Honky Tonk drops today!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
ct wrote:http://www.nodepression.com/m/blogpost? ... t%3A954509

A review of Honky Tonk from No Depression website.
Unfortunately it is very poorly written but I guess it is meant to be a positive review.
Agreed. Reads like a high school newspaper.

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

ct wrote:http://www.nodepression.com/m/blogpost? ... t%3A954509

Unfortunately it is very poorly written but I guess it is meant to be a positive review.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

turpentim wrote:http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=3345825

Just noticed a passage/quote in this article that should comfort those of you who are less than thrilled with the band's latest:

"Will Farrar and Son Volt continue to mine this vein? 'Ultimately,' Farrar says, '[this album is] a cathartic situation, where I'll be looking to do something different next time. I'll probably go back to the 'no heart, no love' rules again.'"

Tim in the ATL
Very interesting indeed. Hmmm, ACD2? Sebastopol2? Can't wait!

ct

Post by ct »

http://www.nodepression.com/m/blogpost? ... t%3A954509

bensco

honky tonk just dropped

Post by bensco »

Thank goodness... maybe he will pick up a guitar and lay down some of his once heavenly licks again.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=3345825

Just noticed a passage/quote in this article that should comfort those of you who are less than thrilled with the band's latest:

"Will Farrar and Son Volt continue to mine this vein? 'Ultimately,' Farrar says, '[this album is] a cathartic situation, where I'll be looking to do something different next time. I'll probably go back to the 'no heart, no love' rules again.'"

Tim in the ATL

derekf

Post by derekf »

dcarter wrote:Honky Tonk $5 mp3 plus digital booklet from Amazon. I am excited to give it a listen. I forget that vinyl only guy's name, the homie with grill avatar dude, but this download's for you! I await the excellent sound quality.
Ha. You'll get it and realize it's fine, just fine.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Honky Tonk $5 mp3 plus digital booklet from Amazon. I am excited to give it a listen. I forget that vinyl only guy's name, the homie with grill avatar dude, but this download's for you! I await the excellent sound quality.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Tokyo Fan wrote:Amazon just sent a request for a review of Honky Tonk. They sent the request addressed to my dog.
Two paws up!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Amazon just sent a request for a review of Honky Tonk. They sent the request addressed to my dog.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

turpentim wrote:
SPIKE wrote:I'm waiting to buy this one. I've got a MAJOR life changing (for the better, nay, bestest!) event coming up and I want this album to usher in my new era and serve as a time stamp of that event in the soundtrack to my life.

Also, HUGE hints dropped for book as a father's day present for me :D
Beautiful. Congratulations!

Tim in the ATL
Dern! Looks like the event is delayed but we're still in the era for a successful imprint. Besides, I can't wait much longer! Will be buying it from the merch table at Sons of Herman Hall 4/20!

calexico

Post by calexico »

Holy Jeebus, Angel Of The Blues is something outstanding. :shock:

windshield

Post by windshield »

sturgeongeneral wrote:nothing approaches left a slide
Word.
But "Angel of the Blues" is in that dimension, somewhere else.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I've had my copy for three or four days now and after repeated listens I've found I've already changed my mind. First of all, I can't figure out why I singled out Seawall as a track I disliked initially! No idea why as it is a good tune. My three favorites right now are: Livin' On, Angel of the Blues and Shine On. Angel of the Blues reminds me of another song that is at the tip of my tongue but then slips away before I can think of which one.

And then Jay sings it just fine but I can see Willie Nelson doing covers of Wild Side and Bakersfield.

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

I, like I am sure a lot of you, can listen to Jay play mid tempo country type songs all day long and love it all. I think this new record has some of the best melodies and hooks that he has written. I find myself singing lines or humming melodies from the record throughout the day, not even sure what song it is from. The flow is well done. I think it is also one of his better vocal performances as Son Volt. His inflection and accents on second and third chorus lines is really impressive.

I do however think and agree with some reviewers that a couple of more up tempo songs, barrelhouse if i am using that term correctly, would have put this album over the top. Regardless, great stuff. As always, looking forward to what comes next.