Honky Tonk drops today!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

SPIKE wrote:I'm waiting to buy this one. I've got a MAJOR life changing (for the better, nay, bestest!) event coming up and I want this album to usher in my new era and serve as a time stamp of that event in the soundtrack to my life.

Also, HUGE hints dropped for book as a father's day present for me :D
Beautiful. Congratulations!

Tim in the ATL

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

I'm waiting to buy this one. I've got a MAJOR life changing (for the better, nay, bestest!) event coming up and I want this album to usher in my new era and serve as a time stamp of that event in the soundtrack to my life.

Also, HUGE hints dropped for book as a father's day present for me :D

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

sturgeongeneral wrote:Say what you want; believe in the almighty; nothing approaches left a slide
Yup. However, gotta love the "way h(w)e tried."

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Say what you want; believe in the almighty; nothing approaches left a slide

Megaballs6

Post by Megaballs6 »

Everything starting with Wild Side cooks. Lineup is super. Album is a creeper. Live is a must see for Spencer and Hunt. Jay is always brilliant but especially personal. Must be in a good place, lucky for us.

Megaballs6

Post by Megaballs6 »

I understand the need to go where the muse takes you.

If you look at Jay's career, SV1, Sebastopal, Terrior Blues, Anders and Death Songs, Okemah and the guitars, The Search with Brad Rice and almost pop, the Keroauc project with Gibby, ACD with SV and acoustic guitars, then superduo Guthrie supreme...always a theme, always slightly brilliant and different album to album.

With Jay's love of western, this project was destined. I realize this is a pedal steel,fiddle orgasm, but I am not a Buck Owens, Merle type and I look forward to the next project with great anticipation

Love the book!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

My copy arrived today. God bless you Jay and SV! First day of a lifetime spent listening to Honktonk!

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

JWB56 wrote:I guess I'll know how superb and amazing Honky Tonk is when my pre-ordered copy gets delivered. Jeeesh!
don't feel too bad. i'm also still waiting, ugh.

JWB56

Post by JWB56 »

I guess I'll know how superb and amazing Honky Tonk is when my pre-ordered copy gets delivered. Jeeesh!

Monkmusic

Post by Monkmusic »

This record is flat-out amazing! I've enjoyed everything Son Volt and Jay have ever released, but Honky Tonk is truly special.
+1 to that

The lyrics on this record are amazing. I always expect great things from Jay but this album surpasses my expectations. If it hasn't sunk in yet, it will.

bdg25

Post by bdg25 »

This record is flat-out amazing! I've enjoyed everything Son Volt and Jay have ever released, but Honky Tonk is truly special.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Superb record. In common with ACD I do think that the songs here will take a little time to sink in and become familiar but because of that they will have a long lasting influence. Mining a rich vein at the moment. Long may it continue.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

I think that this is a very fine album. Good job.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

My two cents:

This is the finest Son Volt record since Wide Swing Tremolo. Incredibly moving lyrically, and the instrumentation is masterful. Mark did an incredible job mixing this one. The twin fiddles and pedal steel shine throughout. Particularly fine is the pedal steel on 'Seawall.' You listen to this record, and you know just how far what we call "country music" has gone astray. It embraces and transcends the Bakersfield sound in the best possible way.

whiteshadow

Post by whiteshadow »

My two cents:

It's real good but not quite great...yet.
These aren't songs that grab you on first listen. Feels like you need to live with them for a while. Maybe a greater truth will be revealed. Didn't get Terroir at all at first - boy was I wrong.
Outstanding sound and instrumentation. How could you not love that sound?
Twin fiddles and pedal steel will be playing on the way into heaven. Jay and the boys pull it off in fine fashion here.
All in all, it's a fine addition to the canon.
The fanboy in me says ACD is a better album (now THAT was the best album Jay did in the last 10 years - and I love them all) but I'm sure this album will find it's way into the lifetime rotation.