexico
the band
the backsliders
marah
steve earle
vic chestnutt
belleville (the band, not the city)
hem
gorky's zygotic mynci
ass ponys
slaid cleaves
frog holler
iron & wine

-bd

shooterdave31

Post by shooterdave31 »

Wilco
V-Roys/Scott Miller
Ryan Adams
Whiskeytown
Tim Easton
Matthew Ryan
Bottle Rockets
Evan Dando
The Black Keys (not altcountry but awesome nonetheless)
Old 97's
Steve Earle
Johnny Cash
Jayhawks
Golden Smog
The Doxies (local Columbia, MO band)
Pete Yorn
Paul Westerberg

moonshiner

Buckner

Post by moonshiner »

All of Buckner's records are top notch. He can be a bit testy tho. While performing a while back and opening for Son Volt there was a noisy bunch in the back and Richard stopped at the end of a song and yelled for the group to "shut the fuck up you c*nts..." They did. And everyone was shocked for all of a few seconds. I wrote him off after that even tho I loved his music live. Then I came across Since. I buy everything he turns out now.

Post by Guest »

will johnson - murder of tides

Post by Guest »

impasse is a great album. met richard last month. probably one of the more personable musicians i've met so far, but i've also heard he can be a wee bit difficult too. but , man, what a record.

fygmynt

stephen malkmus

Post by fygmynt »

hey lukenmo...

i think that pig lib is definitely an exciting record to hear from malkmus; it sounds like he's having a blast. i think you're right about it being a purebred rock 'n' roll album...i only wish it were more consistent. i'm the most hardcore malkmus fan there ever was, but i can't hardly listen to the first half of this record. from track 6 on, i'm hooked, i love everything...but the only song i can stomach from the first half is "do not feed the oyster"...and i don't like it as much as anything after track 5.

i think he should've replaced the first five songs with the EP that came packaged with the first however-many-copies. i love everything on it, especially "old jerry." great song...why didn't it make the cut?

~fygmynt

tf312

Post by tf312 »

richard buckner is about as good as it gets these days. also mark lannegan's solo albums are great.

Post by Guest »

Old 97's
Charlie Chesterman & The Fabulous Motorbikes
Kathleen Edwards
Springsteen
Bob Delelvante
John Wesley Harding
Tim Easton
Hot Club of Cowtown
Social D/Ness

tombola

favs

Post by tombola »

beck
harper
j johnson
cash
big head todd
freddy jones band
robert zimmerman
ziggy

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

by the way, fygmynt, what do you think about my earlier comment in this discussion on stephen malkmus' latest?

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

fygmynt, it completely agree with you that "massachussetts" is a great album. it's one of the minimalist masterpieces of the last 10 years, along with the red house painters' "ocean beach" and "songs for a blue guitar," sparklehorses' "good morning spider," eels "electro-shock blues," and more recently beck's "sea change." this is an incredible genre of music--intelligent, emotionally sophisticated, experimental. if i had time i would write a book about the genre. thanks for your comments and welcome, even though i'm relatively new here as well

anodyne1975

Post by anodyne1975 »

armchair martian and drag the river are amazing.