Tweedy on Farrar in new Spin...

dtgrock

Post by dtgrock »

I'm in the midst of reading that book (Kot), and I just don't thing Jay cares. I'm sure he's heard their stuff, and I hate to read into Jay's mind, but I believe he just wants to do his own thing. I believe he enjoys the freedom of making his own decisions, his own songs, and playing the music he wants to make. I think we are just analyzing him and Uncle Tupelo too much and he really doesn't care what Wilco or Jeff does. They used to be good friends so I'm sure he wishes them all the luck - but it just doesn't matter. Whatever happened to Heidorn - I missed that part in the book?

dtgrock

Post by dtgrock »

countryBoy wrote:After Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born I doubt Jeff sits around worrying that he has something to prove to somebody. I'm not sure why most want to speculate about some imaginary contest between these two guys or can't understand why they aren't best friends. They grew apart personally and musically its no big deal.

No I don't google my old friends, heck I barely have time for those I still talk to now except on holidays, bdays, funerals or babies being born. My best friend that I've known since jr. high married my first cousin over 12 years ago and we have only seen each other maybe 20 times since and have talked even less, and I lived with his family for 3 years. I'm guessing that being family men as well as full time touring and recording artists leaves little time for these guys to worry about each others doings.

Jeff made the most important records of his life without Jay. I'm sure he looks back on Uncle T with some fondness but by 1996 he had surpassed anything Uncle Tupelo accomplished. Same with Jay, the safe bet is they live in the now.

I have pretty much every cd and some shows of both Wilco, Jay, Jeff, and Son Volt - and you can't compare - Jay is way above in songwriting and he is a better singer by himself. I don't even touch a Ghost is Born or Yankee Hotel - God what is wrong with you - maybe milked too many cows? By the way, you are a stud countryboy!

dtgrock

Post by dtgrock »

Bigb wrote:I have to agree 100% with CountryBoy. To my ears, it's fairly obvious that both have accomplished much more musically than they did with Uncle Tupelo. I was a big fan of Tupelo in the day. I think that there music holds up very well but Wilco, Son Volt and Jay solo take the songwriting to a whole new level.

Wilco live is 10 times better than Uncle Tupelo as well!
Maybe Tweedy solo is ok - but Wilco - come on they have a few good songs, but are you listening to the same music as I? Maybe you and the countryboy should go back to the country and milk some cows.

joshua

Post by joshua »

I've been in bands with people, and since then we've gone on to do other projects and rarely keep in touch (ala tweedy and farrar). I still keep up with what they're doing for the most part. I can't appreciate all of it, but it's alot better off the way things are now. I can look at their work and say "Yeah, what they're doing now is the reason I couldn't do what i wanted to when we were in a band together." I'm sure they hear each other's work. And whether or not they enjoy it, I'm sure they appreciate it.
I don't think tweedy is looking for farrar's acceptance. But I've popped into my former band mates websites of their new projects and have said "Hey, have you heard our new album? Check it out. I really want your opinion on it." I don't expect them to like it, but I'd really like them to see what I've been up to.
It's probably no different between the two of them.

Now if we can only get a Farrar/Wilco co-headlining tour :)

mzkmm

countryboy:

Post by mzkmm »

Good insight. Good evaluation. At one time the average American worker held down seven (7) completely different jobs/professions in a lifetime. If Farrar-Tweedy were together for 12 years, they actually fell behind! I'm not sure that "proud" describes their feelings about UT's grandfathered popularity. They seem to sound a little surprised.

eamon

Post by eamon »

:( OOPS What I meant to say :?: Keep up the talk I'm sure it helps to sale products the mistery behind the real story of this subject is intriging :!: :!: It to bad I can't spell either :roll:

eamon

Post by eamon »

:roll: What the HELL passed through on a perfectly great Topic :evil:

Mr. Browning

Post by Mr. Browning »

I love Uncle Tupelo. Fuck you Tweedy! Fuck you Farrar! Get over it! You're both great. Fuck off...

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

What I meant was they have had sucess on a greater level than UT. Jeff certainly has surpassed anything he did in UT with Wilco, songwriting, sales and popularity. Son Volts' three albums same thing. Uncle Tupelo were an underground indie band, not that thats a bad thing and I'm sure the guys are proud what they accomplished but I don't think they regard it as a defining moment.

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

I have to agree 100% with CountryBoy. To my ears, it's fairly obvious that both have accomplished much more musically than they did with Uncle Tupelo. I was a big fan of Tupelo in the day. I think that there music holds up very well but Wilco, Son Volt and Jay solo take the songwriting to a whole new level.

Wilco live is 10 times better than Uncle Tupelo as well!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

countryBoy wrote: Jeff made the most important records of his life without Jay. I'm sure he looks back on Uncle T with some fondness but by 1996 he had surpassed anything Uncle Tupelo accomplished. Same with Jay, the safe bet is they live in the now.
I would grudgingly, MAYBE agree that Jay and Jeff have accomplished more in their post UT days then when they were together, but that would be splitting hairs. In my opinion neither have impressed me the way UT has. Probably never will. So I guess I disagree with you a little, or at least felt the need to distinguish between "accomplish" and "put out good music that *I* like". But like I said, 6 of one, a dozen of the other. ;)

-gk-

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

After Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born I doubt Jeff sits around worrying that he has something to prove to somebody. I'm not sure why most want to speculate about some imaginary contest between these two guys or can't understand why they aren't best friends. They grew apart personally and musically its no big deal.

No I don't google my old friends, heck I barely have time for those I still talk to now except on holidays, bdays, funerals or babies being born. My best friend that I've known since jr. high married my first cousin over 12 years ago and we have only seen each other maybe 20 times since and have talked even less, and I lived with his family for 3 years. I'm guessing that being family men as well as full time touring and recording artists leaves little time for these guys to worry about each others doings.

Jeff made the most important records of his life without Jay. I'm sure he looks back on Uncle T with some fondness but by 1996 he had surpassed anything Uncle Tupelo accomplished. Same with Jay, the safe bet is they live in the now.

sotampacane

Jay has listened to Wilco-see interview in St. pete Times

Post by sotampacane »

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/08/01/Flori ... nge_.shtml

This article pretty much answers Jeff's concerns.

farmerslung

Post by farmerslung »

i clearly remember reading an article about son volt when trace came out. In it, they asked jay if he ever spoke to jeff or anyone else in wilco and he said something to the effect of - "not really, but i sent them a note congratualting them on their album (wilco's A.M.) and letting them know how much i liked it." so he's definetly heard wilco and said so to the press. didn't he also particape(interviews) with that new wilco book that came out, "learning how to die"? i haven't read it so i don't know if he kept his comments to uncle tupelo or if he said anything about wilco.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

cool, sharon!!!

sounds like a pretty good name for a band....the retractions.