Post by Tupelo Son »

Papa was a rolling stone

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

sturgeongeneral wrote:.....a long slow fade
Better to burn out than it is to rust.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

In the photos of Jack in 1955 or 1957, you see this dashingly handsome young man, and all of the romance in the writing is all there. But then you see him in 1968, and he's a sad, bloated drunk. I think he was destined to be who he was regardless of his success as a writer or his cultural relevance. I think that it's important to know that living a life of excess will catch up with you at some point. You have to very careful about how you tread
ben gibbard

.....a long slow fade

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

But it's country music. I just can't get into that country guitar sound.

:wink:

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I find Big Sur to be thoughtful in alot of ways...mostly devoid of the bouncy bop of the stereotypical jazz associated with Jack...I think it would have been awkward going with a jazz soundtrack.

It s about life and death, joy and sadness, God and not...that Jay Farrar was chosen is astounding in its own right...I love what he did with the words, from sad windblown Kathleen intro to we ll be golden and eternal just like that there is no need to say another word...and Sea Engine from Sea poem...he's breathing life into the words from the book...a true powerhouse work thats pleasing on the ears, melodic and channeling Keroauc ...I can't see how anyone could have done this, let alone come with the idea of using Keroauc words...worst anyone could say is this music is too soft. I say the world can be beautiful when we drop the jaded hipster sarcastic view once in a while.

I wonder what Sam and Tiny E think of this stuff now? Would we have been better leaving the book up on the shelf with the music non existent?

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

I'm slowly warming to the movie/music mix.

It's Farrar, what are you gonna do?

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I just watched it again during work(!) today.

Its a cool flick, makes you think. And feel for Jack.

My version of "more cowbell!" is "more Farrar/Gibbard!"...I would have liked to have seen entire songs played over scenes but it never happens in a movie and would have crowded out the old timers and commentary.
I know I'm all Kool-Aid out at moment but really. 90% of the words of Keroauc were put to music by Jay. You coulda made a film using the music only....or something.

I wouldn't have used the song "Big Sur" over the credits (end),but earlier in the movie.

Any of the Gibbard sung tunes over the credits works for me.

I too don't see how you couldn't like it. Its a realistic account of Jack and "Big Sur" the book (without the kid watching Jack get it on with the kid's mother ). It interviews key people, shows pics of Jack and reads major parts of the book.
Had to squeeze it into 90 minutes.

The scenery of America from the Zephyr, San F and Big Sur just vivid and beautiful.

The bonus footage of Jay and Ben are a hoot. Jay blows notes on the piano, Gibbard says " don't sweat it, I fucken left my cell phone on and some fucker called me!" Good times.

But again, "MORE COWBELL!"

Huddybud

Post by Huddybud »

Being a big fan of JK and Jay this project has been a big treat. The only way I can see someone not liking the movie is if they don't care about JK. The documentary is right on and offers great insight into the tragic last years of JK.

Monkeygunner

sick clown town

Post by Monkeygunner »

Finished the movie last night. The cinematography was spectacular of the area. Some unseen archival footage as well. Living in the area for 16 years and visiting Nepenthe/Henry Millers Library (i.e. the drive to Big Sur) as often as I have brought back vivid memories. The narrator sounded alot like Jack and was a great find. The quotes they chose to expose from the book were well thought out; and the interviewees were engaging...

For a man and topic so often talked about and chronicled ad nauseam this offered a fresh look at old material.

Dar Williams was annoying as all hell and Patty Smith - if it weren't for the closing comments at the end credits - was tough on the eyes (she just has to plug her hubby didn't she).

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

I watched the movie last night and thought it was excellent. I'm not a student of Kerouac either, but the movie definitely piqued my interest. Did an internet search of my local library's catalog and found they don't even carry "Big Sur". Thought that kind of odd. Amazon time. The short extras of Jay and Ben in the studio were pretty entertaining. Nice to see Jay smiling and laughing from the gut. The music speaks for itself. Great project for Jay to be involved in.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

el caballo loco wrote:Having no real background or understanding about Kerouac, I brought zero critical thinking skills to the table while watching the flick. I'm typically "that guy" who feels compelled to poke holes in the documentary about the subject or person I have a deep knowledge and passion for. It was refreshing to know nothing about any of it and feel a sense of intrigue. This guy lived in the proverbial ditch. I'm fascinated by him and his work. Had it not been for Jay taking on this project, my Kerouac experience would either have been pushed further back, or eluded me altogether.
+1

Voltage75

Post by Voltage75 »

i thought the jay tracks were great, jay fits right in singing that style, as for ben it's going to take alittle while to get use to him in that role, not a big death cab fan but i like some of their songs. :)

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

keith21 wrote:That's good then. I can see being brand new to Kerouac and being intrigued by the movie. And hey, it wasn't all bad. Overall I enjoyed the journey of going through the book that way. There were just too many cringe-worthy moments for me to walk away totally fulfilled.
Having no real background or understanding about Kerouac, I brought zero critical thinking skills to the table while watching the flick. I'm typically "that guy" who feels compelled to poke holes in the documentary about the subject or person I have a deep knowledge and passion for. It was refreshing to know nothing about any of it and feel a sense of intrigue. This guy lived in the proverbial ditch. I'm fascinated by him and his work. Had it not been for Jay taking on this project, my Kerouac experience would either have been pushed further back, or eluded me altogether.

stablew

Post by stablew »

You're making me feel good about not buying the version with the movie. The album is amazing, though, even Ben Gibbard tracks.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

That's good then. I can see being brand new to Kerouac and being intrigued by the movie. And hey, it wasn't all bad. Overall I enjoyed the journey of going through the book that way. There were just too many cringe-worthy moments for me to walk away totally fulfilled.