What other country/rock music do y'all like?

fygmynt

might as well post here first!

Post by fygmynt »

hey guys...i'm new here...

i jumped on the farrar wagon i guess around the time they released the uncle tupelo greatest hits comp. i listened to it obsessively for however long it took them to come out with all the rest of the albums...a release date that i anticipated with more fervor than anything since the last pavement album. i'd bought anodyne soon after the greatest hits, and i'd been a wilco fan since being there...but it wasn't tweedy who struck me about uncle tupelo. and after listening long and hard to all of the uncle tupelo reissues, i stick by my claim that farrar was the true leader of the band, both artistically and emotionally (of course, tweedy had some masterpieces, "watch me fall," and "the long cut," to name just two). i don't have any of farrar's solo stuff yet (if you don't count the slaughter rule soundtrack), but i'm looking forward to it. what brought me to this message board was a desire to learn more about this more recent half of his career...i just moved to fort collins, CO, and he's playing a show in a few weeks at the mishawaka ampitheatre (i probably mangled that spelling), deep in the recesses of the poudre river canyon, about a half-hour drive from my new house. it'll be my first colorado concert. i'm very stoked, and would like to be more prepared.

i say that i just recently discovered jay, but i've been an alt.country fan for a while now. and after four pages of this thread, and hundreds of bands and musicians listed, i'm surprised as hell that nobody's mentioned the scud mountain boys. i know joe pernice and the pernice brothers have been noted, but come on! the scud mountain boys are the ONLY alt.country group that can give uncle tupelo a run for their money. massachussetts is one of the supreme masterpieces of the genre. and while pernice has done great things since then (the bros., chappaquiddick skyline, and big tobacco), nothing he's done has topped that record. i implore all of you to find massachussetts as soon as possible. it was released by sub pop in 1996, and should still be in print.

as for the rest of the genre...i bought ryan adam's gold but sold it soon after. it seemed a little thin to me. but i do want to try out his solo debut heartbreaker, and some other whiskeytown offerings (i own and like stranger's almanac). i'm a big fan of trace, and all the wilco albums aside from AM.

neko case, lucinda williams, big star, mountain goats and silkworm (two of my very favorite groups...i'm thrilled they've been mentioned), the star room boys (pure, modern country from athens, ga, where i went to college), the byrds and gram parsons (especially his solo efforts), the jayhawks, centro-matic, early neil young, green on red, etc etc...

...and that's keeping it all on the twangy side of things. don't even get me started about the indie side of my life. i'm a relative newcomer to alt.country (save for the scud mountain boys), but me and indie rock go waaaay back. pavement, for example, will forever be my favorite group.

so here i am, everybody, nice to be here!
~fygmynt

The Mother Hips

Post by Guest »

The mother hips are on "hiatus" is the term they are using.. but frontman Tim Bluhm is still playing around and has recently released a great album entitled The Soft Adventure Ep / Colts.. highly reccomended... I think there are some clips on this page:

http://www.motherhips.com/albums/

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

i think moonshiner's list profoundly lacks discrimination. many of those musicians/bands are decent, but i would hardly call them essentials. the new kathleen edwards is a case in point. grangers have bought the hype, apparently, whereas i think her album is totally mediocre. many of them, in fact, are totally unproven, even if their first efforts are decent. but maybe i'm changing the terms of this discussion. it isn't "what's essential" but "what else is out there." maybe i should start a new subject line of essential (but potentially obscure) listens. absoutely essential, for example, is eel's "electro-shock blues," which has amazing alt-country numbers on it (climbing to the moon, ant farm, dead of winter) that compare favorably to the best tunes off of "stranger's almanac". and has a whole lot more besides

jcdirks

other country/rock stuff

Post by jcdirks »

agree with the mother hips, although they have recently broken up; should also try jack ingram from houston if you like the country rock thang.

NoDepression

Post by NoDepression »

Handsome Family
Cary Hudson
Wilco
Blue Mountain
Pine Valley Cosmonauts
Alajandro Escovedo
Gram Parsons
Bottle Rockets

Post by Guest »

Tom Waits

Glossary "How we spend out midnights" (I think they are touring right now). Kind of half old Wilco, half indie rock. Good songwriting.

Lucero "Tennessee" (always touring). Alt country Nirvana. Awesome live.

