One Fast Move is...

stretch

Post by stretch »

Can't get the disk out of the car CD machine. Someone mentioned crowbars work..see, i want to put the washington show back in....

And for the reviewers that don't read the liner notes...rank mushy brains... Robert Hunters comments were a hoot!...The Bus Came by and I got on, Cowboy Neil at the wheel.... That whole kesey crew..Cassady..mountain Girl...Garcia...all hung out with Kerouac...

Tallman

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I have to agree that "Gibbard's songs," whether written by Jay or not, are really great. "All in One" is top 2 or 3 on the record, and does anyone else agree that this one sounds *nothing* like a Farrar tune? It's hard for me to even imagine Jay singing it, let alone writing it. What a beautiful track though, and kudos to Jay for composing it. I happen to really dig "California Zephyr" too.

Also, it's hard for me to fathom not being utterly moved by Gibbard's writing on the title track. What a beautiful song all around... lyrically, vocally, instrumentally.

As for Jay's singing and writing on this project... fucking A wow. I have to say that the tune "Big Sur" didn't do a lot for me at first, but it gets sweeter with every listen -- what a warm and lyrically arresting tune. "Low Life Kingdom," as stated quite a bit on this board, is superb. And the depths of "Iodine" and "Final Horrors" rock my world every time I spin them.

My 2 cents,
Tim

Bozeman

Post by Bozeman »

smokebomb wrote:Given it several listens now. It's a beautiful album and some of Jay's finest writin' and singin'.

So, so pleasantly surprised with Gibbard's performance. I was very much expecting to love Jay's tunes and being disappointed by the rest. Dead wrong once again. Gibbard brings it and his tunes hold their own against Jay's. Not to say it's a competition, just saying it's a brilliant cohesive album.

Up next, Gob Iron redux. Good shit.
Arrrgh, "Gibbards" tunes hold up to Farrar's because they ARE Farrar's. Unless you are just talking about the actual singing, which doesn't appear to be the case. Farrar wrote all of it (lyrics by Keroauc of course) except for one. The title track (my least favorite) was written solely by Gibbard, the rest is Farrar. The only other writing credits for Gibbard were on Willamine and The Void, which he shares with Farrar. The few reviews of the album seem to confuse the singer with the songwriter, and it pisses me off.

The way I see it, this is a Farrar album, with a guest appearance and mild assist by Gibbard. Generally I agree with the singing choices on the album, but I really wish Farrar sang The Void instead.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I just noticed the tour page has a another Jay-Ben and Co. show listed for January in Ann Arbor. (old news?)

smokebomb

Post by smokebomb »

Given it several listens now. It's a beautiful album and some of Jay's finest writin' and singin'.

So, so pleasantly surprised with Gibbard's performance. I was very much expecting to love Jay's tunes and being disappointed by the rest. Dead wrong once again. Gibbard brings it and his tunes hold their own against Jay's. Not to say it's a competition, just saying it's a brilliant cohesive album.

Up next, Gob Iron redux. Good shit.

manshank

Post by manshank »

I'm thinking Ken Kesey could be up next..................

calexico

Post by calexico »

Yeah, I agree. I listened to it on the walk to work this morning and was actually bummed out that it had finished before I got in...so I had to start it again.

Badjayhawk

Post by Badjayhawk »

Third listen. Amazing. I have the distinct feeling it's gonna get better each next time.

Not a huge Ben Gibbard or DCFC fan, but his voice is perfect for this project. It all works far better than I'd imagined. Wow.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Last edited by ShuckOwens on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrouserSnakeandGary

Post by TrouserSnakeandGary »

ShuckOwens wrote:It's official now. I have not played a disc this much since Straightaways. Still floored by how good this is.

:D :D :shock: :D :D

Insightful. Thanks.

arambler

Post by arambler »

Antelope850 wrote:
ShuckOwens wrote:It's official now. I have not played a disc this much since Straightaways. Still floored by how good this is.

Yesterday, sitting on the couch, without realizing it I found myself singing "Up the Hudson Valley, across NY State" and my 4 year old son jumped in "to Chicago, then the Plains" so I guess I've been spinning it a lot too.
:D :D :D

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Yesterday, sitting on the couch, without realizing it I found myself singing "Up the Hudson Valley, across NY State" and my 4 year old son jumped in "to Chicago, then the Plains" so I guess I've been spinning it a lot too.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Last edited by ShuckOwens on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

The local Target had it placed in two sections...Under "Farrar" in the Rock/Pop section and also under New Releases...The "Farrar" shelf was completely sold out...Luckily they had two left under New Releases.

Asked the clerk and he said they have already sold 14 copies!
Shocked, absolutely shocked that a suburban Target 30 miles from downtown Houston would have sold so many copies.

Looks like I might actually have to buy my Son Volt tickets for Houston and Austin ahead of time instead of at the door.

Congrats to Jay and Ben, you guys deserve it!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

This project has to be good for both Jay and Ben. I know that I am asking to listen to my son's Death Cab albums (He showed me his Paste magazine "Death Cab, Jack Kerouac and the meaning of Life by Ben Gibbard).

This sort of thing, decendants of deceased poets seeking out living musician collaborators for their ancestor's work, seems to be reasonably successful. Woody Guthrie (with enough material to go around for years...and I think this is all unpublished material), now Jack Kerouac (what was it? the nephew of Jack's last wife that must retain the rights to his work?) who comes next? I think I heard something about some Mark Twain material surfacing recently that was previously unknown.