New at the cinema (subjective spoilers/one word reviews)

pdg

Post by pdg »

This Is Where I Leave You - dark humor about a dysfunctional family. Not as good as last year's August: Osage County. The story didn't have much of a point and the characters lacked depth. 4/10

pdg

Post by pdg »

Take Me To the River - this year's Muscle Shoals documentary. A mostly excellent documentary about the Memphis music scene, blending older and younger generations. I'd love to get this soundtrack.

DelindaWilliams

Post by DelindaWilliams »

Is that like the little tiny stone in the kidney Did you look that in the chart like in MyMathdone? :)
Last edited by DelindaWilliams on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them - good acting, but the film lacks direction or any thing in the plot to keep the viewer interested.

The Skeleton Twins - very enjoyable film, with great acting by Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader.

Both of these films had Bill Hader, a song from O.M.D., and gold fish.

pdg

Post by pdg »

A bit behind for the past month...

Love Is Strange - John Lithgow and Alfred Molina shine in this bittersweet drama about life, long term relationships, and dying.

The Trip to Italy - British humour infused follow up to The Trip. Reminded me a tad of Sideways.

The Notebook (Hungarian "A Nagy Füzet") - Not to be confused with the popular chic flick, this is a stark, harsh, violent, disturbingly interesting look at war. More specifically, how WWII destroyed the lives of a family, and the overwhelming impact on twin brothers and their survival. Reminded me a little of The Kite Runner.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Two existentialist films with mixed reviews that I enjoyed (good, not great):

Wish I Was Here (Zach Braff's follow-up to Garden State)
Magic in the Moonlight (Woody Allen's latest metaphorical love story)

pdg

Post by pdg »

Begin Again - this year's quasi Inside Llewyn Davis. A decent metaphorical story about the pop music industry.

The One-Hundred Foot Journey - disappointing food movie. The lead actors are good, but the supporting actors are stiff and uninteresting. Cliche-filled, predictable plot that never really finds a groove.

A Most Wanted Man - another reminder that I do not like John Le Carre stories (think of A Constant Gardener). One of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last roles, and he looks very unhealthy, with labored breath.

Alive Inside - an amazing and powerful documentary that shows the powerful affects music has on elderly patients with dementia. The film heavily criticizes the way the elderly are treated in the USA, unlike any other country. One of the top films I have seen this year.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Bump. I havent seen shit lately.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Boyhood - 12 Years A Knave. Good film, but a bit disappointing with all the positive reviews.

ct

Post by ct »

Bump

pdg

Post by pdg »

Venus In Fur - the two main actors from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in two amazing, standout performances in Roman Polanski's brilliant film version of the Broadway play.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Borgman- on the run, subterranian, gypsy grifter types invade a household. [/img][/url]

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

half-n-half wrote:
pdg wrote:The Fart In Our Stalls - plausible and mostly palatable, but the sugary sweet / lack of realism girl's father I wanted to punch in the face.

Chef - a predictable sort of liv,e action Ratatouille.
Was reading your review when my niece sent me a text. Looks like i'll be seeing The Fart In Our Stalls in about an hour. :?
Super cute, too perfect boyfriend. Lots of crying & sniffles in the theatre. Strange use of Willem Dafoe.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

pdg wrote:The Fart In Our Stalls - plausible and mostly palatable, but the sugary sweet / lack of realism girl's father I wanted to punch in the face.

Was reading your review when my niece sent me a text. Looks like i'll be seeing The Fart In Our Stalls in about an hour. :?

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Fart In Our Stalls - plausible and mostly palatable, but the sugary sweet / lack of realism girl's father I wanted to punch in the face.