Michael Acree "Hymns for the broken hearted" (don't think he tours yet)
Farrar influenced, pessimissm, belt it out voice, so sad you want to put him out of his misery... but you have to let him play first.

latest Bare Jr solid album. Never hit it big, but maybe that's good.

Porterhall, TN "Welcome to PH, TN" Though, having the album and seeing them live are two different things. The album is traditonal honky-tonk with tradtional instrumentation. I saw them recently in St Louis, their live act has become super, ultra, sweat soaked mega-rockin'. Who knows what they're next album will sound like.

New Farrar is incredible. I'm glad he's had success, but I love seeing him for 10 or 15 bucks. I hope he doesn't get notcied too much. he is The god-father of the aforementioned bands except Tom Waits, who is the godfather of eccentric American rock.
Did anyone know that Acree, Glossary and Porterhall are all from the same small town in Tennessee? Murfreesboro- close to where Bonaroo takes place. I'm going to have to go down there sometime and check that place out. Funny, Tom Waits mentions Murfreesboro in a song on Mule Variations. I heard that there are a lot of good bands down there, just completely overshadowed by Nashville which is right up the road.

creepersin

Post by creepersin »

all stuff farrar
neil young
hank
waylon
willie
cash
tom waits
misfits
ramones

Post by Guest »

the new kings of leon is kickin'

doublebiz

music

Post by doublebiz »

moonshiner hands down i have never seen uncle tupelo but i can safely say son volt on 3 occasions and i am afraid Jay on 6 occasions 3 in new york (2 at the bowery and 1 at irving plaza) and in a small pub in Brighton uk (about 50-70 people) a 2 1/2 split set which was just superb.
what drew me to your music was drive like jehu super little band and yes i have seen fugazi on a couple of occasions(wonderful)
i haveseen wilco on about 5 times both in uk and usa but that just do not do it live for me apart from yankee foxtrot show.
any way i am going to see kings of leon a couple of times this week really looking forward to this.
what about quicksand
and rosie thomas wonderful.
keep those bands coming everyone that posted

moonshiner

bring it on to you

Post by moonshiner »

doublebiz - I've seen well over half the ones listed here (including Fugazi which I failed to list!) Many multiple times.

I've seen Uncle Tupelo three times and Son Volt four times. I've never seen Jay solo so am stoked about his shows in San Fransisco at the Great American Music Hall on 7/20 - 7/21.

doublebiz

Post by doublebiz »

hey moonshiner you have some incredible taste in music man,how manu of them have you seen

Post by Guest »

songs:ohia
little grizzly

moonshiner

Other rock music second to UT/SV/JF

Post by moonshiner »

Pullman, Rex, Joel R.L. Phelps and the Downer Trio, Silkworm, Elliot, My Morning Jacket, Califone/Red Red Meat, Black Heart Procession, Kathleen Edwards, Kinski, Richard Buckner, Modest Mouse, Hot Snakes/Drive Like Jehu, Portastatic/Superchunk, Dharma Bums, The Magnolias, The Replacements/Paul Westerberg, Rosie Thomas, Seam/Bitch Magnet/Bastro, Squirrel Bait, The Silos/Walter Salas-Humara, Vulgar Boatmen, Prisonshake, Arcwelder, Ditch Witch, Small, Slint, The Karl Hendriks Trio/The Speaking Canaries, Grifters, Refrigerator, Buffalo Tom, Lungfish, Omit, David Grubbs, Drunken Boat, Jean Paul Sartre Experience, The Wedding Present, The Buck Pets, The Bats, John Fahey, Michael Hedges, 90 Day Men, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Kasey Chambers (does a commendable job covering of Son Volts "Tear Stained Eye" on her latest ep), East River Pipe, Seaweed, Surface of the Earth, "Nebraska" by Springsteen, The Long Riders, The Del Fuegos, Titanic Love Affair (ex-Wilco gtr Jay Bennet), Hayden, Dianogah, Thin White Rope, Thirty Ought Six, Pinetop Seven, Wilco...

d360

Post by d360 »

Dylan
Townes Van Zandt
Sloberbone
old 97s
Whiskeytown (ryan adams)
Steve Earl
Gillian Welch

Those are the main ones ive been playing lately anyway.

The Barstow Kid

Post by The Barstow Kid »

Varnaline
Okkervil River - must check out "Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See"...one of the best albums ever