New Multitudes

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Antelope850 wrote:Been listening to Jake Walk Blues a bunch today, wondering exactly what the Jake Walk was. Then, while looking for a restaurant to eat at tomorrow night with the in-laws, I happened to discover the Jake Walk in Brooklyn, with this description:

The Story of the JakeWalk

One of the more tragic aspects of Prohibition was known as the “Jake Walk”— a peculiar, stiff-legged gait that afflicted people who had been drinking Jamaica Ginger, an alcohol-based patent medicine that turned out to have been contaminated with a neurotoxin as a result of the efforts made by the shady characters who were marketing it to come up with a formula that would get by the Dry authorities.

Collaborate that!
Very interesting, and adds color to the song. Thanks a lot for the info.

Jose Pardo

Post by Jose Pardo »

The fact they came from each their own will make the live shows that much more intriguing. I really hope their is a live recording released. Video even better.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

I am surprised to say that Hoping Machine is some of the best I've heard from Jay recently. The vocals are just fucking beautiful.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Been listening to Jake Walk Blues a bunch today, wondering exactly what the Jake Walk was. Then, while looking for a restaurant to eat at tomorrow night with the in-laws, I happened to discover the Jake Walk in Brooklyn, with this description:

The Story of the JakeWalk

One of the more tragic aspects of Prohibition was known as the “Jake Walk”— a peculiar, stiff-legged gait that afflicted people who had been drinking Jamaica Ginger, an alcohol-based patent medicine that turned out to have been contaminated with a neurotoxin as a result of the efforts made by the shady characters who were marketing it to come up with a formula that would get by the Dry authorities.

Collaborate that!

HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED

Post by HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED »

i have played it 15 times now-it rules! Granted- i dig disc 2 better-but overall its pretty good,still mad that i wont see them live,but oh well.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

More importantly what about my tear stained eyes from staring at the sun?

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Mine arrived today....One listen all the way through....first impressions: no, it doesn't sound like a collaborative effort....but definitely some really good moments, moments that tell me i'm going to enjoy getting to know this record.....i think disc 2 is going to be my "go to"....and Anders might be the star of this show.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

The problem with message board in general these days is that they are only inhabited by the most rabid of fans. I was looking forward to getting on here and discussing the album. I think it is great, I've listened to it nonstop since I bought it on Wednesday.

However, I still feel like this was a misrepresented project. It sounds like they did some backup vocal for each other to justify calling it a collaborative effort, when it was really a split CD. It is so noticable because the 4 of these guys have unique approaches. Jay and Anders can kinda meld, but then Yames and Johnson come with their signature sounds that sound nothing like the other 3. The instrumentation, mixing style and everything change completely.

If you find someone pointing this out as offensive, you have an unhealthy fanaticism with 1 or all of the artists on this.

I dig the album, Yames shines on Revolutionary Woman, Farrar is Farrar on his tracks, Anders knocks his songs straight out of the park and Will Johnson is solid.

The only part of the album I get bored with is the 1-2 of Talking Empty Red Blues and Chorine My Sheeba Queen. I get the songs, they're more mellow, but they lose me a bit. Of course, the 1-2 of Careless Reckless Love and Angel's Blues (which is STELLAR) bring it right back.

Angel's Blues is my current love on the album. I think Anders tried to serve the theme of the lyrics more than the others. He totally turned those lyrics into a ballsy southern rock song, which they totally lend themselves to.

If you can't handle a little conversation about what each of us like and dislike about the album without crying "blasphemy!" stop being a dick...it's not cool...

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

dcarter wrote:I am honestly not trying to be an asshole. I am simply dumbfounded by the "no criticism of any kind is allowed".

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

megaballs1 wrote:C'mon,chill out.
"Motherfcu. "Some of you sound like serious fanboys aka douchebags. ' "your homoerotic undercurrents."
This is where we lost it.

we get the two sides here and its kinda silly.

