Jay Farrar to Release Woody Guthrie Album, Feat. Jim James

zach

Post by zach »

head tone harmony wrote:
Rarefied Farrar wrote:
zach wrote:On Friday Anders said we'll see the new Gob Iron maybe this fall. He confirmed that Jim James played on the record, but whether he will tour with remains to be seen.
Err, when you say this fall, you mean 2010? Cuz there's only about two weeks left of this fall...
I would guess they ride out the One Fast Move buzz through January before they drop a new record. I am still curious/confused if there is a Gob Iron and a Guthrie record or if they are one in the same.
My understanding is that the next Gob Iron record is a collection of Woody tunes done by Jay, Anders, Mark, Yim Yames, and Will Johnson. One record, not two. When Anders said Fall, I assumed he meant 2010.

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

Rarefied Farrar wrote:
zach wrote:On Friday Anders said we'll see the new Gob Iron maybe this fall. He confirmed that Jim James played on the record, but whether he will tour with remains to be seen.
Err, when you say this fall, you mean 2010? Cuz there's only about two weeks left of this fall...
I would guess they ride out the One Fast Move buzz through January before they drop a new record. I am still curious/confused if there is a Gob Iron and a Guthrie record or if they are one in the same.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

camaroheadus wrote:didn't jay already say it's not going to be a mermaid ave. album?
yes, I believe so. then there's the Gob Iron release right?,...seperate from the Mermaid project? J. James on both? silly... whatever, i can wait and watch it all unfold. i'm not much a fan of teh new MMJ but you know James
has it in spades. would be a lushess thing if he'd bend a note and throw some massive reverb in Gob Iron.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

didn't jay already say it's not going to be a mermaid ave. album?

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

whooohooo! ...uh, Jim James is on a Gob Iron release or Jim James plays
with Gob Iron doing Guthrie's tunes???? Awesome either way.

zach

Post by zach »

On Friday Anders said we'll see the new Gob Iron maybe this fall. He confirmed that Jim James played on the record, but whether he will tour with remains to be seen.

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

I just saw this. Know its been out a while, but holy crap. Will Johnson was in on this. Worlds have collided. I cant imagine a release i could be more excited for. Musical type that is.

"Alongside Jim James and Anders Parker, Johnson (Will) is also taking part in Jay Farrar’s version of Mermaid Avenue, recording original music based on unpublished Woody Guthrie lyrics at the behest of his daughter, Nora Guthrie. While no details have been confirmed as far as a release date or label, the album, which was recorded in New York in March, is currently in the mixing stage. “Jay sent me a priority mail package full of the lyrics, and I opened it at 4:30 in the afternoon,” Johnson recalls. “Within 17 minutes, I had already documented this one called ‘Chorine My Sheba Queen’ to the recording machine. That speaks far more about the song than anything I did. The lyrics struck me in a way that the music sounded automatic. It made such sense to my soul and my spirit. It’s got an empty and regretful tone but in a very beautiful way. I just latched onto it."

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

The Austin City Limits festival is also this weekend...For what it would cost me to buy a three day pass, I could have flown out to SF for Hardly Strictly....Steve Earle, DBT, Old 97's, Del Mccoury, Gillian Welch, Ralph Stanley, Okkervil River, Buddy Miller, Marty Stuart, and god knows who else, all for free..Unbelieveable!

Plus I bet they have lagunitas on tap!

Lucky Bastard!

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

countryfeedback wrote: Pea, you going to Golden Gate park this weekend?
wifetype will be dropping
me in on sat. she will be enjoying shopping
while i enjoy the aging hippies

sun I will drive myself in
looking forward to buddy miller,the old 97's on sat
dbt's on sunday

countryfeedback

peainthepod wrote:
countryfeedback wrote:
Grifterwithafunnylittleha wrote:
Mark Spencer wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:Actually this is news, at least to me. This is the first I've heard of Jim James being involved. I've also never heard that this album was in any way, shape or form part of the Mermaid Avenue series.
It's part of the Gowanus Canal series, where I recorded it.
"Heard You Can't Find Mill Creek Anywhere ...", Outside the Door, Jay Farrar from the sebastapol rekkid. A real doozy.

Ambling Bronco
Wikepedia fan?
the Mill Creek in Healdsburg, Ca
is 21 miles from Sebastapol
home to a bunch of fine grapes
Yep, right in the Dry Creek valley...Once had to get a room at the Best Western in Healdsburg after a long night of tasting with the misses...Too drunk to make the drive back to my Dad's in Concord...Best part was they had a free bottle in the room. Perfect night cap!

Pea, you going to Golden Gate park this weekend?

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

countryfeedback wrote:
Mark Spencer wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:Actually this is news, at least to me. This is the first I've heard of Jim James being involved. I've also never heard that this album was in any way, shape or form part of the Mermaid Avenue series.
"Heard You Can't Find Mill Creek Anywhere ...", Outside the Door, Jay Farrar from the sebastapol rekkid. A real doozy.

Ambling Bronco
Wikepedia fan?
the Mill Creek in Healdsburg, Ca
is 21 miles from Sebastapol
home to a bunch of fine grapes

countryfeedback

Mark Spencer wrote:

Ambling Bronco
Wikepedia fan?

countryfeedback

Mark Spencer wrote:

Ambling Bronco
Wikepedia whore

manshank

Post by manshank »

huh what?