Wilco's boring new record

Hank Snow

Good Point

Post by Hank Snow »

good point about record charts or sales not having anything to do with the quality of the music on the album. Same with awards shows, just cause something wins a freaking grammy doesn't mean it's any good. In fact I found that ALMOST always, it is the opposite. There are exceptions, like Radiohead who are brilliant and sell big, but it is a rarity. I think fucking Hoobastank was right above or right below the Wilco album on the charts, so that should tell you how much that means for music integrity.

I do think however that Hillary Duff is a great asset to the whole alt-country music scene.

I wholeheartedly agree with several people who have mentioned we need to MOVE ON to new topics. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow we will get some good reviews of Jay at the Gram Tribute, and in a few weeks some more of the SE tour. I want some new Jay material or at least some great shows off of STG I haven't heard.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I AM:

No need to knock Farrar either.

Most people here like A Ghost Is Born - even love it. A few have stated they don't like it or are just warming up to it. No need to turn that into another tired rant comparing Farrar to Tweedy. The vast majority of us here think both these guys are putting out music as good or better than anybody else. Enough of the competition angle. It's been ten years since they went separate ways.

But I'm amused when someone points out Wilco's #8 spot on Billboard as proof of something or another. Does that make Britney Spears and Hillary Duff better artists than Tweedy because their albums go to number 1 and go multiplatinum? Does March 16-20, 1992 suck because it didn't sell very well? I'm happy for Tweedy and Wilco and happy to see some good music in the top ten for a change, but if you're gonna use Wilco's recent sales to bust on Farrar's talent, give me a break.

NoDepression

Re: Better-n-Better

Post by NoDepression »

Hank Snow wrote:I just continue to listen to it and like it more and more. I think it is a great album. The only song I don't like much is I'm a Wheel, and I haven't really listened to the 12 minute noise thing, but the other 10 songs are great.

I honestly think it speaks to Jeff Tweedy's talent and creativity as a song writer and musician and band leader. It is great stuff. I think the sales are amazing, considering there is no MTV or Radio help.

Good Stuff!!!!
I'm with you all the way . God , can we just move on with this . It is Jay's forum after all .

I Am Who Am

Lay of Jeff

Post by I Am Who Am »

Seems like a lot of people around here are annoyed by Tweedy's success, so they are trashing his masterpiece. The album came in Number 8 on the Billboard chart which means it has Popular as well as its normal niche appeal. For a band with alt-country roots a number 8 position on Billboard is unprecedented. Tweedy's face is everywhere, I found his mug on three magazine covers at Borders yesterday, and he's the cover story on Rollingstone.com today. Give the man his due. After all, to paraphrase: this may be all he'll ever have. So what if Jay Farrar doesn't have the talent and ambition Tweedy has? No need to knock Tweedy.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

It doesn't surpise me some people don't like the record. I was secretly hoping it be a return to a twang and felt is a little to classic rock at first listen. I put it away for a few weeks and the second time around it sounded different and some of the things I missed the first time became clearer. Its a great record, not Wilcos' best but very good.

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

The more I listen to it the more I like it. It's more of "at home" listen than a rock out "in your car" album. There are some areas of greatness in many of the songs. I felt the same way about YHF. It takes time.

Hank Snow

More input

Post by Hank Snow »

I can see how it might seem "pretentious", and many thought YHF seemed that way. But I don't think that is the way it was intended, I get the impression it's because these guys are brilliant and don't do things like other bands, so it sounds drastically different than anyone else.

I have found, much like with Terroir Blues, that I like all of the live interpretations of the songs a lot better. The album seems really minimal, but live it just opens up. I really like it.

Did I mention I really like it?

Hank Snow

Better-n-Better

Post by Hank Snow »

I just continue to listen to it and like it more and more. I think it is a great album. The only song I don't like much is I'm a Wheel, and I haven't really listened to the 12 minute noise thing, but the other 10 songs are great.

I honestly think it speaks to Jeff Tweedy's talent and creativity as a song writer and musician and band leader. It is great stuff. I think the sales are amazing, considering there is no MTV or Radio help.

Good Stuff!!!!

smoke

Post by smoke »

I wanted to like it more, but it is getting overshadowed lately by Jesse Malin, Bobby Bare Jr, and Nicolai Dunger. I haven't pulled the disc out since the first couple of days after it was released. I can't even stand to listen to it for some reason. It is too cold and pretentious. Maybe it will grow on me, but now it just sounds dead, and a shade disingenuous. I haven't given up on Wilco, but I think there were better releases in June that moved to the top of the listening queue.

Route

Post by Route »

I hate it all except for Hummingbird. For the life of me, don't see how in the hell it is selling like it is. It's a bunch of crap really.

princess buttercup

AGIB

Post by princess buttercup »

i'm still not really liking it and probably never will like it as a whole, but there are some songs that are okay. i really hate what they did to Spiders. Hummingbird is okay. Handshake Drugs is a good song. Theologians sounds like something Stirratt would write, and I don't mean that in a good way. Can't stand Wishful Thinking. Not too fond of Company in my Back either. I always liked I'm A Wheel and they stayed pretty true to the original sound on that one. Less Than You Think is a Good song, but is ruined by all that crap. The Late Greats is a classic circa 1997 Tweedy.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

I find the noise after Less Than You Think relaxing. Reminds of the quiet times I spend on my porch in the summer at 3am, all breeze and crickets.

NoDepression

Post by NoDepression »

It just sucks you in , amen , amen . Spence

carlos

Post by carlos »

I'm really loving the new record. Company in My Back is indeed a great track. At Least Thats What You Said is a really excellent first track that really sucks you in to whats in store. I actually kind of dig Less Than You Think. I'm not saying I'll listen to the drone every listen but so far I have about 3/4 of the time. I like the wistfulness in Wishful Thinking too. I like the guitar freakouts, the soft piano, and the up and down vibe of the whole album. It's got touches that take you several different places. I drive alot for my job and have found it to be a great driving record. I've read that alot of people have found that it takes them 2 or 3 listens before they like it but I was there on the first listen. I also agree it sounds really good live. Well there's my 2 pennies.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I think it is a great record, right up there with all of Wilco's others.

Company on My Back is really growing on me, fantastic song. Late Greats as well. Handshake Drugs is very hypnotizing, awesome song. At Least That's What You Said is my favorite and sounds even better live. I have a version from a gig in '03 and it is just fantastic, like 9 minutes long. Hell is Chrome is a good one too.

Great album, 9 out of 10. I am amazed by the Rhythm section throughout, the great use of the piano, and Jeff's guitar work is fantastic.

It seems like O'Rourke's reputation is for noisy loud stuff, but this album is soft and beautiful.