New at the cinema (subjective spoilers/one word reviews)

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

12 Years a Slave - brutal; as slavery films are. Great acting all around.
Out of the Furnace - PJ's "Release Me" bookends this film. Brother story. Christian Bale and Woody H. rocked. Inspiredt to buy some PJ.
The Book Thief - Brutal, as WW2 films are. Sweet story as WW2 movies are to show juxtoposition of humanity vs. inhumanity.

Am so sick of the wolf of wall street trailer prior to these films. It looks like it really sux.
Piss off jonah hill.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

The Broken Circle Breakdown. This movie really deserves it own thread. A Belgian film of a bluegrass lovestory. Really really beautiful, emotional, w/ phenominal music. A new name in my top ten. 4 Red Vines.

See it. For dudes and chicks.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Catching Fire-1 1/2 vines. I was not expecting it to end where it did. thought that was maybe the start of third act. ugh! not pleased with her love interest. he doesn't do shit. just mopes around. no man is worthy of Katniss. and peeta, maybe he'll show some actual balls in the next film and stop looking like he has to find a bathroom.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Philomena - Judi Dench stars as a based-on-real-life mom in search of the son taken away from her some 50 years earlier. Bleak scenes, but good acting. A fairly strong anti-religious, anti-Catholic in particular, stance in the film.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Two very different father/daughter movies. *spoilers*

Homefront-hi winona ryder! Hey cutie james franco. Go away annoying daughter.
Decide on an accent jason stratham (sp). Methy. Score: One vine for james francos sweet smile.

Old Boy-oh josh brolns naked ass....cool. ok a getting sober movie. No, its james brolin as a ninja in the worst fight scenes ever movie. Ok this has to get better its a spike lee joint. Where is this thing going? Is that guy leaving? I ate too many red vines. A "big brother" movie? Oh, incest.
Score: No vines.

amzie

Post by amzie »

I'll take your word on Hunger Games 2. I thought the first one was kid stuff--and if you want to scare someone, make them watch 120 Days of Sodom. Let's get real, here.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2) - more of the same: poor dialogue, mediocre acting, and hyperbolic plot. Improved CGI over the first film.

Nebraska - stark, yet very poignant. Alexander Payne delivers another excellent film. June Squibb should get a Best Supporting Actress nod.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Dallas Buyers Club - couldn't buy what they were selling. Overrated.

pdg

Post by pdg »

About Time - somewhat likeable rom-com about fathers and sons.

How I Live Now - detestable tripe, filled with gaffes and plot holes, in a film that tried too hard to be too many genres.

Blue Is the Warmest Color - perhaps the first NC17 film to be in the Oscars. Almost three hours long, with controversial lengthy sex scenes, that also gives an honest and heartbreaking study of the cycle of a relationship.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

The Armstrong Lie - nothing new

All Is Lost - something old

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

pdg wrote:Bad Grandpa - a guilty pleasure that is funny as hell, but so inappropriate. Just like the other Jackass films, and Borat.
+1

pdg

Post by pdg »

Let the Fire Burn - excellent documentary on the MOVE civil rights group in Philadelphia in 1985. The film depicts real life events, using only archived footage. No narrator, no agenda.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

amzie wrote:The Counselor absolutely sucks.

we the jury find this movie guilty of sucking really hard.

pdg

Post by pdg »

12 Years a Slave - excellent, but very disturbing film. A more accurate and gripping portrayal of slavery than last year's genre bending, and rather goofy, Django. Fans of The Butler may like this one better.

All Is Lost - another strong Best Picture contender. A literal viewing makes this a water based Murphy's Law, and there will be comparisons to Gravity. But the film is also metaphorical, with almost no talking, allowing for multiple interpretations. Robert Redford may finally win his first Best Actor.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Bad Grandpa - a guilty pleasure that is funny as hell, but so inappropriate. Just like the other Jackass films, and Borat.