Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Grindstone! Sweet.

ct

Post by ct »

Grindstone! Lucy bastards!

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Here's Jay's setlist from tonight's show in Tulsa, at Cain's Ballroom ("Home of Bob Wills"):

Exact same show as earlier in the tour, with the change of 'Grindstone' instead of 'Dust of Daylight'!

And for comparison's sake, here is the setlist from the last time I saw them, in Oklahoma City in 2009:

Only 10 duplications out of 22 songs played tonight!

Overall just a great show. I picked up a blue Honky Tonk shirt and the SV 1999 live CD. Can't wait for the next one!

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Great show in Tulsa tonight! No Chickamauga, but we got Grindstone!!

I'll post my pic of the setlist when I get home!

6StringBeliever

Post by 6StringBeliever »

You are in for a wonderful evening, brother. Enjoy!

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

SV has had some time off for the holiday, I think, but they are back at it tonight at legendary Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. Hoping for a good excited crowd. I will do my best to get the set list to see if there are any changes from recent shows. Can't wait!!!

6StringBeliever

The Philly show on Thursday 6/19 was pretty much as described above. This was my first Son Volt show and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a thrill to literally be right in front of the stage. I get the feeling that Jay is a very shy man though. He barely uttered eight words and didn't introduce the band...or smile once. Great musical experience though, and I wish I could catch tomorrow night's show in Cincinnati!

Uncle Eph

Post by Uncle Eph »

Same set in DC as the photo above, I think. We also got the Chickamauga second encore, which was awesome. The show was probably not sold out, but close. The 9:30's pretty big for a general-admission club, so probably 1,000 people there.

Colonel Ford was enormously entertaining--Spencer and Hunt both played electric guitar throughout, but went through a bunch of classic country styles. I didn't really recognize any of the tunes, but they went from Texas swing-sounding stuff to bluegrass to some tune that sounded a lot like doo-wop to me. All terrific. Hunt and Spencer had awesome chemistry on guitar, trading licks back and forth, seemingly improvised but wonderfully in sync. It's cool to watch someone playing bluegrass banjo licks on a Telecaster.

(When Son Volt came out to start the main set, the guy next to me remarked, "It's just those same guys as before. But with another guy." I don't think he reads this board.)

The Son Volt set was all entertaining. Jay didn't say much at all, but seemed to enjoy himself. He remarked a few times about it being a good audience, but that was it. Didn't introduce the band or anything.

The first half of the set was a bit slow--while I love these songs, several of them sort of bleed together with similar tempos and melodies. It really picked up on the back half, building to some serious electric mayhem by the end.

Encores were great--I'll never get tired of Tear Stained Eye or Windfall, and the band seems to still enjoy playing them to an enthusiastic singalong crowd. I could see the guitar tech prepping the red Gretsch in the back as they were winding up the first encore, so I was hopeful we'd get another, and we did. Chickamauga blew the roof off, and that was the end of the night.

Great show.

wheelhousetunes

Post by wheelhousetunes »

I'd love to see them bust out some Wide Swing Tremelo or Straightaways songs....

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I was pretty surprised myself. A small but noticeable percentage of the crowd left but those that remained were very, very loud: stomping their feet, hooting and clapping. Earlier in the show Jay was talking about Headgear studios down the street (it actually recently closed), where he's mixed the last handful of records with John Agnello, saying the neighborhood felt like home. So he must have been in good spirits, I definitely enjoyed it!

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

Whoa, a second encore ? How did you guys make that happen ??

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Last night in Brooklyn: same set as the photograph above, plus a Chickamauga second encore. I thought the crowd was great, the band was tight. Colonel Ford was incredibly fun to watch. Mark and Gary are unbelievable.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

From the Boston show (not in order & from memory):

Down to the Wire
Strength & Doubt
No Turning Back
Dynamite
Barstow
Voodoo Candle
Hoping Machine
Drown
Tear-Stained Eye
Windfall
Seawall
Down the Highway
Hearts & Minds
Brick Walls
Wild Side
Afterglow 61
Bandages & Scars
Medication (Drawn-out with all manner of psychedelia & feedback)
The Picture
Highways & Cigarettes
Stop the World

Might've missed a song or two. If so, it's Harpoon's fault. The band was tight as fuck. It was a great blend of country bliss & eardrum-threatening rock.

nbdyuknow

set lists - Park West, Chicago, 7 June

Post by nbdyuknow »

Just a brief note to confirm that the exact same set list as submitted by Worn Out Joe was utilized at the Chicago show. "Down to the Wire" was the opener, "Afterglow 61" closed it and the same encore. The gig was excellent, I would say the highlight based upon the response of the room was when Jay strapped on the red Gretsch, and roared through (an extended) "Medication," yet-again slightly reconfigured "Voodoo Candle" and the rest of the main set. Also, I am sure everyone else already knows this, but I did not, that Col. Ford, the opening band, is also functioning as "Son Volt" the live backing band for Jay this tour (or, at the very least, in Chicago). The show was classic Jay--he said "hello" once, "thanks" once, introduced the fiddle and pedal steel players and said "goodnight and thanks again" and not a word more. Awesome gig, I am thinking of heading to Louisville for the 23 June show at Headliners, that is a much more intimate venue and one of the best places to see live music (and the tickets are 1/2 what they were in Chicago!).

Peace,

Bill B.

6StringBeliever

That is awesome, brother...enjoy the shows!