12 String songs - Attn Pickers and strummers...

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

He doesn't play Greenwich time with a 12 in concert but I know what you mean, it does sound a bit fuller.

Rytone66

12-String Songs

Post by Rytone66 »

Not sure what songs are 12 string songs but "Greenwich Time" sounds like a 12 to me. Sounds like a 12 string lead on "Medicine Hat"... very Byrds-y when that lead comes in, though it doesn't last long.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Stretch -
If i ever make it up your way ill have to bring my 12 string!

stretch

12 string

Post by stretch »

My son fixed the computer. There were bugs crawling in and out of the hard drive. I love the sound of the 12 string and all the ideas flouting about on how to get that sound. I bet if you dig into the mix of a lot of Jays material there's 12 string whichery going on. Any way it's good to be back after a month of work and just playing music..

From the chilly shores of Lake Superior...

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Steal the crumbs sounds like it is a 12 stringer as well. Great tune.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Practice but practice wisely! Can you ever have enough guitars?
I have the AEF1812NT Acoustic 12 String Ibanez
Ibanez AW100 6 string Acoustic
Epiphone DOT Deluxe

All of recent vintage.. Like my playing.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I have been looking. I have a Takamine 6 string that I really like. I want a Martin, but ya know, don't want to sell my truck to get one. My brother has a Lys 12 string, made by Godin in Canada, it is a really nice one and very nice to play. He got a pretty good deal on eBay as well.

My electric is a '78 Gibson RD Custom, which is a great guitar, kind of rare, and I got it CHEAP.

Now if I could just play it better it would be worth having these.

Practice Practice Practice.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Hank I have a Ibanez AEFNT1812 twelve string that sounds pretty darn good that can be had fairly cheaply (not mine of course.. not selling) I think I bought mine on Ebay for 250 US. Think it is new about 500

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

No Depression is in Nashville tuning.

B-bender

Post by B-bender »

If we're talking about the same thing I've always reffered to it as high-strung. Where you use the octave set of strings from a twelve string on a regular guitar. It's generally more of a studio thing that people do instead of using a twelve string. Play the guitar parts on a regular guitar, then overdub the hich strung and you get a much bigger "Jangly" sound than if you used a 12 string alone. The other trick a lot of people do with it is to hang safety pins off the strings at the bridge end, that way you get a kind of eastern sitar sound.

Hank Snow

Nashville Tuning

Post by Hank Snow »

What would be an example of a Jay song in Nashville tuning?

I know he has one of his Bonzaniga (sp?) tuned that way. Isn't that using the high octive strings in a 12 string set, so that a 6 string sounds like a 12?

I play guitar, basic 6 acoustic and noisy electric. Want another acoustic to setup Nashiville, and want a 12 string.

ct

Post by ct »

Dam 12 strings, I have hard time with just 6.

ct

B-bender

Post by B-bender »

Personally I've found anything played in most of the "weirder" tunings gain something fron a little 12 string action 'specially anything in open G 'tho the neck of your guitar probably wont thank you much!

smoke

Post by smoke »

criminals maybe?

mcarlton

12 String songs - Attn Pickers and strummers...

Post by mcarlton »

Does anybody know any other 12 string songs from JF other than Slate or Out on the Road (i think sounds a bit 12 stringish)

Based on this article
http://www.jayfarrar.net/press/uncut0104.htm

he must be a big fan of Byrds/McGuinn and the Rickenbacker 12 string sound. So I was thinking what songs he did with a 12 string.

(I also would like to find a few more Jay songs that would sound good with a 12 string) Or even though not made with a 12 string... What would have sounded good that way?