Key changes

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

professor_squishy wrote:In 'Roll On', the verse has the chords C, F and G which usually means the key of C. The verse has the chords D, A, Am and G. D, Am and G are also in the key of C, but A is not. So, yea, not sure that justifies a 'key change', but it normally doesn't fit.
A is definitely in the key of C (C has no sharps/flats). Am is the relative minor of a C major.

jon

Post by jon »

I love a key change if you don't realize it happened and it just sounds dramatic or other.

Ya gotta sneak it in...and it's most often a happy accident if it ends up being successful.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

take what you need
leave even more a Bb F G THING

its a different kind of madness thats around OUND!
G C G G C F A
Dm Gm C F F7 Eb Bb A

Dm only get better from here G to
G minor
don't have any F fear

when yer old C
theres no reason G
or rhyme D
sidesteppin A

instrumental Blue Side D A C G
ends on E

I like the chords after push back with all your might D to a Gm

All in all, can't think of much of key changes(nor bridges) and am not sure Roll On is a key change...more D A Am G

its more a matter of semantics.

I see what yer saying though
Last edited by megaballs1 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

In 'Roll On', the verse has the chords C, F and G which usually means the key of C. The verse has the chords D, A, Am and G. D, Am and G are also in the key of C, but A is not. So, yea, not sure that justifies a 'key change', but it normally doesn't fit.

I thought Pushed had a similar thing going on. Not sure what that turnaround/bridge thing in Dust O' Daylight is.

Art Guy - help me out here, I'm dyin'!

fraggle

key changes

Post by fraggle »

Pretty sure there's a key change in Hanging Blue Side.

RainDog

Post by RainDog »

For those of us with naive ears, it would sure be nice if some musically inclined person would explain how to listen for a key change and/or modulation (whatever that is). Using examples from ACD would make the explanation all the more incisive. Pretty please? Thanks!

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Sorry to be "that guy", but Dust of Daylight isn't a key change (or a modulation, really). And I'm not listening at the moment, but I'm not sure about Pushed either. I'll give you Roll On. Not a key change, though.

Unhurried Ways

Post by Unhurried Ways »

I also can't think of any other songs where Jay uses key changes.
Agree that when the songwriter jumps up a whole step it's usually a sign that the song's running out of gas, eg, Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys.
Jay is not using the modulation in that manner, though.
I think he was pulled in that direction by the lap and pedal steel instrumentation he planned to use on this artistic endeavor.

jay's_goatee

Post by jay's_goatee »

"Mandy" too.

hardwood floor

Re: Key changes

Post by hardwood floor »

professor_squishy wrote:Is it my imagination or is ACD the first(?) time Jay has used key changes/modulations in his song structures? On ACD, I see at least 3 - Roll On, Pushed to Far and that little turnaround thing in Dust of Daylight.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other tunes in his past where he's used key changes... but I haven't put much thought into it.

Just wonderin'...
i noticed that & found it jarring and unpleasant

i hate key changes ... or, at least, i can't stand normal G-to-A or C-to-D key changes ... let's go up two tones to set up the big finish!

they remind me of "Can't Smile without You" by Barry Manilow

professor_squishy

Key changes

Post by professor_squishy »

Is it my imagination or is ACD the first(?) time Jay has used key changes/modulations in his song structures? On ACD, I see at least 3 - Roll On, Pushed to Far and that little turnaround thing in Dust of Daylight.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other tunes in his past where he's used key changes... but I haven't put much thought into it.

Just wonderin'...