New Multitudes

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

PHILLY, YO!!!

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Yep I'll be at the NY show. Contemplating Virginia and Philly too. (I was trying to not gloat in my previous response, for those of you far away from these shows.)

HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED

Post by HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED »

Antelope-any of those close to you?

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

March
6 – San Francisco, Calif. @ The Filmore
7 – Lost Angeles, Calif. @ Music Box
9 – Portland, Ore. @ Crystal Ballroom
10 – Seattle, Wash. @ Showbox
12 – Washington, D.C. @ The Birchmere
13 – Philadelphia, Penn. @ Union Transfer
14 – New York, N.Y. @ Webster Hall
16 – Boston, Mass. @ Paradise

HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED

Jan. 24th was the first date-its feb. 28th on both the regular and deluxe. Also-paste has tour dates up now,but not many dates and nowhere close to me. sad face.......

tremolo

Post by tremolo »

Amazon is showing a release date of january 24 ?? Maybe the deluxe is not available until feb 28th. anyone know?

Highwater61

Post by Highwater61 »

Great cover.

stablew

Post by stablew »

This sounds really good--I'm excited.

zach

Post by zach »

mraney

Post by mraney »

From the Anders Parker email list:

JAY FARRAR, WILL JOHNSON, ANDERS PARKER AND YIM YAMES PAY HOMAGE TO WOODY GUTHRIE ON “NEW MULTITUDES” OUT FEBRUARY 28
Burlington, MA – Like a cadre of musical brothers finally coalescing after years on the road apart, Jay Farrar (Son Volt, Gob Iron, Uncle Tupelo), Will Johnson (Centro-matic, South San Gabriel), Anders Parker (Varnaline, Gob Iron) and Yim Yames (My Morning Jacket, Monsters of Folk) gratefully deliver New Multitudes, an intimate interpretation of American icon and musical legend Woody Guthrie’s previously unrecorded lyrics.

Set to coincide with the centennial celebration of Woody Guthrie’s birth year, New Multitudes will be released February 28 on Rounder Records as a 12 track release and a 23 track deluxe, limited edition. The limited edition features original Guthrie lyric sheets, the 12 track release, and 11 additional compositions recorded by Farrar and Parker. The album will also be available on vinyl.

Under the invitation of Nora Guthrie, Woody’s daughter, to tour the Guthrie archives, each of the four songwriters were offered the chance to plumb and mine the plethora of notebooks, scratch pads, napkins, etc. for anything that might inspire them to lend their voices and give the words new life.

“These guys worked on an amazing group of lyrics” says Nora. “Much of it was culled from Woody’s times in L.A. Lyric wise, it’s a part of the story that is still mostly unknown. From Woody’s experiences on LA’s skid row to his later years in Topanga Canyon, they are uniquely intimate, and relate two distinctly emotional periods in his life.”

The spirit of Guthrie may have been involved in more ways than one, as all four songwriters mentioned the immediate connection to the songs they chose, or as they would suggest, “chose them.” The writing came together quickly, as if the mischief muse who originally penned them latched himself to each writer's grey matter upon first contact.

Musically, it is this sense of collaboration that makes New Multitudes not just another trite and traditional acoustic regurgitation of back porch blues. From the ragged jangle of its opening track, “Hoping Machine”, the loping lilt of “Fly High”, the floorboard stomp of “No Fear”, to the lush warmth and sudden sonic gut punch of “My Revolutionary Mind” the cohorts deliver a lesson in discovering a song’s sweet spot. It’s the function and preparedness of each artist’s dogged work ethic gleaned the old-fashion way; veracious songs, road weary odometers, and sweat stained live shows, all attributes of the man they are honoring.

New Multitudes track listing:

1. Hoping Machine
2. Fly High
3. My Revolutionary Mind
4. VD City
5. Old L.A.
6. Talking Empty Bed Blues
7. Chorine
8. Careless Reckless Love
9. Angel’s Blues
10. No Fear
11. Changing World
12. New Multitudes

HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED

Cool! i heard it-great song-cant wait to hear the rest.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Can't find it on the WWW anywhere. Mr NYC lope, please provide the link

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

You can listen to Old L.A. from the album on the New Multitudes Facebook page. Anders sings it. It's great.