Stream Honky Tonk in its entirety

ct

Post by ct »

Well I left it up the technology gods. I searched it on my phone's mp3 app & found it in it's entirety. I couldn't help myself & downloaded the whole thing.
I fucking love it!!!!
Can't wait to see it live!
I wander if Jay will 2 fiddle players on tour? I've seen several quotes from him about the dual fiddle sound.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

ct wrote:I've been trying not to listen to any of it until Tuesday. However listening to everybody talk about it, my willpower is growing weak! Especially after the Barricades quote.
Hang tough ct. I've been playing the hell out of it for a week now, and it's awesome. Great, great album. There's a joyous quality to it, even the slow songs. But one thing I will miss is unwrapping my new Son Volt cd on Tuesday and listening to it for the first time. Will still be cool, but not quite the same after listening to the stream for awhile. Only a couple days away from the real thing.

ct

Post by ct »

I've been trying not to listen to any of it until Tuesday. However listening to everybody talk about it, my willpower is growing weak! Especially after the Barricades quote.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Monk- "Barricades" is quickly becoming my favorite of the moment... such an optimistic swing to it, love that line too...

eamon

Post by eamon »

Like it! I would have to say that it has some 'Trace" influence to it. Looking forward to the Tour :P :P :P

Monkmusic

Post by Monkmusic »

Took me a few listens but I'm just in love with this album. With all the crap "popular" music out there these days we're very lucky to have this guy writing this music with so much integrity.

"Don't let the barricades of life keep the wild spirit still"

calexico

Post by calexico »

Two plays through of the album. Very, very impressed. Sounds fantastic and no one can bitch about this band not being SV Mk 1. This band swings like Henry Aaron.

I've been seriously impressed with the sound of the record. The songs are fantastic and as a cohesive piece of music it certainly has legs that will carry it far past the initial excitement of early release days.

windshield

Post by windshield »

Angel of the blues is so beautiful, I'm weeping. It's in Left a slide land. Going with it.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Sounds very cohesive and well-executed to my ears. I'm not sensing anything like Windfall, Tear Stained Eye, Left a Slide, Creosote, Bandages and Scars, Circadian Rhythm, Methampheatamine, Bicycle Hotel, Roll On, No Turning Back, or Pushed Too Far yet. That may change. Need more time. Tempering my enthusiasm/disappointment for now.

hairbear1174

Post by hairbear1174 »

first 2 songs had some underwhelming lyrics. but after that the album is damn brilliant! got tix to iowa city show coming up :D

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I am kinda liking this. By know means am I blown away by it but it has a nice consistency to it. Right now the stand out track is Seawall. God save the queen of Charleston, WV.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

All I know is, my 7 year old daughter was singing Brick Walls on the way to school today, so I think that's a good sign. (Or at least a sign that I'm playing the hell out of this album stream.)
Last edited by Antelope850 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:I'm just damn happy to have more original music from my favorite artist and to have SV back on tour. I am incredibly grateful that Jay is still writing and recording new music--it's been my life's soundtrack--and I hope his incredible river of creative talent and ability never runs dry.

Congrats on the new record Jay!
Indeed. And I'm happy to have new lines like this:

"Shadows are good companions for the light that you save." -- from 'Shine On'

Devastating and uplifting all at once, which is precisely what Jay's music embodies for me. As he sings in 'Angel of the Blues', "Sad songs keep the devil away." In so many ways, the modern-day Woody.

Y'all, this record is superb. 'Shine On' might be my personal favorite.

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I'm just damn happy to have more original music from my favorite artist and to have SV back on tour. I am incredibly grateful that Jay is still writing and recording new music--it's been my life's soundtrack--and I hope his incredible river of creative talent and ability never runs dry.

Congrats on the new record Jay!

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

From the press release (expanded and unabridged):

Farrar reflects that as he wrote and recorded the music so deeply steeped in tradition for Honky Tonk, “I realized I also wanted these songs to sound more contemporary and modern. There was no strict adherence to methodology of the past. You never want to be a nostalgia act.”

So I think Jay says it best after all...