New Multitudes

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:Jim James or Yim Yames. Which is it? Strange.
I've got to admit this has puzzled me as well. Here is what Wikipedia says, making it sound as if ALL the members have identity issues:

"My Morning Jacket was formed in 1998 in Louisville, Kentucky by singer, songwriter and guitarist Jim James (real name: James Olliges Jr). The original line-up also included three members of the Shelbyville emo-punk band Winter Death Club; namely John McQuade (later known as Johnny Quaid - guitar and vocals), Tom Blankenship (later known as Two Tone Tommy - bass) and J. Roberts (later known as J. Glenn - drums). "
Ha ha! Hilarious. It does sound as if they all have identity issues. When I think of Jay Farrar and his persona, it is difficult to imagine him working with someone who goes by different names. Regardless of talent, pretentiousness of that type signals "asshole". It is hard to picture Jay taking such a person seriously. Yim Yames indeed! It bothers me that Jay Farrar seemingly doesn't think, "douchebag".

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

gdavis5446 wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:
I've got to admit this has puzzled me as well. Here is what Wikipedia says, making it sound as if ALL the members have identity issues:

"My Morning Jacket was formed in 1998 in Louisville, Kentucky by singer, songwriter and guitarist Jim James (real name: James Olliges Jr). The original line-up also included three members of the Shelbyville emo-punk band Winter Death Club; namely John McQuade (later known as Johnny Quaid - guitar and vocals), Tom Blankenship (later known as Two Tone Tommy - bass) and J. Roberts (later known as J. Glenn - drums). "
yea, I thought it was a typo as well but I am thinking now that maybe he just uses it as an alias for side projects outside of MMJ. But then again, maybe he just flat out changed his name!

When I first saw Yim Yames I thoguht it was a Fast Atmosphere typo. Now I see it everywhere. I have been familiar with My Morning Jacket and own several of releses but always thoght it was JJ. Maybe YY is a legal alias.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Tokyo Fan wrote:

When I first saw Yim Yames I thoguht it was a Fast Atmosphere typo. Now I see it everywhere. I have been familiar with My Morning Jacket and own several of releses but always thoght it was JJ. Maybe YY is a legal alias.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Jim James or Yim Yames. Which is it? Strange.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I too would have bet my life that that Farrar fella was playing that scorching, UT-esque solo to close out that track. Glad I didn't, I guess...

Amazing stuff nonetheless.

Is it February 28 yet?

Tim in Chapel Hill

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Guess, with a good nod, I'm wrong on that one. Anybody want some eggs? We have a bunch of chickens down here in North Florida.

The twins are coming soon, and I'm having a hard time keeping up with all this web-sense.

Lovie-lovey,
Horsie

Creston Electric

Re: Jay on the solo guitar

Post by Creston Electric »

Grifterwithafunnylittleha wrote:I do believe that Mr. Jay Farrar plays the guitar solo outro on this one; you know, his style and all. Maybe I'm wrong, but his playing is unmistakable.

Loveyoustillbe,
Pony
Mistakable. That's Anders.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Jay on the solo guitar

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

I do believe that Mr. Jay Farrar plays the guitar solo outro on this one; you know, his style and all. Maybe I'm wrong, but his playing is unmistakable.

Loveyoustillbe,
Pony

howfast

Post by howfast »

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Tuesday Feb. 21 on WFUV in New York.

www.wfuv.org

7:40 AM and 4:45 PM, Take Five: Jay Farrar (Son Volt), Will Johnson (Centro-matic), Anders Parker (Varnaline), and Yim Yames (My Morning Jacket) talk with FUV's Rita Houston about their work with the Woody Guthrie Archives and the resulting project, New Multitudes.

9 PM, Words and Music from Studio A: New Multitudes combines the musical talents of Jay Farrar (Son Volt), Will Johnson (Centro-matic), Anders Parker (Varnaline), and Yim Yames (My Morning Jacket) and the words of Woody Guthrie -- in an impressive addition to this year's Woody Guthrie Centennial. Learn more as the foursome joins FUV's Rita Houston in Studio A.

danmen

Post by danmen »

Sneak peak, courtesy of a link from Birmingham Mountain Radio.
http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/2012/01 ... es-old-la/

cind

Post by cind »

Boston! Holy cow.
Mulling NYC.
And a late spring sv tour as well...giddy gal here.