Coulda,Woulda,Shoulda

Do you want Jay to pursue his country or roots rock angle?

more Bakersfield
22%
more Straightaways
33%
Shut up Megaballs
44%

Total votes: 9

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I'm pretty sure Jay has said that the next record is more of the Bakersfield sound -- that he does not play an electric guitar on the entire record. Am I making this up? I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere on here...

On a side note, I don't see any harm whatsoever in the question Megaballs posed. This is a Jay Farrar forum. We discuss the music of Jay Farrar. We excitedly await, and some of us like to predict what lies in our listening future. I have to admit -- Jay could release a hip hop record and I'd love it. But that doesn't mean I don't have preferences for his future directions.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

not in it for the new listeners, the Gibbard, Yim Yames listeners...i want
what Jay cares to let out into the world. i also like this talk, so Mr. Big Ballz
keep on keep'n on.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I just wanted to put out a few outsider ideas, that's the point of this post.
This is Jay's site, where we kick around ideas.

Its legitimate to ask why there's been no solo or Son Volt material since 2009's ACD. Why not release something Farrar only? Why does it take so long to get out the Falling Cars and Junkyard Dogs , Publication Date: March 12, 2013 ?

Truth is Jay's always been working and with Rounder, he gets to march as he sees fit. While there's unreleased music in the hopper for a while, Jay's done great music with New Multitudes and many radio and print interviews. I'm sure he has a plan. I am sure the music's great, and the book too. It'll all be worth the wait.

I'd clearly prefer a move away from the Bakersfield sound and think that would resonate better with any newer listeners reaped from One Fast Move and Multitudes and Guthrie events in general. That's just me.

The correct answer to the poll is shut up Megaballs. Jay knows what he's doing.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

I don't know what to say?

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

oh i and i couldn't help but vote "shut up megaballs". i mean how often do you get to vote for something that hilarious?? :lol:

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

acd had moments of brilliance, but i listen to it much less than the other stuff. plug in the fuzz box to the pedal steel and let her rip i say.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

The Search and Okemah were good diversions
too. Sexy guitar and biting lyric. Big sounds.
Solo stuff: eclectic, experimental, traditional,
rooted in America. My belief is that whatever
Jay does, he will do it his way unapologetically.
I hope we get another like it. ACD was just that,
coming off a band transition. There's a nod to
Straightaways in there, a nod to The Search, to
Sebastopol. Songs were done straight, no fucking
around. Let the song be a song, so to speak. I like
that. I have to admit that a big double guitar sound and
knarley vocals give me a chub. Double chub with
some serious drum, bass, pedal steel and backing vocal.
But, that sweet acoustic song just by itself is the triple chub.
If you can make it work without all the fancy shmancy

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

not sure what the linear perspective might be; straightaways has always been the favorite of the bunch;however, a sprinkling of sebastapol adds thickening to the roux;always wondered what jay was thinking with feed kill chain--->makes this one think of slipknot's mate.feed.kill.repeat and also that funny picture of the smaller fish being eaten by the bigger fish which is then eaten by the biggest fish;jay is not on the radar the way he was but a show here or there would be enjoyable;some say j tweedy has a net worth of $9 mil--->maybe there is truth in the one with the nicest toys at the end does indeed win; although those testicles hanging at the end of pickup trucks hitches never quite seemed in good taste;beat writers indeed

megaballs1

Coulda,Woulda,Shoulda

Post by megaballs1 »

I am a big, loyal, long-time fan of Jay.

Given the new audiences touched with Kerouac, Gibbard, Jim James, Will J and Woody Guthrie in 2009,2011...not to mention repeated Wilco publicity, how can Jay not market himself better, striking while the iron is hot kinda thing?

A solid, Okemah, Straightaways rock album and extensive tour should have been a priority in the past year or two.

I know Jay doesn't give a shit about "limelight" and "success".
He seems happy to be an underground dream chasing his own muse down dusty back roads. I wonder if he's lost in the bliss of raising his two kids like I am?

Can't wait for the book and album in 2013....jeez, 2013

Vote the real poll