New Old 97s

Clauquas255

Post by Clauquas255 »

Yes for sure.

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

Vol. II > Vol. I for sure. I actually like Blame it on Gravity a lot, but Vol. II sounds like I expect the 97's to sound, without sounding tired at the same time. Great stuff.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I dig the tune too -- one of the best on the record. I didn't mean to suggest that it's a Wilco rip-off, by any means... Just sounds a bit like Wilco to me (or, I should say, what I wish Wilco sounded like more often than they do of late!).

At any rate, folks need to buy this record. It'll renew your faith in the Old 97s. It's at least as good as anything they've done since 'Too Far to Care.' I don't think anything will ever top that one, but this comes as close as any to matching it.

Tim in Chapel Hill

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I absolutely love the tune You Call It Rain. The guitar on that song sounds great and compliments the song perfectly. And much like the rest of the album, Rhett's vocals do sound raspy, but good. The whole album has a real loose feel to it.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

"No Simple Machine" and "White Port" pack a serious punch -- both really among the band's best ever, imo. Does anyone else think the closing track, "You Call It Rain," sounds like it could be a Wilco tune? The instrumentation, lyrics, and even Rhett's voice has a bit of a Tweedy-esque rasp in it.

Tim in Chapel Hill

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

The Grand Theatre Vol. 2 is the best thing this band has done since "Too Far to Care". I didn't understand the hype about Vol. 1. Yeah, it was better than "Blame It On Gravity", but just about anything would have been. This new one is truly a 97's classic! (I haven't posted on this board in over a year, so damn right I mean it.)

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

yeah, got Wreck Your Life too...forgot about that. damn good cassette tape! wondering about the new stuff. Rhett's got 3 publishing outlets on his creative table, a family, living in NY (shit ain't cheap and that kid's going to go to school). that's impressive is all. is Vol. 2 a good pick up point after a long sojourn? i guess it would be, you've stated as much. thanks

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Go get Wreck Your Life and Too Far to Care right now.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

i have Hitchhike To Rhome on cassette tape and i feel the desperate pang of needing something else by them after hearing Rhett Miller's interview over the weekend. this begs the question - is Rhett still fronting the 97's. once a junky, always a junky. i need me some Old 97's. thanks for the rekindle.

gdavis5446

New Old 97s

Post by gdavis5446 »

Grand Theatre Volume 2 is out and it is really good. Give it a listen or two. It might be better than Volume 1. Maybe the best thing they have done since Satellite Rides.