Album of the Decade is.....

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

there's a lot of great stuff on the Black cab sessions. I'm partial to Ryan Adams, MMJ and Calexico.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

erikdi wrote:The National - Boxer
My fave

cind

Post by cind »

Gob Iron
If not for that, Sebastopol.
Then Tell it to the Dust or Songs in a Northern Key.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

8)

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I'd give it to Sea Change.

Overall, Beck is inquisitive, experimental, musical and lyrical...with humor...

thats what we ask of great artists as we lead more mundane and structured lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als_-cTQ ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

and this one with Randy from my name is Earl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWe6bMVvTzk&NR=1

One dude's vote...but like Jay, all his albums carry brilliance.

Sea Change is the mellow, traditional offering.

Generally Beck has grooved with the best of em on the rest of his studio albums. A digital pioneer in contrast to our stalwart analog sideburned muse

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

BARSTOW, begun in 1941, is a setting of eight hitchhiker inscriptions copied from a highway railing on the outskirts of Barstow, California. This work shows Partch's style with language, as well as his approach to harmony and structure. Each inscription is stated, then humorously expanded, sometimes sung, other times intoned. Tonality is strong but ever-shifting. The over-all harmonic effect is quite smooth, as it would be in just intonation, with tones resolving to others by a subtle few vibrations as well as larger leaps. A masterpiece of Americana in song, it is more than that; it is musical dramatic narrative. Partch calls it his Hobo Concerto. As the word hobo itself is an American word, so is the music of Harry Partch an American music--probably the first truly American music since the American Indian

"The work that I have been doing these many years parallels much in the attitudes and actions of primitive man. He found sound-magic in the common materials around him. He then proceeded to make the vehicle, the instrument, as visually beautiful as he could. Finally, he involved the sound-magic and the visual beauty in his everyday words and experiences, his ritual and drama, in order to lend greater meaning to his life. This is my trinity: sound-magic, visual beauty, experience-ritual."

unchartedthickets

school's in session.

first lecturer: megaball's
1. quick biography

second lecturer: unchartedthickets
2. drunken speech bout somtin

well a 43 tone system is interesting. not sure why it's 43 but it may have to do with the natural materials Partch was using to construct his rudamentary
instrument rule. his measurement may have been by ear and he intentially used natural and primitive materials that gave off bell like sounds that were multi harmonic.

He did a piece called Barstow which is based on his stint as a hobo. He used graffitti as a starting point for this. Talk about realism and the graffitti style of the 80's art scene in NY. This dude was waaaaaay beyond the times. He's channeling the John Steinbeck vibe but living it.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

"We're 5 months into the Record Club project now, and it's time for our third installment.

This one took place last June (2009) when Wilco was in town for the release of their new eponymous album. They came by after a long day filming a TV appearance and still managed to put down 8 songs with us. Jamie Lidell was in the studio with me working on his new record. Leslie Feist happened to be in town editing her documentary and heard we were all getting together. Recording took place at Sunset Sound Studios in the room where the Stones did a lot of Exile On Main Street (and looking at the records on the walls it appeared that the Doobie Brothers recorded most of their output there too). Sitting in on drums, we had James Gadson, who's played on most of the Bill Withers records and on songs like 'Express Yourself' and 'I Will Survive.' Jeff Tweedy's son Spencer played played additional drums. Also, Brian Lebarton, from the last two Record Club sessions is back.

The record chosen this time was Skip Spence's 'Oar.' Running sequentially, the first song up is "Little Hands". Our friend Danny Kalb engineered.

Tweedy followers click here
http://www.beck.com/sections/2?page=1

For those of you who are wondering what the deal is with this Record Club thing, please read on below.

