Farrar agreed to be in Golden Smog, Tweedy didn't go for it

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

I'll bet Jay and Jeff are secretly best friends, vacation together in Mexico with their families, and go to Mike's house and play every other Tuesday night. They probably have 9 or 10 unreleased albums in the can.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Good point. It sounds like a strange situation.
Gary: "Hey Jay, want to be in Golden Smog?"
Jay: "Sure"
Gary: "OK, let me go ask Jeff and see if it's okay".

pdg

Post by pdg »

"To my knowledge..." that is the most ambiguous, undefined way one can construe the situation. Interpretations are wide open.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Of all the possible (and realistic) collaborations I can imagine Jay doing, a band with Gary Louris is the one I'd love to see. Their writing sensibilities, voices, and guitar playing just seem so complementary. Let's see, while I'm at it I guess Jim Boquist would logically be their bass player. As much as I'd love for Mike to be at the kit, that would turn it into Son Volt, so maybe Tim O'Reagan. Eric Heywood too? Damn, that could be awesome!

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

"Glad & Sorry"

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Man the idea of a Jay/Gary Louris song is really cool.

ct

Post by ct »

Nice find! Interesting stuff! I guess Jay has enough and is finally speaking up.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

As you said, very interesting. It sounds like Jay is talking about being invited on board AFTER there was an initial grouping of Golden Smog members. Doesn't it?

But wanting to "redefine" the relationship can't be anything but good.

Bozeman

Farrar agreed to be in Golden Smog, Tweedy didn't go for it

Post by Bozeman »

Found this interesting tidbit in a recent interview:
Was there a time when you wouldn't play Uncle Tupelo songs? I remember you getting annoyed when people called for those songs.

No, it comes with the territory. They had good reason for shouting for those songs. I think it is disappointing to see things written about the bitter break up of Uncle Tupelo. It was not supposed to transpire that way. I can point to one emblematic example of that. The band Golden Smog, when Gary Louis asked me to be in that band, I thought it would be a good opportunity to redefine the relationship between Jeff Tweedy and myself. I agreed to it. To my knowledge, Jeff never did agree with that.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/201 ... php?page=2