Silly beer

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:LFan, as StillBe said, it's an Imperial Stout and I am sure you know that barleywine IS beer. :wink:
Yeah, I know that Barleywines and Imperial Stouts are technically "different" products, but a "beer" at 18% ABV has shot well past my perception of something recognizable as beer.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Cool bike jersey:

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

New Belgium brewery first impressed me with their Abbey Style Ale.
After reluctantly finishing off a sixer yesterday I felt that emptyness
you get when you wish you had another sixer in the fridge.

To the liquor store! Today found me stocking up on a Malbec and a Merlot/Malbec out of Argentina. I've found that Argentina exports some
good wine for the price.

While at the liquor store the sorrow I felt after finishing the Abbey Ale caused me to walk by the beer coolers where I found the Hoptober by New Belgium.

My first taste wasn't exceptional and comparatively, Bell's - Three Hearted and Schlafley - APA trumps. After letting Hoptober relax in the glass and come to temperature I've found a very clean and flavorful beer to add in rotation. I think it's better than Schlafley's APA in that it doesn't linger in your fillings like eating a bag of skittles. Hoptober comes in at 6.0 so it's a little lighter than most multi hop/malt cornucopias. The Cascade Hops really gives you a mouthful like most of the favorite Sierra Nevada styles
and that's a good thing!

New Belgium brings it again!

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

I just taped into a sixer of Moose Drool. After reading this thread I decided to give it a go. At first taste it is dry and malty with a molasses nose. I like it and think that it would make a good session beer though it may be deceptively light at 5.1. The label is cool too. Has an outsider art type painting. Teh moose is gazing at the drinker and spitting droplets of water while knee deep in a small lake or pond complete with lilly pads. There's a background of trees, sky and more terrain.

Talus

Post by Talus »

There were 3 or 4 nice beers from around Yellowstone-Teton. They were out of Moose Drool.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

dcarter wrote: Benjamin Franklin was spot on.
I'm with ya bro.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

LFan, as StillBe said, it's an Imperial Stout and I am sure you know that barleywine IS beer. :wink:

Dogfish Head and New Belgium are both fantastic breweries. If you ever come across anything from Highland Brewing out of Asheville, NC, get it. We've had stuff in A-ville on draught but we bought a 12 pack mix of 6 different brews. We drank half of it on the porch today. All excellent.

Benjamin Franklin was spot on.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Talus wrote:Wish I could get New Belgium stuff around here, was loving it (again) when I was out west.
See, I can can that stuff till the cows come home, but can't any of the new england shit. guess I need to get back east.
I can get dogfish-what are the laws on shipping beer? :shock:

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
MrOctober wrote:
Everybody should try this....Dogfish Head World Wide Stout.

There's more taste (and probably more than 55 calories) in one drink of this than a whole case of that 55 junk.
Probably more alcohol in that bottle than a whole case of 55 junk.
Damn, fuck that that ain't beer, that's a barley wine. Nothing wrong with
that, but not my thing.
It's not a barley wine....it's an imperial stout. And yeah, it's 18%.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Talus wrote:Wish I could get New Belgium stuff around here, was loving it (again) when I was out west.
See, I can can that stuff till the cows come home, but can't any of the new england shit. guess I need to get back east.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

MrOctober wrote:

There's more taste (and probably more than 55 calories) in one drink of this than a whole case of that 55 junk.
Damn, fuck that that ain't beer, that's a barley wine. Nothing wrong with
that, but not my thing.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Wish I could get New Belgium stuff around here, was loving it (again) when I was out west.

MrOctober

Post by MrOctober »

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

If I could get it here, I would.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »