Political views and Jay........

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

I don't think Clinton was doing any "banging" he was just getting a relaxing antidote to his stressful job
In all seriousness
I love political Jay
Of course, I also love Steve Earle
Speaking of which
wouldn't that be an awesome twin bill

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

I agree fraggle, however the message and activism has never been so explicit.....I like "Dosen't Have to Be This Way", and I agree its a sweet song. Just because I don't share all the same political views with the music does not mean I do not enjoy his music....

It just appears that the tone and "voice" is more active than ever....

I enjoy music that is "a-political"....Music that may take stabs at both sides...

Did not hear many muscians get pissed when Clinton was banging whores in the White House.

Why take refuge with the "left" that is totally off base with "middle of america".....

fraggle

Jay

Post by fraggle »

Some of you on here act like Jay has just now inserted politics in his lyrics... Jay (and Jeff) have written or sang lyrics that offer slight political views ever since the UT days. Get a grip.

"this trickle-down theory has left all these pockets empty..."

"Let's sink this capitalist system to the darkest pits of hell"

"Well a man in a tie'll bum your dime before he breaks his twenty dollar bill... There's plenty of reasons in this world we're no longer standing still"

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

I think "Doesn't Have to This Way" is one of Jay's better tunes since he's gone solo. As far as taking on political issues, Jay would absolutely be my first choice to do so. He writes lyrics that provoke thought, they don't preach. One of the biggest problems in America is that too many people simply wave the flag and don't give enough thought to what is really happening in the world. I think that by writing lyrics more cryptically, Jay makes you think, and that's always a good thing.

As far as I'm concerned, keep 'em coming Jay.

Antelope850

E-Letter

Post by Antelope850 »

Here's the info from the e-letter:

Jay will appear on Air America’s “Unfiltered” (www.airamericaradio.com) this Friday, July 23rd from 11:15 am – 11:45 am. He will play “Doesn’t Have to Be This Way” as well as take part in a short interview with Lizz Winstead.

Keep an eye out for an article regarding music and politics in USA Today. It is scheduled to print on the cover of the Life section on Monday, July 26. Jay was interviewed for the story. In addition, Jay was also interviewed for Relix’s Sept/October cover story about music & activism.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

The letter basically said Jay will be featured/mentioned in an upcoming USA Today article and another article about music and politics/activism. And that Jay will appear on air america radio this Friday morning on Lizz Winstead's show playing Doesn't Have To Be This Way. (Air America is the new Al Franken led "liberal" radio network.)

I'm not concerned about it. Doesn't Have To Be This Way is more overtly political than Jay's done in the past, but he's entitled to his opinion and to write about issues that move him. And I think it fits in well with the live album as a sign of the times song of things going on in the world while Jay was on the road. And if the song gets him some attention because of its political overtones, I don't think that's a bad thing. I wouldn't want to see him start writing all of his songs along the lines of Doesn't Have To Be This Way, and I'm sure he won't, but I have no problem with it otherwise.

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

What did the e-letter say?

muteseh

Post by muteseh »

God forbid that Jay offend the finer sensibilities of some people.

jeffra

Political views and Jay........

Post by jeffra »

I have been a fan for a while of UT/SV/and solo work, however I enjoyed the music that defined the landscape of America. Knowing that political issues make up the landscape of America, it is discouraging to hear that Jay is "stepping it up" with his tone concerning the president and the Iraq war. (IE the latest transmit sound e-letter)
Hey you know its a shitty deal for America to be in the dark about the war, but I enjoyed the music that defined the people not the current administration.
I have seen Jay about 5 times in concert and I enjoy the music, the vibe, and arrangements, but this time I wish he would back off the "administration bashing" rhetoric. Just a thought....