NPR Neil Link

calexico

Post by calexico »

I am a huge NY fan but I cannot sit through Greendale at all. Passionate is another clunker for me. Prairie Wind and Silver & Gold I love to bits. Chrome Dreams II is really good in places, Living With War was more of an "in the moment" album that I most likely will never play much again. FITR did nothing for me. I love SWA and Mirrorball and parts of Broken Arrow. Harvest Moon and Ragged Glory are fantastic. So that to me is a pretty decent strike rate over the last 20 years.

As for Le Noise, I think it is a really strange, brave and well worth the effort record. One which has the potential to become a firm favourite with a little time behind it.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

dcarter wrote:I thought that some of you might appreciate this:
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2010/10 ... -by-track/
yea! I like to hear what artists have to say. interesting to know how the editing was just as "instrumental " as the playing.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I thought that some of you might appreciate this:
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2010/10 ... -by-track/

manshank

Post by manshank »

I got a lecture from my Neil super fan that I need to LISTEN.....Listen he said again and again.....................I felt like I was seeing The infamous AI interview about...........................PRACTICE.....we are not even talking about THE GAME but practice..................

toot toot

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Carter is right, $100? No way for me either. I get more out of seeing some up and coming act for $8. Sorry. I think he is more into his trains anyways.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

sturgeongeneral wrote:keith, a bit of perspective:
ny's harvest hit me like a ton of bricks. heart of gold and old man scortched my soul. a man needs a maid accompanied by journeys of idealism until that someone sat me down and explained that beauty is always hidden within the pain of searching.

greendale gave me hope from the beginnings of the harmonica's yelp. i listened and listened and i listened. while the others dabbled in the pinings of yesteryear i gave respect and listened.

and yes, i listened again recently. i listened while the others continued to blather about the meanderings of their day leading up to the show. i shushed them a few times and only received glares. at one time, ny's performance would have only returned gold. now, he only competes with mindless discourse of texting. so, given that, i give him the respect to mail it in given his audience.
Cool cool. You have a point. Like I said, the first Twisted Road show I saw is comparable to what you're describing, so I can definitely see that. Still, even at this stage in his career, for me, there's no one I see on stage who puts more into their performance than him on his best nights.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

keith, a bit of perspective:
ny's harvest hit me like a ton of bricks. heart of gold and old man scortched my soul. a man needs a maid accompanied by journeys of idealism until that someone sat me down and explained that beauty is always hidden within the pain of searching.

greendale gave me hope from the beginnings of the harmonica's yelp. i listened and listened and i listened. while the others dabbled in the pinings of yesteryear i gave respect and listened.

and yes, i listened again recently. i listened while the others continued to blather about the meanderings of their day leading up to the show. i shushed them a few times and only received glares. at one time, ny's performance would have only returned gold. now, he only competes with mindless discourse of texting. so, given that, i give him the respect to mail it in given his audience.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

sturgeongeneral wrote:two cents, neil is mailing it in. not quite sure anyone of his stature can continue the same fervor as when the hunger was acute. rest on your laurels, my son, you deserve it.
I probably missed the answer to this question somewhere, but have you seen this tour? I've seen it twice. First time was in Wallingford, CT and it was quite possibly my worst live NY experience (in 30 something shows). Dude was lost. Not even phoning it in, just out of it. A couple months later I saw the show in Milwaukee and he KILLED it. Present is the word, he was right there, putting it all out there.
So basically in response to your post, I think he has his on and off days, as he always has. I don't think it's from a lack of fire or conviction by any stretch.

In response to Spencer's original post, I can appreciate all of his latter day output just for the fact that he's not afraid to take chances and explore new directions. It's not all hit record material or "classic neil" but it's all pretty fresh.
But I do sincerely love this record (along with Sleeps With Angels, Mirrorball, Broken Arrow, and Chrome Dreams II, all post Harvest Moon).

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I saw understood your point, Rollo. I am just saying that I can't imagine it applying to Tweedy. I can see myself thinking, "Could this be the last time I will have the opportunity to see Wilco, Tweedy, the Old 97s, Ryan Adams, Neko Case, any Sleater-Kinney related project, Belle & Sebastian, Conor Oberst, Aimee Mann, Richard Thompson, Bottle Rockets, and a few others?" but I can't imagine the opportunity costing $100 and up. There are some faves that would likely try and soak me for the 'final' opportunity because they can, i.e. Neil Young and other baby boomer faves plus U2, but they won't be getting my money.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

dcarter wrote:Zeag, I can see where you are coming from but the only way I would spend $100 and up to see Wilco or Jeff Tweedy is if it was part of some revue that had a couple other favorites and they were all doing full sets. Also, I can't imagine a Tweedy solo show, no matter his age, costing $100. And the truth is that I am a stranger, pal. :lol:

Confidential to derekf, Toussaint opening did make me rethink it.
Well...Tweedy will never have the catalog that Neil has, so that probably isn't an issue....but maybe you missed my point.

Toussaint was cool as the other side of the pillow....

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Zeag, I can see where you are coming from but the only way I would spend $100 and up to see Wilco or Jeff Tweedy is if it was part of some revue that had a couple other favorites and they were all doing full sets. Also, I can't imagine a Tweedy solo show, no matter his age, costing $100. And the truth is that I am a stranger, pal. :lol:

Confidential to derekf, Toussaint opening did make me rethink it.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

Dougie -

I hear you. The last $100 a ticket show I saw was Neil's Greendale in....2003???

After that, I swore off high priced shows and have held true to my word....until this recent tour. I'm not sure how often I will get to see Neil Young perform again...much less solo - so I bit the bullet and went.

When Neil came out and sat down with the acoustic, with the sweet sound of Ruth Eckerd Hall, I knew that it was $100 I would not regret spending.

If Tweety tours at the age of 70, you will probably spend whatever he is asking, for fear that it may be the last time you get to experience the magic....and I get that!!!

Don't be a stranger....

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

derekf wrote:Thanks for being negative after someone's good time. I'm gonna go eat a kiwi.
I sincerely apologize. I wasn't aware that I had such power. My intent was not to offend you so 'don't let it bring you down'. I was just expressing my opinion. I am certain that I would have enjoyed the heck out of the show if I had been willing to stuff some of my hard-earned salary into Neil Young's stuffed coffers.

derekf

Post by derekf »

And Bert Jansch couldn't make it so we got Allen Toussaint for the opener. He alone was worth half the price of admission.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Thanks for being negative after someone's good time. I'm gonna go eat a kiwi.