New Son Volt listener!

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Welcome aboard.

Moonshiner26

Post by Moonshiner26 »

You guys are right on, about "its the voice" and "turning into an obsession"

For me, it was the "March" UT album that did it (bet ya can't guess which song, ha)....sometime in the mid-nineties....long about 97.

Went from there to Anodyne, then to "Trace" and was hooked.

Saw SV live for the first time in Lexington, KY on the "Wide Swing Tremelo" tour.

I'm super stoked they are coming to Newport, KY in August, only 20 minutes away from home!!!!!! Sweet.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

great work. Be sure to include Sebastopol Jay's solo project.

For yer Farrar PhD, only after you are fully briefed after the relevant coursework, Terroir Blues.

Come here for background and don't ask like I did once, "what's up with Jay being so glum on Terroir?"

Dragoro

Post by Dragoro »

I kinda went all in. Got such strong recommedations from the cowboy junkies forum, that I went out and bought all the albums that ituens had for son volt. Glad that I did!

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

You are in for a treat. Just curious what SV did you start with?

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

In 3 short years from 1990 to 1993 UT wrote the canon for all things insurgent country, alt country, cow punk, white soul, real country etc...It takes a young man about that long to grow descent fucking beard let alone
write 4 incredible albums
I don't believe anything this important (musically speaking) has been born out of the greater St. Louis region since Chuck Berry and Johnnie Johnson (he's the under appreciated dude that gave Berry his song structure but didn't get born in STL), Miles Davis, Ike Turner and Hamiet Bluiett. I'm sure there are others in Festus.

smokebomb

Post by smokebomb »

It's the voice.

I'll never forget hearing Slate for the first time. I immediately knew that if this guy could write more songs like that to sing this was going to become a commitment. Turns out he could. 9 years later...

If it's the voice that gets you check out Last Minute Shakedown, Hanging Blue Side, and the heart-wrenchingly beautiful Left A Slide.

New addictions are always good. Enjoy.

Dragoro

Post by Dragoro »

Well, Ive been listening to em non stop for like 3 hours now non stop, so Id say theres a good chance lol.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I'd say you have a 25% chance of a musical obsession that'll grow and crest over the next 24 months and linger for the rest of your days.

Congrats and welcome.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

Welcome!

Boy, have you ever tapped into a rich vein! You'll be blown away when you start digging into older SV and Jay's solo stuff...

Oh, and then there's this little band he was in before that called Uncle Tupelo, in case you didn't already know that...

I remember discovering UT (Anodyne) about 7 years ago by pure accident and wondering "Where the hell has this band been my whole life???". And it just got better from there - going back in time to the older UT stuff and forward in time thru the SV/solo stuff.

Damn! I almost envy you!

Dragoro

New Son Volt listener!

Post by Dragoro »

Just figured Id say hi. Discovered em off of recommendations from the Cowboy Junkies forum. Cant believe Im just now discovering em, what a great band!