Progressive Rock

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I really like King Crimson - Red along with Starless and Bible Black. Almost bought the remastered 5.1 version of Red recently. Still might. I think there was a Fripp trilogy in there. Fripp's Exposure, Daryl Hall's Sacred songs and Peter Gabriel 2 were concidered a trilogy (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_( ... ipp_album) ) Same personel pretty much on all three albums.

Check youtube for some old Genesis footage with all of Peter Gabriel's costumes.

I liked Yes, a little bit of ELP, Jethro Tull (never thought of that progressive but what do i know) liked StandUP, Benefit and Aqualung specifically.

Pink Floyd is real good too.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Eloy would be more in the vein of Floyd, Yes and maybe even a little Germanic Hawkwind.

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

i saw keith emerson & greg lake last night in NY, for what it's worth

pretty cool night

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

It's not like those progressive dinner parties is it? You know like someone lays down a guitar track, and then they go to a new studio and lay down some drums, and then it's like they go somewhere else and add in some fat horns.

Or is it rocking out with Flo from the
Progressive commercials? 'Cause I'm down with that.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

Brain Salad Surgery is prob next on the list. Never heard it, but heard good things bout it.
Anybody heard the band Eloy? What Ive heard sounds exactly like what Im looking for.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Try also Tangerine Dream-I'll second Fripp-Eno or just Eno solo. David Byrne and Eno also have a collaboration that is way cool. I'm guessing you are already into Midlake.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Oh man, if it's the Krautrock route you want to go then yes do it! I love all that stuff!

Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Cluster, Faust. I love all that motorik cosmiche music.

stretch

Post by stretch »

i'm home for the afternoon. Wife had some minor surgery- all's well, just gotta hang out. So, to get out of my lurking mode!!

Back in the 70's I use to listen to this FM station called 'Triad'- this was early 70's when WXRT would come on at 11pm after the Spanish radio guys were done( Mitch Michaels- loose jams, great stuff). Triad use to do alot of European prog rock- The latest sounds from Italy, Budapest, Germany-all in the native language Bands like Can, Tangerine dream, early kraftwerk- I was into that stuff, as well as the blues and the Dead and Santana. Rick wakeman put together some good albums- Gentle Giant..i don't know, off the top of my head, which is mighty thin, there's a bunch of that type of stuff. ELO....anything w/ Fripp or Brian Eno... Have fun diving in!

tallman

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

took the liberty of ordering this for you.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

calexico wrote:Try out some King Crimson. Albums like Red, In The Court Of The Crimson King and Starless & Bible Black. Some newer stuff like Dream Theatre and the wonderful and awesome Porcupine Tree. The Mars Volta as well.

The Soft Machine Third album. Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator. Lateralus by Tool.

Like any genre there's a lot of twaddle but a lot of good stuff there too.
I have Court of The Crimson King, good stuff. Been wanting to try some Porcupine Tree, and I keep seeing the band Van Der Graaf Generator listed in all the best of lists. Dream Theatre is a band I want to check out too, but Im not that into the Queensryche sounding stuff that Ive heard from them.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Try out some King Crimson. Albums like Red, In The Court Of The Crimson King and Starless & Bible Black. Some newer stuff like Dream Theatre and the wonderful and awesome Porcupine Tree. The Mars Volta as well.

The Soft Machine Third album. Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator. Lateralus by Tool.

Like any genre there's a lot of twaddle but a lot of good stuff there too.

Texas Tom

Progressive Rock

Post by Texas Tom »

I have the desire to dive deep...any suggestions?
I love old Genesis, and Pink Floyd. Not too sure about Yes. Dont really know what album is the most tripped out by them. I want to get Ocean by a band called Eloy. They sound cool.