Mark Spencer

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

Dcarter, you're all excited b/c you think you've uncovered some contradiction and you're all proud of yourself, huh?

Well, try again.

I do indeed think that Farrar, the Boquists, and Heidorn are the real Son Volt. The only Son Volt. Those 4 guys created the name, the band, the sound, the songs - not just Farrar. Any other incarnations featuring Farrar and 3 other guys, however good or great, is not "Son Volt" any more than a Jay Farrar solo record is "Son Volt".

I happen to dig Farrar's solo albums. I also dig American Central Dust. However, calling either one "Son Volt" is false advertising. The first 3 SV albums are the best thing Farrar was ever involved with - even better than UT imo. And calling ACD a "Son Volt" album is simply trying to capitlize on the cache of the name that was built by the original 4 guys. Those first 3 SV albums were a full team effort. Any album credited to "Son Volt" in which the Boquists and Heidorn don't appear on is not a Son Volt album. Farrar alone does not make it Son Volt.

Understand?

calexico

Post by calexico »

dcarter wrote:but I do enjoy pointing out contradictions.
This is what makes Doug our very own Fun Bobby.

dbengr69

Post by dbengr69 »

dc gives good tronz.....nice work

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

dcarter wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:
Rick V wrote:dcarter - What's the interesting part about that list?
How about, Jay has not really recorded with Heidorn and the Boquists since 1998, yet you were curious less than a year ago who was in Son Volt. For someone who seems to know very little about Son Volt, it seems unlikely that you are buddies with a lot of former band members. I am starting to see why Spencer gives some people here a hard time.
Is everyone blind? :lol: In this thread Rick V said that Farrar, Heidorn and the Boquists are the real Son Volt but he had American Central Dust on his 'Best of 2009' list. I found that interesting. If the Farrar, Bryson, Duplantis, Masterson and Spencer SV made one of the 10 best albums of 2009 that either means that Rick V felt that virtually every other album released in 2009 was total shit or that, contrary to his 'real Son Volt' statement, he actually thinks that the ACD Volt is pretty damned good. I really couldn't give 2 hoots in hell about Rick v. Spencer (pun intended!) but I do enjoy pointing out contradictions.
c'mon, donny, won't you stick up for me?

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

Somebody hit someone with a brick, now!!!

We should all cherish this moment, another thread in the wall.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

gdavis5446 wrote:
How about, Jay has not really recorded with Heidorn and the Boquists since 1998, yet you were curious less than a year ago who was in Son Volt. For someone who seems to know very little about Son Volt, it seems unlikely that you are buddies with a lot of former band members. I am starting to see why Spencer gives some people here a hard time.
Is everyone blind? :lol: In this thread Rick V said that Farrar, Heidorn and the Boquists are the real Son Volt but he had American Central Dust on his 'Best of 2009' list. I found that interesting. If the Farrar, Bryson, Duplantis, Masterson and Spencer SV made one of the 10 best albums of 2009 that either means that Rick V felt that virtually every other album released in 2009 was total shit or that, contrary to his 'real Son Volt' statement, he actually thinks that the ACD Volt is pretty damned good. I really couldn't give 2 hoots in hell about Rick v. Spencer (pun intended!) but I do enjoy pointing out contradictions.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Hey Mark

That kickass Masters of War Dylan dirge version of Candyman at the Dead deal in NYC a couple of years back that was You and Jay only...who's idea was it to use that "traditional " tune for Candyman? Gotta be Jay. Any story behind it?

It was perfect for your lead play, like that White Freightliner...some of us have that recording .

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

gdavis5446 wrote:
I dunno, I thought ol' Richard Vagina was giving ME a hard time, but of course that's what it takes to get a response, though we have been pretty good at not falling for it for some time. My only regret is that I WASTED a great line from K.O.C. on him, Jonno wouldn't approve.

Anyway, his crisp new five dollar bill and regulation Son Volt:The Original Series T shirt is in the mail, we have another winner!

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

You can't be serious?

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Rick V wrote:
Mark Spencer wrote:
Rick V wrote:I enjoy Spencer's guitar playing a great deal BUT based on all that he's written on this message board it's safe to say he's a total fucking douchebag. Its really too bad. But he and Farrar deserve each other. Two ogres. Farrar showed what he's like when he couldn't get along with the guys in (the real) Son Volt - the Boquist bros and Heidorn - those three guys are as nice as you'll ever find. Anywhere.
Do you really need the $5.00 and free T-shirt that gets mailed out to each bored member I respond to THAT badly? You could at least come up with some new insults or here-say, the postage is pretty expensive, guy. Kudos, though, for figuring both myself AND Jay out, pret-ty slick, my man. No, really dude, that's cool, you made a mistake, so did Hitler.
Well, I "figured" you out from the many words you yourself have typed on this message board.
As for Jay, I've spoken at length to a couple of his former band members. Got the scoop from them. And Jay's ultra-friendly concert persona didn't throw me off the trail.

"bored member", "you made a mistake, so did Hitler" - um yeah nice try Mark. Stick to the guitar playing, my man.
"bored member"....that wasn't a mistake, Adolph.

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

dcarter - What's the interesting part about that list?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Hey y'all. I found the following post from the 'Best Albums of 2009' thread interesting. On an unrelated note, I am embarrassed to ask, but does anyone know if Mike Heidorn and the Boquists played on American Central Dust or was it Bryson, Duplantis, Masterson and Spencer?

"Rick V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
No particular order:

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
Son Volt - American Central Dust
The Avett Brothers - I and Me and You
Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard - One Fast Move
Pete Yorn - Back and Forth
The Black Crowes - Before The Frost......
Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 - Goodnight Oslo
Drive By Truckers - The Fine Print
Patterson Hood - Murdering Oscar
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound"

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

Mark Spencer wrote:
Rick V wrote:I enjoy Spencer's guitar playing a great deal BUT based on all that he's written on this message board it's safe to say he's a total fucking douchebag. Its really too bad. But he and Farrar deserve each other. Two ogres. Farrar showed what he's like when he couldn't get along with the guys in (the real) Son Volt - the Boquist bros and Heidorn - those three guys are as nice as you'll ever find. Anywhere.
Do you really need the $5.00 and free T-shirt that gets mailed out to each bored member I respond to THAT badly? You could at least come up with some new insults or here-say, the postage is pretty expensive, guy. Kudos, though, for figuring both myself AND Jay out, pret-ty slick, my man. No, really dude, that's cool, you made a mistake, so did Hitler.
Well, I "figured" you out from the many words you yourself have typed on this message board.
As for Jay, I've spoken at length to a couple of his former band members. Got the scoop from them. And Jay's ultra-friendly concert persona didn't throw me off the trail.

"bored member", "you made a mistake, so did Hitler" - um yeah nice try Mark. Stick to the guitar playing, my man.