"we're all going to buy the record anyway..."

lazerbeamhawkins

Post by lazerbeamhawkins »

I've taken no offense to this post. I'm a newbie by board status, but I've loved Jay and Co. a few years now. I was hoping for some links of new stuff played LIVE, but that's okay. I'm buying this album no matter if the apocalypse dawns...as I'm sure ya'll wil too.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Press copies are out. I know a few blogs who have them and one of the guys on the site I still kinda run have one. I haven't been willing to drive to his house to pick it up since it'd be a 90 minute round trip and he's computer illiterate. However, all early word I've heard said the album is really good.

I don't think it would be unfair to share anything that pops up. I've already pre-ordered the album from Amazon, so I'm cool with it. Believe me, anyone who would get the mp3s now and not buy the album will just wait for the mp3s to come out after the album is released.

I've got it coming on vinyl. I haven't bought a Son Volt CD in a long time, but I've got them all on vinyl!

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

If Jay & co had wanted us to listen to the album before it came out, they would've put up a stream no?

I've had albums for months before they've been relased before, but all you look forward to is the day you get it.

Something about teh wait that is rewarding too. Everything has to be digitally instant these days, click & buy, wait a few seconds and it's yours. We're turning into a breed of spoiled brats because of it, with less appriciation for crafts and arts, going for cheap thrills to numb-feed ourselves.

Everything fucking fast and instant. In a few generations, the word attention span will be regarded as arcane and its function and meaning taught solely by a man and a woman on the outskirts of Portland, OR.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Okay, everyone please chill the fuck out. No, I was not meaning to advocate posting a link to anything in public - I was talking about friendly sharing between people who have been posting here since the early days, as has always happened in the past.

But, I realize that I'm not as much of a regular as I used to be anyway, so maybe even that is out of line. I apologize if so - please disregard the whole thread.

the art guy, signing off and going back to whatever it is I've been doing since ACD came out.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

ct wrote:Tim,

You can spend your time waiting for the new SV ablum by getting some wall stickers.
Appearly they are all the rage on jayfarrar.net!
I've actually never heard of J. Ferrer and this Sunvolt bunch. I'm only here for the wall stickers :lol:

Tim in the ATL

ct

Post by ct »

Tim,

You can spend your time waiting for the new SV ablum by getting some wall stickers.
Appearly they are all the rage on jayfarrar.net!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

calexico wrote:You seriously can't be advocating file sharing the new album of an artist on their own message board?

I mean, whatever you do in private is your own business but there's no need to actually slap the artist in the face in public. :(
I have to second calexico's point here... It would be worse than a crime for us to make this new work freely available to anyone who might stumble upon the board. And though you and you and you and I on here might be great people who truly respect Jay and believe that he deserves to earn every single red cent due to him for his incredible work, who are we to assume that *everyone* on here has these purest of intentions?

All of that said, I don't for a second blame anyone for wanting to do ANYTHING to get a taste of this before March 5. I can't wait either, but I'm going to.

Tim in the ATL

calexico

Post by calexico »

You seriously can't be advocating file sharing the new album of an artist on their own message board?

I mean, whatever you do in private is your own business but there's no need to actually slap the artist in the face in public. :(

manshank

Post by manshank »

To much of everything is just enough........................

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Everything in moderation.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

wait, there's a moderator? man, i guess i haven't been around much. oh well. okay. :shock:

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Escape the moderator's wrath by embedding your request in a paragraph about discount Indian sarees.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I dont have an issue but you'll probably get a tongue lashing from the moderator here.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

I'm just going to go ahead and second this thread. Need me some new Son Volt, please.

the art guy

"we're all going to buy the record anyway..."

Post by the art guy »

I think we can all agree that this statement is true. Therefore (at least for those of us agreeing with the statement), can we make a pact that we'll share anything we get in advance somehow...? Please? (And thanks to those who have been giving a heads-up on the few tunes out there so far.)

Sincerely,

Can't wait til March. But will if I have to.