Favorite UT cd

cold war trash

Post by cold war trash »

gblues wrote:Still Feel Gone, will always rock my lame ass
I couldn't have put it better.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

No Depression, hands down. I bought that CD when it came out and I still have it to this day.

-gk-

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

persuaded, paraded, innebriated, in doubt- Still aware of everything, life goes on without

No Depression- hands down. They are all good but I connect the most with ND...
not forever, but just for now

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

Tough call I'd have to go with March 16-20 even though it has a buttload of covers Black Eye and Grindstone are my two favorite UT songs, this week.

woodtype

No Depression

Post by woodtype »

No Depression--that album kicks ass.
Anodyne and SFG battle for second.
March 16-20 coming in behind

they all do rule, however . it's where it all began for me.

gblues

Post by gblues »

Still Feel Gone, will always rock my lame ass, I have had to purchase that one a few times. They are all GREAT but that album is a combination of everything I like most.

m.truslow

Post by m.truslow »

Guys for my opinion (fwiw) March 16-20 is a stone cold CLASSIC!!! Great cover songs, great Jay/Jeff songs (Wait Up is one of my all time favorites and easily Tweedy's best work ever). Jay's vocal work is the finest on that Cd. Peter Buck produced it which puts him on two of Rock 'n' Rolll's all time great CDS.........March & Murmur. Mark T.

Voltage75

Post by Voltage75 »

For me it has to be march 16-20 i love that record. favorite tracks has to be fatal wound and atomic power..but i could pick others.it's just too many to choose from that album.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Oops the poll is gone. Maybe there is a time limit i placed on it.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Funny, cause unlike most on this board I've always listened to Anodyne the least. I just can't get in to a few of those tunes: Chickamauga just doesn't do it for me, and New Madrid and We've Been Had and No Sense in Lovin' simply aren't very good in my opinion, almost boring. The Long Cut is probably my least favorite UT song (don't like the song and the driving conceit -- long cut instead of short cut -- is way too sophomoric). That being said, Slate and Acuff-Rose are great, Fifteen Keys is sublime, and Steal the Crumbs is one of the best UT songs.
Someone on the board has mentioned a few times that "Graveyard Shift" is one of the greatest opening tunes to any album. I agree, but "Grindstone" on March has to come a very close second, though of course for totally different reasons.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Actually, I think Gun from (SFG) is one of JT's stronger UT tracks. But then again I used to be a tweedy skipper too.

mikewilliamson

Post by mikewilliamson »

ANODYNE's my fav, followed VERY CLOSELY by NO DEPRESSION. Then MARCH.

STILL FEEL GONE is far and away my least favorite. More Tweedy tracks, at a time when he still couldn't write for shit. Jay has a few greats (STILL BE AROUND, PUNCH DRUNK), but it still seems like treading similar water as NO DEPRESSION, but a little less inspired.

Mike

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I'm not sure who said it in another thread but my favorite cd changes over time. Anodyne was the first one I bought but March 16-20 was the first I ever heard. (I went to buy March 16-20 and Anodyne had come out recently and that is all they had) But saying all that Anodyne was my favorite up til a few months ago and After listening to SFG alot lately I like that one currently better. It is all good stuff! B4 Anondyne March 16-20 was my fav before Anodyne.

B-bender

Post by B-bender »

No Depresion for me boys.
my introduction to the band, and still the one I go back to most often (tho I've just re-discovered "still feel gone")

cowboydown

a medicine that relieves pain

Post by cowboydown »

I'll bet most of the 66% that so far have voted for Anodyne - that this was their first UT record. If you'd of bought the first two when they came out - you wouldn't vote for Anodyne (great name for a record second only to STILL FEEL GONE). Besides it was the major label debut and everyone hates that.

ANODYNE is a great album but better than NO DEP or STILL FEEL GONE? No dice.