Wilco - The Whole Love

calexico

Post by calexico »

I must say I am enjoying this a lot more than the two previous albums. There is something here for most every incarnation of Wilco fan. They remain a killer live band too, don't forget.

I'd rather have them around than not, that's for sure.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

I was also really disenchanted with Sky Blue Sky and, especially, Wilco (the album)...but I must say, I've given this one a few spins, and I really like it. I disagree with Sturg and Tokyo about "One Sunday Morning". The hook never gets repetitive for me, and the lyrics are extremely personal and affecting. The rest of the album pays a lot of debts to both Being There and Summerteeth, while "Art of Almost" could almost be seen as a leftover from the YHF sessions. In my opinion, it could stand up against Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", Beatles "White Album", the best of Django Reinhardt, Son Volt's "Trace", etc. (That last sentence was thrown in just for laughs.)

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

sturgeongeneral wrote:... nothing exceeds like excess.
Yep. And I listened to the first disc of Being There again and I could have been blindfolded and jabbed a finger at any point on the jacket cover and have singled out a better written tune. In my humble opinion, of course!

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

tokyo, my thoughts completely. a nice hook that goes on for an excess of 12 minutes. as i am reminded of a movie critic's review of scarface years ago, nothing exceeds like excess.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I just listened to One Sunday Morning, courtesy of sturgeon's posted link, and can't see what all the excitement is about this particular track. Every single song on Being There, imho, leaves this one in the dust. I listened to the tune all the way to the end in some half crazed fantasy that there would be more to it than the initially pleasant repetitiveness of the opening hook.

After being pleasantly surprised by the Letterman mini-concert now I find myself disappointed.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:... but 'One Sunday Morning' ranks above (or at least in a tie with) the best Jeff has ever written. Phenomenal.

Tim in Chapel Hill
and the tie is with what? Just curious.

spaulding

Post by spaulding »

I have a record buying rule that's always done me solid: fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me. In other words, any good band can put out a bad album, but once they've put out two bad albums in a row I don't go back a third time.

Wilco has reached this point after their last two lp's (Sky - bad - Wilco (the album) - awful). And yet.......it's frickin' Wilco! So I extended my rule for them - to 3 strikes and you're out.

It brings me no pleasure to declare them 'out.'

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

turpentim wrote:
countryfeedback wrote:The entire album does very little for me....That is until the last track...One Sunday Morning might be the greatest song Jeff has ever written...Pure genius.
Absolutely 100% agreed. Once again, I'm really disappointed by a new Wilco record, but 'One Sunday Morning' ranks above (or at least in a tie with) the best Jeff has ever written. Phenomenal.

Tim in Chapel Hill
2nd day that I have had the album and I can offically say I have never repeated a song over and over as much as this one.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

countryfeedback wrote:The entire album does very little for me....That is until the last track...One Sunday Morning might be the greatest song Jeff has ever written...Pure genius.
Absolutely 100% agreed. Once again, I'm really disappointed by a new Wilco record, but 'One Sunday Morning' ranks above (or at least in a tie with) the best Jeff has ever written. Phenomenal.

Tim in Chapel Hill

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Over at amazon's MP3 store.. lots of wilco for 5 or 5 US$.

I see The Whole Love for 5.99, Wilco, Summerteeth, YHF, GiB, Being There are $5

With their downloader app it will pull it right into your Itunes.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

The entire album does very little for me....That is until the last track...One Sunday Morning might be the greatest song Jeff has ever written...Pure genius.

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Smoke and mirrors.

"Mini-concert"

Dude#1: "Hey yo dude, what up! I totally saw Wilco's mini-concert!"

Dude#2: "Sweet brah, how was it?"

Dude#1: "They put on a kallar show brah!"

Exit stage right.

manshank

Post by manshank »

MongolVolt

Post by MongolVolt »

Just walked in from seeing Wilco play outside of DC tonight. A lot of older songs and a heavy dose off the new album. The album closer, "One Sunday Morning", was perhaps the finest thing played this evening. It is a long, winding acoustic tune that really stood out. The 6 song encore wasn't bad either.