New at the cinema (subjective spoilers/one word reviews)

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

amzie wrote:The Counselor absolutely sucks.
That's disappointing and surprising to hear, given that Cormac McCarthy wrote it. But I've seen some reviews that agree with you...

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Post by amzie »

The Counselor absolutely sucks.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Gravity-stressful. sandra cant cut a break anywhere, shit.
clooney annoying as "bon vivant" space captain. i'm laffing just typing clooney and space captain in the same sentence. space junk.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

'Money Pit' is a classic.

'Stories We Tell' is by far the best film I've seen this year.

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Post by amzie »

Rolling Stone gives "12 Years a Slave" 4 stars.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Trials of Mohammad Ali - documentary on the famed boxer that is equal part intriguing never-before-seen footage, and a syrupy slow factual PBS-style educational film.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

I watched 'Cast Away' for the first time, right after moving into an apartment following a marital separation. It was a bad choice paired with Lean Cuisine. Very powerful movie, and Hanks was perfect in it.

pdg

Post by pdg »

There are definitely some less than stellar Tom Hanks films out there. Like The 'Burbs. He has never been in a poor role, but a lot of those 80 schlock films held a humorous entertainment value at best.

Captain Phillips is a good movie. It certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is a bit sympathetic to the Somalians, in that the story starts with both their point of view and Phillips'. I did read the real Captain Phillips was quite a wanker with his crew. There is a small sense of that in the film, but not the magnitude I heard described by his crew.

See the movie at least for the last ten minutes or so, when Hanks delivers a jaw dropping emotional performance. And the kid playing the Somalian character Muse should get a supporting actor nomination.

amzie

Post by amzie »

OMG--I LOVE Money Pit--it has some hilarious mishaps and overall is FUNNY. I have been asked to name a bad Tom Hanks movie before and I couldn't do it--he just seems to act in quality films. I guess this latest is good, I just have no desire to see it.

It seems The Counselor will be "exciting," but I have detested Ridley Scott since he made "Black Hawk Down," which was pure propaganda and did not accurately portray the situation in Somalia.

Does Captain Phillips give any sympathy to the cause of the pirates? I reall y can't blame them for doing what they do. The US screwed Somalia big time, supporting a brutal dictatorship in exchange for a naval base. When the dictatorship fell we just left, after slaughtering thousands of civilians with our attack helicopters.

pdg

Post by pdg »

amzie wrote:Name a bad Tom Hanks movie.
The Money Pit. What's your point?

amzie

Post by amzie »

Argo must have won best picture for the number of close-ups of Ben Affleck's expressionless, bearded face. And though the story behind Argo seemed exciting, repeated dull shots of the director's face killed the excitement and made me root for the mission to fail.

Name a bad Tom Hanks movie. And piracy has been done in a film called A Hijacking.
Last edited by amzie on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Captain Philips - this year's Argo. A solid best film possibility, and standout acting for lead and supporting male characters. Based on true events that were likely altered for the Hollywood touch. This one had me more on the edge of my seat than Gravity. Tom Hanks acting towards the end is a knockout.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Well, Julianne Moore has sex with a much younger guy in The English Teacher, which is pretty good. Maybe she gives it a rest in Carrie, which somehow seems beneath her.

pdg

Post by pdg »

amzie wrote:You might recall, Moore had a similar role in Boogie Nights.
I have to admit, this has been rattling around my head. I was thinking, how many roles has Ms. Moore played where she's not having sex? The Big Lebowski and The Kids Are Alright were certainly stand out roles. Do you think she seeks out these roles, or is she limited what by what she is offered? I know, she has a choice to play these roles, but it's quite a coincidence that she always ends up having sex.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Kings of Summer - this was a surprise find at Redbox. Released less than two months ago, I missed catching this one in the local theater. Quirky indie teen movie that reminded me of parts from Stand By Me, Into the Wild and Moonrise Kingdom.