What do you want to hear in Jay's next album

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

He seems to be in a writing cycle with songs about towns and happenings 100 years ago that actually happened, I'm guessing that is because he reads alot of American history books. I like whatever he does but if he never writes another song about a town or disaster again I'd be amazed, he draws alot from those things. However Trace has enough of that stuff to last me a lifetime. I'd love to hear a straight forward classic country album from him ala Ernest Tubb performed with hotshit Nashville guys.

mzkmm

next record?

Post by mzkmm »

Talking blues! The spoken intro to CALIFORNIA on the recent EP was very "listenable;" and every word was understandable. Unlike some of the sung lyrics! The original talking songs were religious in nature and developed into being sad laments or even comic commentary. Farrar probably woudn't be doing the latter, but the ohter two categories seem to match his subjects.

cleanslate

Post by cleanslate »

I want to hear some techno pop from Jay. I don't believe he has visited the genre yet.

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

mcarlton wrote:I love the town references. Doesnt bother me a bit. I am ready for whatever he wants to do. He has the voice! He is on a short list of greatest voices of all time. I don't think I could handle a cd of Jodel sound alikes however.
The town references were fine...the first god-only-knows how many times. Sebastopol itself, California (*gagging*), Barstow, etc. Pick a new topic, please.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Ok Hank.. You win

1. Space Junk 14
2. Jodel 2
3. Space Junk 15
4. Jodel Clearwater Revisited
5. Space crapola
6 ETC

I would take a pass. I concur Hank!

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

what if it was "Space Junk 1-12"? Would you still buy it?

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I love the town references. Doesnt bother me a bit. I am ready for whatever he wants to do. He has the voice! He is on a short list of greatest voices of all time. I don't think I could handle a cd of Jodel sound alikes however.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

thanks, I needed that hug. I can feel the love just flowing through the board. We haven't argued about politics or wilco for like a whole week.

saratoga jay

well said

Post by saratoga jay »

ok everybody....let's have a group hug for Hank. 8)

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I may have already said what I want to hear next from Jay, I don't remember. I just want to hear him sing some great heartfelt songs, with some wonderful guitar work on them, which is something he has done quite consistently for the last 15 years or so. I think if he is giving it his all and you can tell he means it, I don't care if it was a flamenco record or something with a it would sound good. This is not to say that I would love anything he did no questions asked. If it sucked, I would say it suck, but as talented and gifted and special a musican and artist as Farrar is, I can't picture him doing something that sucked.

Whatever he does, it is a sure bet that it will be excellent.

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

My personal feeling is I'd like to see Jay make an album that's more consistent for a change. The last time he made a consistent album without several filler tracks was back on Straightaways. Cut it out with "Space Junk"-esque tracks and make a solid, straightforward album. The way Jay composes music, making a brilliant 12 track album should not be a problem. I also pray for an album of lyrics that make more sense than the last several have (and less town names involved as well could be cool--no more name dropping or songs about California). I don't necessarily want SV from 5 years ago back, but I'm hoping for something that rocks a little more (like SSBL although I still can't get into it because I just don't like 75% of the tunes).

Basically, make an album that will put him back on the map with people (something I can show friends and try once again to get them hooked on Jay).

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

WOW, I am quite envious antelope. Thanks for the review. I wanted to head to NJ/NY and see those shows, but wasn't able to. Sounds like a fantastic weekend.

I will be seeing Jay a Week from tonight in FLA!!! Can't wait.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Yeah, Canyon without Brandon. I talked to Canyon's drummer before the Hoboken show for a second - I asked him what happened with Brandon. He said they got sick of playing with him.

The Hoboken club/stage is small. It wasn't easy squeezing all those guys up on stage together. Mark Spencer was kind of tucked in the corner.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

great post and review mr. lope. i wish i could've made the brooklyn show.

i'm guessing it was canyon w/o brandon???

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

With all due respect, I've just witnessed Jay, Mark Spencer and Canyon play two amazing shows this weekend and I can tell you, Jay hasn't lost a thing. Just a tremendous collection of songs that swing and cry and rock out like nobody's business. At both shows, I'm listening to people walk out at the end raving about the performance - blown away by the ferocity and power of the Lucifer Sam/Like A Hurricane close, amazed at the diversity of the whole set - from the solo acoustic/harmonica songs to the beauty and, yes, swing of Jay's solo songs with Spencer and Canyon's musicianship fleshing it out. I sat on the lawn for last night's show with my wife and her friend who had never heard of Jay. She loved the show and couldn't believe how much she enjoyed hearing a bunch of songs she'd never heard before. Say what you will about Sebastopol being overproduced or Terroir Blues not rocking (I love 'em both) but there's nothing lacking in the songs Jay's written in the last 5 years.

Notes on the shows for those who care: Doesn't Have To Be This Way had a slightly different arrangement and sound to it from the record - great Spencer guitar on it. Jay and Mark played Drug Store Truck Driving Man Friday night and changed that to Still Be Around Sat. night. Jay didn't play Six String Belief either night which surprised me. Both shows Jay started out with Greenwich Time then the full band joined him for basically the same set as SS&BL. After Clear Day Thunder, Canyon left and Jay & Mark played Driving The View, Tear Stained Eye (just Jay on that one), Drug Store (Fri.)/Still Be Around (Sat.), Windfall and then Canyon came back for the Lucifer Sam/Like A Hurricane encore. Friday night, when Lucifer Sam morphed into Like A Hurricane, they played a slow bluesy almost unrecognizable version of it through the first chorus before diving into the bombastic version. Friday night, just as that started that part, Jay pointed to Mark who instinctively knew that meant for him to play lead on it, which he immediately did. I think there was something wrong with Jay's guitar or equipment. Sat night Jay played lead on it. Kicked ass.

Jay's voice was in fine form and he talked a bit more than usual on Friday night. Said he'd had some interesting nights in Hoboken over the years.

I'm psyched I got to see Jay with Spencer and Canyon altogether. Got to enjoy a little bit of the Jay/Spencer duo thing along with the beautiful sounds these guys make on Jay's songs. Great weekend.

To answer the question of the subject of this post, if I had to choose I'd love to see a Son Volt reunion next up for Jay, just because it seems like the right time. But if Jay just wants to do another collection of solo songs with guest musicians I'm psyched for that too. I just want a diversity in the record, acoustic/electric, bluesy/folky/rock etc.