Your top 3 songs on American Central Dust

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

Having now heard them all live:

1. strength and doubt
2. wheels don't move
3. cocaine and ashes

Roll on & No Turning Back are still right there, but they raised the bar with the live versions of the above three.

smokebomb

Post by smokebomb »

Rarefied Farrar wrote:I listened again for the first time in 2-3 weeks (my Gawd!) and these three stood out:

Exiles
Strength and Doubt
Sultana
Agree wholeheartedly on Exiles and S&D. Didn't think much of them at first. A lot of times Jay's tunes are creepers. But they always end up getting there for me.

Except for Sultana. Without a doubt Jay's worst song ever. For many, many reasons. But everyone's entitled to a couple of stinkers, even the greats.

Can't pick a number 3 because the rest of the album is fantastic.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

I listened again for the first time in 2-3 weeks (my Gawd!) and these three stood out:

Exiles
Strength and Doubt
Sultana

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

had ACD on a road trip over the weekend and was pleasantly reminded how much tracks 5, 6 and 7 when listened to in order are so pretty, pretty, pretty sweet.

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

My top 3 songs on American Central Dust:
1. These Roads Don't Move
2. One Fast Move or I'm Gone
3. Willamine

bensco

3 favorite

Post by bensco »

I agree with all of the songs you list untill you get to the ACD ones.The older ones all have a unique sound but I am on an island thinking the newer ones are just not distinct in any way. I guess I am just in a rockin' phase and not a sleepin' phase. I do seem to be the only one sheding any negative light on ACD. I'll get over it.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Rarefied Farrar wrote:
el caballo loco wrote:I like a little Volt plugged in. Jay can shred and blister with the best of them. My nipples still remain hard a good 10 minutes after listening to Jay just rip it on "Chickamauga." However, it is the slow/mid-tempo beauty of Son Volt/Jay Farrar that really hits me in the gut. Stuff like Still Be Around, Moonshiner, Slate, Whiskey Bottle, Tear Stained Eye, Windfall, Ten Second News, Out of the Picture, Too Early, Mystifies Me, Creosote, Left a Slide, Last Minute Shakedown, Strands, Streets That Time Walks, Hanging Blue Side, No Rolling Back, Hanging On To You, Heart on the Ground, California, All of Your Might, Barstow, Underground Dream, Methamphetamine, Adrenaline & Heresy, Bicycle Hotel, Pushed Too Far, No Turning Back, Roll On, Dust of Daylight, Strength and Doubt, Big Sur, Low Life Kingdom, Final Horrors, and Sea Engines are the essence of what makes Jay Farrar one of the most amazing singer/songwriters of our generation. I don't see how you can be a Son Volt or Jay Farrar fan and be even lukewarm on those songs. They represent the absolute nuts and bolts of what is Son Volt and/or Jay Farrar.
"Stuff like", eh? 35 songs later...tell me you didn't remember all of those off the top of your head. :wink:
You're either with us or against us.

Rarefied Farrar

el caballo loco wrote:I like a little Volt plugged in. Jay can shred and blister with the best of them. My nipples still remain hard a good 10 minutes after listening to Jay just rip it on "Chickamauga." However, it is the slow/mid-tempo beauty of Son Volt/Jay Farrar that really hits me in the gut. Stuff like Still Be Around, Moonshiner, Slate, Whiskey Bottle, Tear Stained Eye, Windfall, Ten Second News, Out of the Picture, Too Early, Mystifies Me, Creosote, Left a Slide, Last Minute Shakedown, Strands, Streets That Time Walks, Hanging Blue Side, No Rolling Back, Hanging On To You, Heart on the Ground, California, All of Your Might, Barstow, Underground Dream, Methamphetamine, Adrenaline & Heresy, Bicycle Hotel, Pushed Too Far, No Turning Back, Roll On, Dust of Daylight, Strength and Doubt, Big Sur, Low Life Kingdom, Final Horrors, and Sea Engines are the essence of what makes Jay Farrar one of the most amazing singer/songwriters of our generation. I don't see how you can be a Son Volt or Jay Farrar fan and be even lukewarm on those songs. They represent the absolute nuts and bolts of what is Son Volt and/or Jay Farrar.
"Stuff like", eh? 35 songs later...tell me you didn't remember all of those off the top of your head. :wink:

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

I like a little Volt plugged in. Jay can shred and blister with the best of them. My nipples still remain hard a good 10 minutes after listening to Jay just rip it on "Chickamauga." However, it is the slow/mid-tempo beauty of Son Volt/Jay Farrar that really hits me in the gut. Stuff like Still Be Around, Moonshiner, Slate, Whiskey Bottle, Tear Stained Eye, Windfall, Ten Second News, Out of the Picture, Too Early, Mystifies Me, Creosote, Left a Slide, Last Minute Shakedown, Strands, Streets That Time Walks, Hanging Blue Side, No Rolling Back, Hanging On To You, Heart on the Ground, California, All of Your Might, Barstow, Underground Dream, Methamphetamine, Adrenaline & Heresy, Bicycle Hotel, Pushed Too Far, No Turning Back, Roll On, Dust of Daylight, Strength and Doubt, Big Sur, Low Life Kingdom, Final Horrors, and Sea Engines are the essence of what makes Jay Farrar one of the most amazing singer/songwriters of our generation. I don't see how you can be a Son Volt or Jay Farrar fan and be even lukewarm on those songs. They represent the absolute nuts and bolts of what is Son Volt and/or Jay Farrar.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Last edited by ShuckOwens on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Old Skynyrd actually rocks. I don't get trying to compliment one artist by knocking other bands.

Rarefied Farrar

...and you're just sayin' wrong.

bensco

three favorite ACD songs

Post by bensco »

Thanks for the Skynard suggestion but I have been over that one since 7th grade. I love Jay and will be at the B'ham show in a few weeks but come on, somebody has to stand up and say ACD is not that great and the Big Sur is no improvement. It is all to droopy and sounds pretty much the same. Son Volt is better when they kick it up just a notch or two. I'm just sayin'...

Rarefied Farrar

chinacat wrote:Dynamite
Roll On
Sultana
Alright, we finally have a Sultana sighting! Nice. I still like that song, but it's anathema to most of this board.

el caballo loco

Re: Favorite ACD songs

Post by el caballo loco »

bensco wrote:Any one with a trace of a guitar solo. Wait, there are none. That being said,here are my top three:
Oh, I get it. You are saying you don't like the album. Clever.