Ten best Band songs-Paste magazine

ktheintz

The Rumor

Post by ktheintz »

from Stage Fright, so good a song Graham Parker named his band after it (true story).

Also meh on anything that The Band released after Stage Fright (the live concerts notwithstanding).

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
My list (in no particular order):

1. Stage Fright (I saw Rick Danko sing this when he toured with Paul Butterfield. I will never forget it).
2. The Weight
3. The Night...Dixie
4. Up On Cripple Creek
5. W.S. Walcott Medicine Show
6. Chest Fever
7. It Makes No Difference
8. Ophelia
9. King Harvest "rainmaker can you hear the call, please make these crops grow...scarecrow, yellow moon; pretty soon a carnival on the edge of town"
10. Tears of Rage

Damn, that is hard to argue with.
Ten amazing songs from one of the best bands ever.

manshank

Post by manshank »

I saw Rick open for the NRPS and he was awesome.....no doubt It Makes No Difference in my top ten indv. songs ever.....ever. Sad part was he came out for the encore with NRPS to do Dead Flowers and he was cocked and they basically had to prop him up. So it was a great night as well as sad...............NRPS ripped it up though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

i'm pretty convinced It Make no Difference is the best song ever written

and Danko's vocal on the Last Waltz is the best vocal ever

pretty mindblowing combination

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

It's funny how sometimes one of these list threads can keep gnawing away. I listened again to Stage Fright, the album, and once again have determined that it is a perfect album. Flawless. Of course, this is without consulting one of Mark Spencer's focus groups so they can help formulate my opinion...but in any event, this is one of those instances where I am floored as to how there isn't a single track from this album on a top ten list. I guess that means I need to tag this as an "underrated" album, though I have never considered it such. I don't like the way that kind of stuff gets bandied around. The Paste list refers to "most well known', most underrated, most popular" and I don't know what any of this can be based on. King Harvest certainly has never been "most underrated" to me. Pet peeve, I guess.

The I listened to each of the ten songs on Paste's list. The easiest to cut was the track from the Basement Tapes and then it was hard but I decided that Across the Great Divide had to go in order to squeeze in at least more cut from Stage Fright. I agree with Paste, "fantastic opener" but if the list absolutely had to be 10 songs then it gets cast aside. This means, too, that I couldn't add the three or four songs I wanted to. I decided I would add just two.

My list (in no particular order):

1. Stage Fright (I saw Rick Danko sing this when he toured with Paul Butterfield. I will never forget it).
2. The Weight
3. The Night...Dixie
4. Up On Cripple Creek
5. W.S. Walcott Medicine Show
6. Chest Fever
7. It Makes No Difference
8. Ophelia
9. King Harvest "rainmaker can you hear the call, please make these crops grow...scarecrow, yellow moon; pretty soon a carnival on the edge of town"
10. Tears of Rage

tele

Post by tele »

Acadian Driftwood for sure, Baby don't you do it and life is a carnival are up there for me

manshank

Post by manshank »

I'd have to put Unfaithful Servant and Acadian Driftwood in there somewhere.............................this one might not count but I really love Christmas Must be Tonight also.......

piss me off......only chance I got to see them was at Watkins Glen and got in a damn car accident on the way there and never made it.........

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Talus wrote:Ain't No More Cane would have to make the list as well.
Yeah Baby!

Talus

Post by Talus »

Ain't No More Cane would have to make the list as well.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Impossible task.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Stage Fright has to be in there. I'd put The Shape I'm In and Don't Do It (Baby Don't You Do It) on the list as well. Only trouble is I thought I could easily look through Paste's list and knock a few off, but it isn't that easy. My favorite The Band album is Stage Fright so my own list would have started from there...three tracks, minimum. The ones mentioned above (from Stage Fright) plus The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show (and Daniel and the Sacred harp as first runner-up).

So that means that track from the Basement Tapes would probably have to be sacrificed. After that, I don't know. Maybe this would have to be a Top 15.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Definitely Rag Mama Rag, and also The Shape I'm In, which is by far my favorite.

Talus

Ten best Band songs-Paste magazine

Post by Talus »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... songs.html

Discuss...

I'd put Rag Mama Rag in there somewhere...