RED RED MEAT

cowboydown

Re: Red Red Meat Ruled! (Deux)

Post by cowboydown »

cowboydown wrote:Huge fan of RRM. Now Califone. Just saw them last night play with new instruments as the van got broken into in SF thursday (6/24/04).
How come musicians ALWAYS get their gear ripped off?

How low do you have to be?

Do they keep it - and obsess over it - or sell it? and who buy's it? I'm thinking every band that has traveled regularly has gotten their gear stolen at least once. Sucks is all... I wanna know - all you thieves out there - what's the MO ....

(yeah, reply to my own quote - sampling a new syrah)

dphillips

Post by dphillips »

You're a rotten person!

LH

Post by LH »

Just kidding Derek. Friends in California remains one of my favorite tunes. Listened to it over and over when I moved out here.

LH

LH

Post by LH »

Anyone ever hear of the Chicago band Riviera - awful stuff. :D

Larry

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Califone...

Phenomenal albums.
Phenomenal performance (i've only caught them once so far).

Mutant cerebral blues.

barclocksays3am

Re: RED RED MEAT

Post by barclocksays3am »

Barnum wrote:Red Red Meat was/is one my favorite bands.

Wondering if anyone has any comments...either on them or on Califone...

Would they fit under the genre of alt.country?

Love `em! :D Jimmy Wine Majestic is their best.Bunny Gets Paid was good despite some folks don`t seem to like it.
Members of Califone are going to guest on Freakwater`s new album(out on Sept 13th)

cowboydown

Re: RED RED MEAT

Post by cowboydown »

Barnum wrote:Red Red Meat was/is one my favorite bands.

Missed this the first time around. Califone alt-country. No.

Unclassifiable. Maybe.

The one tag that stuck to RED RED MEAT was cough-syrup blues. And you'll find some critics using that tag still with CALIFONE (just because Tim Rutili uses the bottle neck soooo beautifully).

There music is a beautiful thing. They are singularily unique and experimental without loosing melodic composition. Rutili has been right up there with Jay as one my top 5 singer/songwriters I breath off of.

cowboydown

Red Red Meat Ruled!

Post by cowboydown »

Huge fan of RRM. Now Califone. Just saw them last night play with new instruments as the van got broken into in SF thursday (6/24/04).

Here's a good review clipped from their message board:

"Califone took the stage with 'Horoscopic. Amputation. Honey', which just kept getting louder and faster until Tim finally broke the spell and brought it all back down for awhile.

They played more energetically and louder than I've ever seen them before, at times more reminiscent of Red Red Meat than Califone (I was just praying for them to play 'Gorshin', but it didn't happen... it would have fit perfectly into the set though).

3 songs before the end of the set, Tim got into an argument with his guitar, and exiled it to the back corner of the stage. A quick huddle with the band brought forth a version of 'Electric Fence' like none I've heard before: LOUD, hard, at times almost wall-of-sound. This wasn't anything like the lethargic I-drank-too-much-cough-syrup versions they've published.

Highlights from the show:

Ben getting so into the music he didn't notice his drumsticks were shattering, sending shreds of wood out into the audience.

The whole band watching each other, not looking at their instruments, syncing to each other... they were tight tonight, clearly in the groove.

Rebecca Gates and Amy (cellist) joined them for Fisherman's Wife and Michigan Girls.

The sound of the evening alternating between twangy opiate folk and high-energy assault.

The two sides of the stage seemed to have discreet personalities... the left side provided the solid underpinnings of most of the songs, while Ben and Tim seemed to be at the top of their game with respect to knowing which notes to leave out... some of the night was just totally deconstructed, slow, like the end of the recorded version of Electric Fence.

All in all, a damn good show."

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

JimmyWine Majestic definitely one of my favorite records ever. They were a great live band (as are Califone now) - they always just played skeletons of their songs, experimenting live to try and turn those skeletons into something more amazing. They were either amazing or horrible live...it was like going to watch a band practice. Something amazing just might happen.

They did a great cover of "Southern Accents" on the Tom Petty tribute record. Under the name Dexter Motomorphus or something.

dphillips

Post by dphillips »

Big fan of califone. They play Chicago quite often (though not lately, actually) and I try to catch them whenever I can. favorite Califone album is still Roomsound. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Barnum

RED RED MEAT

Post by Barnum »

Red Red Meat was/is one my favorite bands.