el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Folks need to pet heavier these days.

manshank

Post by manshank »

made my day halfy

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

i expect a make out/heavy petting session with the rock stars i meet.
including david hasselhoff.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

tele wrote:Jay seems like the type that a simple "thanks for the music" would do just fine
and meeting famous people is probably more times disappointing than not.
+1

tele

Post by tele »

Anyone who has played out for a while ( even in a small bar band) have encountered people that just want to be engaged briefly. Most people run out of things to say after a minute, they don't know it is the 10th identical conversation that evening. That must be hard when magnified by 1000 because you have things to do at a set break or after a show.
I have read about the lukewarm reception people have got from Jay when meeting him, he probably finds it awkward to have people telling him how great he is over and over. Looking at his onstage body language and crowd banter he aint exactly David Lee Roth to start with. Jay seems like the type that a simple "thanks for the music" would do just fine
and meeting famous people is probably more times disappointing than not.

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

the Watcher wrote:
sam6025 wrote:That's a totally different thing. A novelist sits in their home and write out a story. A performer comes into your hometown, sets up at your favorite bar/club/coffee house/etc and plays you some songs. Not taking the time to at least say, "Hello. Thanks for coming." if someone comes up to you is rude. Seriously, how hard is it to just be like "Glad you dig it. Thanks a lot for coming out. I hate to cut this short, but I've got to pack up, it's a long drive to the next town." That 10 seconds of dialogue said in a semi-sincere manor will make you much more memorable and endearing to your fans.
To my mind the analogy is more author:novel::musician:recorded product. I guess that's what I had in mind when I made the thread.

I recognize that live shows are different, but to my mind I still don't get the thing about meeting the artist. And if it is that important, then there are signings and meet and greets and such. I dunno, I wouldn't ever approach one of these people when they're "off the clock." And to my mind once they leave the stage, or get up from the signing table, they're
off the clock.

I do recognize the counter argument, as well as the fact that I may be in the minority.
I'm a business owner in a small town, and people tend to want to say hello to me if they pass me on the sidewalk or meet me in the gorcery store. Now if I go and snub them, I might actually lose them as customers just because I have a need to have my own personal space. That's human nature and ego's etc.

When I want my own personal space, I go home. If people come home to me or call me up when I'm at home, they must have a damned good reason for it. I personally think it weird to have people invading my private life that way. Sometimes it's no big deal, other times you want to tell them to piss off.

I guess you figure you share something with that artist or you know them somehow or the other. I've met quite a few of the "local" artists around here, and they've always been friendly and cool in real life. It takes little to be friendly and make your fans have something to storymake with their friends and feel joy about meeting someone they think special. That's why people want to meet someone they like/look up to.

It's an obligation really , but it takes a bit of humbleness and carefulness from all.

the Watcher

Post by the Watcher »

sam6025 wrote:That's a totally different thing. A novelist sits in their home and write out a story. A performer comes into your hometown, sets up at your favorite bar/club/coffee house/etc and plays you some songs. Not taking the time to at least say, "Hello. Thanks for coming." if someone comes up to you is rude. Seriously, how hard is it to just be like "Glad you dig it. Thanks a lot for coming out. I hate to cut this short, but I've got to pack up, it's a long drive to the next town." That 10 seconds of dialogue said in a semi-sincere manor will make you much more memorable and endearing to your fans.
To my mind the analogy is more author:novel::musician:recorded product. I guess that's what I had in mind when I made the thread.

I recognize that live shows are different, but to my mind I still don't get the thing about meeting the artist. And if it is that important, then there are signings and meet and greets and such. I dunno, I wouldn't ever approach one of these people when they're "off the clock." And to my mind once they leave the stage, or get up from the signing table, they're
off the clock.

I do recognize the counter argument, as well as the fact that I may be in the minority.

calexico

Post by calexico »

That's a great point in fairness. Most artists at that level seem fairly cool with chatting for a bit and most people realise that they need to get packed up and moving so it's usually a pretty quick scene and the punter is happy they got to talk.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

That's a totally different thing. A novelist sits in their home and write out a story. A performer comes into your hometown, sets up at your favorite bar/club/coffee house/etc and plays you some songs. Not taking the time to at least say, "Hello. Thanks for coming." if someone comes up to you is rude. Seriously, how hard is it to just be like "Glad you dig it. Thanks a lot for coming out. I hate to cut this short, but I've got to pack up, it's a long drive to the next town." That 10 seconds of dialogue said in a semi-sincere manor will make you much more memorable and endearing to your fans.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

the Watcher

Wanting to meet an artist b/c you like his/her work

Post by the Watcher »

Wanting to meet an author because you like his novel is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate.

- Margaret Atwood

Good quote. Reminds me of the semi-annual threads about boarders being disappointed with their personal encounters with JF. Never understood that sentiment, and Atwood puts it perfectly.