Truth is we don't really know the extent of "collaboration". The funniest is that this whole deal is over that one word.
Shut the fuck up!

Anyways, Doug and Shuck are not bad people. They simply see each other as slightly misguided.

Back to the point, stuff your balls where the sun don't shine and stay out of their beef! You trying your hand at moderating drives me nuts!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

megaballs1 wrote:C'mon,chill out.
"Motherfcu. "Some of you sound like serious fanboys aka douchebags. ' "your homoerotic undercurrents."
It's the internet, sir. It seems as though your screen name is ironic. If you had a mega pair, then you wouldn't lose it over basic cyber hyperbole.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZ2_nKo7II

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

C'mon,chill out.

we get the two sides here and its kinda silly.

Truth is we don't really know the extent of "collaboration". The funniest is that this whole deal is over that one word.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I can't help my arrogance and intellect. And, clearly, as usual, I was correct in my analysis as I didn't try and render your analogy moot, it already was. Also, I don't recall the album "being discounted due to familiarity" just that some were not expecting such obvious familiarity.

It also isn't the anonymity of the internet. If we were having a discussion in a bar and someone used that analogy, I'd point out the problem with it. That's called conversation. My skin is thick enough to realize that I can make mistakes.

Plenty of collaborations do indeed sound collaborative. Some people feel that New Multitudes does not. That is not a crime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZ2_nKo7II

All the best, dcarter
Last edited by dcarter on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

dcarter wrote:
ShuckOwens wrote: This is about viewer (listener) expectations. Even if the artists in question were rounded up to paint the same sunset, from the same location, on the same day, what would you expect to see as an outcome? Would you hope beyond hope that they had never appreciated the beauty of one before... not had the experience affect them emotionally in different ways? Demand they not reach for the same colors and brushes... using techniques they've painted skies with previously? I suspect you'd be fairly pissed if the results were recognizable in any way. Is the entire Guthrie Archive project a waste of effort in your opinion? Where did Billy Bragg & Tweedy succeed where this latest outing failed, in your opinion (if that is your opinion)?
Motherfuck!! How thick are you? One. More. Time. No one is criticizing the music. Some are saying that it doesn't sound or feel like a collaborative effort. Nothing more. No one is "fairly pissed". Again your analogy is poor.

"Even if the artists in question were rounded up to paint the same sunset, from the same location, on the same day, what would you expect to see as an outcome?"

The above does not describe collaboration. It describes singular work, not working together. Some people expected that New Multitudes would, to them, have a clearly collaborative feel but, again to them, it does not. That is it. Nothing more. Since the fanboys aren't saying that it does have a collaborative feel, hell, they are agreeing that it doesn't, I don't understand the vitriol.
What on Earth? The music is good. The album is being unanimously applauded. Some just feel as though it sounds like a collection of separate artists rather than a COLLABORATION. Jaysus!

I am honestly not trying to be an asshole. I am simply dumbfounded by the "no criticism of any kind is allowed".
What *I* am *opining* is that the criticism 'successful collaboration = unrecognizable output' is invalid. I had no expectations that material written by a giant of music history, orchestrated/ interpreted by individual artists... even if performed collaboratively... would not be reminiscent of their own styles song by song. I do not believe it is possible, in fact, when you invite distinct independent artists like Farrar, Parker, Johnson and Yames to 'collaborate' on a project like this.

It is not my opinion that 'no criticism of any kind is allowed'... my beef was with discounting the album due to familiarity. What you did was to hop in and try to render my analogy moot. Willfully (?) ignorant of my effort to describe how I felt that expecting a cohesive group interpretation of a luminary like Guthrie, given the impact he has had on the individual participants for many, many years... was completely unrealistic.

The vitriol is entirely one-sided, yet again. You could not be a bigger douche bag. I now remember why I stopped debating here (with you). You just can't resist personally insulting the other party. Admirable.