-Beck

Record Club is an informal meeting of various musicians to record an album in a day. The album chosen to be reinterpreted is used as a framework. Nothing is rehearsed or arranged ahead of time. A track is put up here once a week. As you will hear, some of the songs are rough renditions, often first takes that document what happened over the course of a day as opposed to a polished rendering. There is no intention to 'add to' the original work or attempt to recreate the power of the original recording. Only to play music and document what happens. And those who aren't familiar with the albums in question will hopefully look for the songs in their definitive versions."

And are we discussing this dude/ I'm going to school

"Harry Partch (1901-1974), one of the greatest and most individualistic composers of all time, was not only a great composer, but an innovative theorist who broke through the shackles of many centuries of one tuning system for all of Western music, a music instrument inventor who created dozens of incredible instruments for the performance of his music, and a musical dramatist who created his own texts and dance/theatre extravaganzas based on everything from Greek mythology to his own experiences as a hobo. Between 1930 and 1972, he created one of the most amazing bodies of sensually alluring and emotionally powerful music of the 20th century: music dramas, dance theater, multi-media extravaganzas, vocal music and chamber music---mostly all performed on the instruments he built himself.

With parents who were former missionaries to China, living in isolated areas of the American southwest, Partch, as a child, was exposed to a variety of influences from Asian to Native American. After dropping out of the University of Southern California, he began to study on his own and to question the tuning and philosophical foundations of Western music. During and after the Great Depression, he was a hobo and itinerant worker and rode the trains, keeping a musical notebook of his experiences, which he later set to music.

In 1930 Partch broke with Western European tradition and forged a new music based on a more primal, corporeal integration of the elements of speech with music, using principles of natural acoustic resonance (just intonation) and expanded melodic and harmonic possibilities. He began to first adapt guitars and violas to play his music, and then began to build new instruments in a new microtonal tuning system. He built over 25 instruments, plus numerous small hand instruments, and became a brilliant spokesman for his ideas. Largely ignored by the standard musical institutions during his lifetime, he criticized concert traditions, the roles of the performer and composer, the role of music in society, the 12-tone equal-temperament scale and the concept of "pure" or abstract music. To explain his philosophical and intonational ideas, he wrote a treatise, Genesis of a Music, which has served as a primary source of information and inspiration to many musicians for the last half century. "

cool

unchartedthickets

megaballs1 wrote:All four of Beck's studio albums this decade were brilliant works of art.

He deserves a mention. He's a giant in music if you ask me, genres aside.

And check this out

"Most recently, Beck has come up with a novel way to combat burnout. On his website, he introduced a new feature called Record Club. Every so often, he gets together with a crew of like-minded friends and records a cover of an entire album in one day, with no practice sessions or arrangements beforehand. He'll then release the albums on his website, one song at a time"

from

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... view-beck/

Talk about 6 degrees of separation in "record club photos"
Tweedy and son

http://www.beck.com/&
That is really cool. Scroll down a little and check out the Partch remakes.
Go back to school if you don't know Partch. How's about a Barstow mash-up?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

agreed. Sea Change would definitely be in my top 10 of the decade, if I had one, which I don't.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

All four of Beck's studio albums this decade were brilliant works of art.

He deserves a mention. He's a giant in music if you ask me, genres aside.

And check this out

"Most recently, Beck has come up with a novel way to combat burnout. On his website, he introduced a new feature called Record Club. Every so often, he gets together with a crew of like-minded friends and records a cover of an entire album in one day, with no practice sessions or arrangements beforehand. He'll then release the albums on his website, one song at a time"

from

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... view-beck/

Talk about 6 degrees of separation in "record club photos"
Tweedy and son

http://www.beck.com/&

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Terroir Blues is my favorite record with Jay Farrar this decade

calexico

Post by calexico »

Plus the fact that Mary Gauthier has had other albums way better than Mercy Now. Filth And Fire for example.

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

second sun wrote:11. Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses
oh good lord

patty has a nice voice and all but ... are you fucking kidding me?

this is mediocre girly singer-songwriter pablum

has anybody out there ever heard Jay's music?