How much do the words mean to you?

Plastiche

Post by Plastiche »

ok alright ok alright

pdg

Post by pdg »

sturgeongeneral wrote:it depends on the artist.
Absolutely. I have no idea what Sigur Ros are singing in their songs, and I do not care to translate them either. But, there are many songs ruined by dumb lyrics. The worst songs for me use a combination of predictable rhyming cliches with lines repeated over and over.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Words never.....umm, rarely hurt me....so yeah, I'm down with lyrics. Especially good ones!

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Was iTunes back then?

Could you still Super-size With the Ron Clown for 99 cents?

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

megaballs1 wrote:"planned obsolescence, manufactured senseless, no money down just yer life that you don't own. Cash back ...you want fries with that."

I'm thinking he's talking about America in 2006...easy credit, service jobs, no manufacturing, etc.

That line has meaning within the song.
I'm with ya Mega.
It captures our society pretty well.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Perhaps, but that doesn't stop it from being terrible in my opinion.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

"planned obsolescence, manufactured senseless, no money down just yer life that you don't own. Cash back ...you want fries with that."

I'm thinking he's talking about America in 2006...easy credit, service jobs, no manufacturing, etc.

That line has meaning within the song.

derekf

Post by derekf »

stablew wrote:I usually think Jay's excellent, but he never should have written, "Do you want fries with that?"
Preach it.

stablew

Post by stablew »

If lyrics are embarassingly bad (even at some part of a song), that ruins it for me. I usually think Jay's excellent, but he never should have written, "Do you want fries with that?" Also, some people do the cut-and-paste approach really well, and others should stick with a conversational approach.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

I think they are both essential. For me, the music allows me to get into something. The staying power is predicated on the lyrics. If I don't like the music, I'll never go back to something. If the music moves me in some fashion, I'll go back. After repeated listenings, the lyrics start to soak in. Ultimately, I think the ability for an album or an artist to stand the test of time is predicated on the content and quality of the lyrics. For me to even give it a chance in the first place, the music is crucial.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

it depends on the artist. i have a special affinity for singer/songwriter types and in that regard lyrics are quite important. examples of yesteryear being bob dylan, james taylor, gordon lightfoot, jim croce, etc. i have always regarded jay f. as a combination musician/poet and therefore, the lyrics hold as much weight as the melody and instrumentation. that is partially why i enjoy a farrar tune with just his vocals and a guitar as much as with a full band. on the other hand, when it comes to hair metal bands the lyrics hold no weight at all, however, the brand of hairspray becomes infinitely more prominent.

kellyann

Post by kellyann »

i have always been more of a lyricist

i obviously need great music too, but for a band/song
to really throw me, i need to be very connected to what
they are saying, not just what they play.

head tone harmony

How much do the words mean to you?

Post by head tone harmony »

I have never paid much attention to lyrics. Some of my friends are the exact opposite. My sister could sing every word of every song growing up and I just never got it. If it sounded good, then it was good. If the lyrics told a good story, or painted a good picture, then bonus. But if you sang gibberish behind some good chord changes, I couldn't care less. Does that make me simple?