The Search Revisited

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

Phosphate Skin is an amazing song. My favorite on the record. One of his most uplifting songs that strikes that chord.
The best is within not with whom or where you been.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

I'm gonna turn a blind eye to your bacon soul and go back to my monkey trial bleeding.

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote:I will ask Transmit Sound to change my login to Bacon Soul.
If you do that, you'll have to change your name to Bacon Soul. Larry as we know it will cease to be and Bacon Soul will be your new name.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

I will ask Transmit Sound to change my login to Bacon Soul.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Who the hell is Dow Jones anyway?

The S&P dropped over 50% form 2007 to 2009

No money down just a life that you don't own

Foreclosures out the ass in a historic way

So many themes that ring true...Meth, Underground, Beacon, on and on...so many great songs, how can you not like or love most of The Search?

Music fans always look for the new great tunes...Every Jay release has tunes that we are better for hearing...

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Like 97% of the people here, I love all Jay Farrar projects. The Search/On Chant & Strum is no exception. To my ears, this is where Jay strays furthest from the sound he cultivated on Trace and Straightaways. I think once you get past the initial surprise of how different this sounds than previous Son Volt albums, you can begin to really appreciate this excellent album. Granted, it is not as immediate as his previous albums are, and there are more sonic layers to absorb. Jay has expanded his piano repertoire, adding some organ to the mix as well. For the first time on a Son Volt album, we hear horns. (I read an article with Jay saying he had been listening to a lot of Sticky Fingers/Exile-era Stones right before writing and recording The Search inspiring him to bring some horns into the mix.) Other non-traditional instruments that show up include an electric bouzouki (an electric version of a Greek mandolin), an electric sitar, and reverse guitar loops. There are plenty of great themes on this album - destruction of the environment (“The Search”), critiques of The Bush Administration (Underground Dream”), corporate greed (“Beacon Soul”), the ubiquitous media (“The Search”), feeling disconnected in modern society (“Circadian Rhythm,” “Satellite,” & “Automatic Society”), and addiction (“Methamphetamine”). It took several listens for this to really resonate with me. For reasons beyond my comprehension, I was drawn back to this album, despite not immediately liking it. Two plus years later, I can say this is one I can still regularly listen to. I think songs like Methamphetamine, Bicycle Hotel, Circadian Rhythm, Underground Dream, The Search, and Adrenaline and Heresy rank up with some of the best songs Jay has ever penned.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

turpentim wrote:Anyone mind filling me in on what Springsteen had to say about 'The Search'?

Thanks,
Tim
I don't know what he said about The Search, but when Springsteen dj'd on his Sirius radio channel, he played Underground Dream. (And Feed Kill Chain)

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Anyone mind filling me in on what Springsteen had to say about 'The Search'?

Thanks,
Tim

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

I've only recently heard of Monsanto also and the mega-corporation's influence and growing monopoly of seed genetics is pretty disheartening. Not surprising that Jay is aware of them since their headquarters are based out of St. Louis.

Probably doesn't help that i recently read Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl and the author just pointed out that Monsanto was one of the big inspirations for the "Calorie Companies" depicted in the book, controlling the world's seed/food resources.

Nevermind that Monsanto also has ownership of the "Terminator" gene that sterilizes second-generation seeds. Yeah, they've pledged never to use it or make it commercially available. Yeah...RIGHT.

Tokyo Fan

Re: The Search Revisited

Post by Tokyo Fan »

"And man, perusing the lyrics right now, I just realized that he mentions the horrific company Monsanto (who were profiled in Food, Inc., "

Thanks for pointing that out. That went right by me. I just watched Food, Inc. myself a week or so ago and it left me cold. If you're interested in even more information on the state of our food, there is another documentary out called the Future of our Food (or something like that) that you can watch for free on Hulu. Monsanto going after farmers that have had genetically modified seeds blow over into their fields. The seeds are protected by patent! Neighboring farmers "reporting" on their neighbors, etc. Quite frightening.

Rarefied Farrar

And before you yell at me, hardwood, NO, I am not suggesting that you are a new fan.

Rarefied Farrar

Ouch!

"The dude" happens to be the author of this thread. This aggression will not stand, man.

In regards to The Search and it's relative awesomeness, I will simply opine what has been stated ad nauseum on this site, which is that all Jay material is just different brands of awesomeness.

However, as an old school fan, I cannot neglect the first incarnation of the group, and those first three records will always hold a special place in my heart.

Nevertheless, welcome to all new fans of the band, and if The Search is your favorite, then I mean you no disrespect. It is pretty freakin' awesome!

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

if the dude had paid attention the first time he would have realized The Search is the best son volt record ever

always has been my favorite and remains so

tremendous record