norseman197

Post by norseman197 »

Thanks jay.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Feel Free

norseman197

Post by norseman197 »

countryfeedback wrote:Street That Time Walks?

8)
If you were there and know what song it is I'd be happy to change it.

What I remember from that song and jotted down was a line about status quo, which matches the song lyrics for "Streets That Time Walks" on the Wide Swing Tremolo album. If this is the wrong song, then please correct me.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

hardwood floor wrote:yammering hipster dickheads
:lol:

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Street That Time Walks?

8)

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

was very relieved at minimal talking at the philly show

was a lot worse last night at the same venue for the weakerthans

had to keep moving to get away from the yammering hipster dickheads

norseman197

Post by norseman197 »

I enjoyed the show, though I felt that their uptempo/rock approach many of the songs in the first half of the set didn't work well/serve the songs the best. The last half, especially Medication and Afterglow was great. And I enjoyed hearing them do the Waylon Jennings cover.

WCL the venue is a polished gem of a music hall. The decor is nice and clean, unlike other music venues I've been to in Philly. Oh yeah and the bathrooms were very clean(though someone let loose in the upstairs bathroom). The sightlines are good and the sound was good, unlike what I've experienced at the Starlight. Also the crowds were less talkative that the ones at the Starlight. I actually asked this girl if she could lower her voice because I was trying to listen to Cat Power. She ok, then turned to her b/f and said "What its only a show?" Aaaagh. That same show, 3 girls tried to sit on the table, blocking my friends and I views from behind the table, only to find out that they hadn't nailed/bolted the table down.

As far as the TLA goes, I saw Gomez there in March and I liked the sightlines and the sound there. It's a no frills place, but at least the sound was good and I could see the band pretty well even from the back of the venue. Never been to the Khyber, and frankly I don't see any reason to go and drink crappy beer, deal with sticky floors, Trainspotting toilets and crowds. Been there, done that.

drummer8864 wrote:Does anyone have a setlist for the Philly show??
This is a rough guess for the set list at WCL. Please let me know if you can add anything or correct me on tracks:

1. The Picture
2. Feel Free
3. Underground Dream
4. Down To The Wire
5. Dust of Daylight
6. Highways and Cigarettes
7. Cocaine and Ashes?
8. When The Wheels Don't Move
9. Ten Second News
10. Dynamite
11. Pushed Too Far
12. Jukebox of Steel
13. Song from Jack Kerouac movie
14. Methamphetamine
15. Tear Stained Eye
16. Strength and Doubt
17. No Turning Back
18. Hard Times(Gob Iron song)
19. Medication
20. ?
21. The Search
22. ??
23. Bandages and Scars
24. Afterglow 61

Encore:
E1-Action
E2-Roll On
E3-Windfall
E4-Are You Sure Hank Done It That Way(Waylon Jennings Cover)
Last edited by norseman197 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

cailin

Post by cailin »

I love World Cafe Live. It's a beautiful venue with good sight lines and superior sound. It just depends on what kind of concert experience you're looking for. It's clean and nice and the crowds are usually polite to a fault. I guess it is a little like seeing a show in an office building. If you want grunge and rowdy crowds, you go someplace else. That's the beauty of the place, I think. It's an alternative to the other places and I like having that choice. I like seeing Son Volt as much at the Trocadero as I do at World Cafe Live and I hope they keep coming back to both. I think WCL is an appropriate space for most of the singer-songwriter types that XPN features.

I doubt it would kill the TLA or Electric Factory. It's a very different kind of place. I love the TLA but I hate the Electric Factory.

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

el caballo loco wrote:How is that World Cafe venue? I lived in Center City from 2000-2003 before that place was built. Has it killed TLA or The Electric Factory?
half-n-half wrote:as a former Center City resident myself,
i was wondering the same thing.
ya know, it's beautiful, clean, new, great sound, spacious, plush, nice restaurant and bar with great food upstairs (and small stage area for acoustic shows). they're booking some amazing shows too (in a two-week period, bo deans, steve wynn, son volt, weakerthans, ryan adams)

i hate it

it's like seeing a gig in an office building.

it has no soul

i prefer a place with some personality. old rock 'n' roll stickers plastered all over the walls. filthy bathrooms with brown puddles by the sink. floor so filthy with a combination of urine, vomit and spilled Pabst that your shoes stick every time you take a step.

ya know, like the khyber

but i'll be back sunday night for the weakerthans
drummer8864 wrote:Does anyone have a setlist for the Philly show??

drummer8864

Post by drummer8864 »

Does anyone have a setlist for the Philly show??

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

el caballo loco wrote:How is that World Cafe venue? I lived in Center City from 2000-2003 before that place was built. Has it killed TLA or The Electric Factory?
as a former Center City resident myself,
i was wondering the same thing.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

How is that World Cafe venue? I lived in Center City from 2000-2003 before that place was built. Has it killed TLA or The Electric Factory?

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

what a great night! the band is seriously sounding sweet and they treated Philly to a stellar performance. i hope they enjoyed the sushi. it was nice to see another show with Antelope, and it was cool to finally meet hardwood floor and arambler. hardwood, i'm really looking forward to the book. i had a blast hanging with everyone and we'll have to do it again soon. how about tonight, Antelope and arambler?

drummer8864

Post by drummer8864 »

The sound was awesome. The band sounded great as well. I don't know what that troll that wrote about the other show was talking about.
The sound was killer and Jay sounded sweet.

This was my first Son Volt show and it blew away any of the 4 Wilco show that I have ever seen, but hey I'm really slower tunes and this show had lots of them. Ballads a plenty is how I like it.