Isbell's 'Southeastern'

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I know I'm late to this album. Didn't like the video at all, but now that I'm just listening to the music I think it is a fantastic album. Have his live in Alabama album (with the 400 Unit) as well and really enjoy it.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

One of Ryan Adams last tweet, he said that wish he could write strong songs like Jason Isbell.

Isbell's Southeastern is really very good and emotional album, includes songs with personal stories and strong lyrics...

ct

Post by ct »

Bump

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Is that Amanda Shires?

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crim ... in-/nc8z9/

Fucking crazy. I feel for the dude.

Carey11

Post by Carey11 »

I hope getting better

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Best album of the year.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

how beautiful are these songs? Totes beautiful!

amzie

Post by amzie »

I just don't listen to Wilco, Jason Isbell, Patterson Hood, or Drive-by Truckers. There are plenty of other bands I like. I am a permanent member of the Son Volt cult--always #1 in my book, no matter the changes in personnel. Jay's voice is my favorite, too.
There are a million great guitarists. I guess Spencer is one of them.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

amzie wrote:el caballo loco--

Patterson Hood's voice really gets on my nerves, really. Why are you hmmmming? I can't be the only Wilco hater on this board.
Funny you should say that, as I've heard that critique of Jay's music on more than one occasion. Of course, I disagree with both assessments, but that's what makes life interesting.

Other than, say, ouzhenyang, and maybe Mark Kozelek, I've never heard of such Wilco hating.

amzie

Post by amzie »

el caballo loco--

Patterson Hood's voice really gets on my nerves, really. Why are you hmmmming? I can't be the only Wilco hater on this board.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

el caballo loco wrote:Drive-By Truckers are outstanding.

Jason Isbell's solo material is hit or miss. Southeastern is very generic-sounding & boring to my ears.

1/2 has me intrigued with Southwestern. Sounds a bit grittier and more interesting than Southeastern. Did Mark Spencer play on it? I hear that guy is the best.

Patterson Hood's solo material is top-notch. His last 2 releases, Murdering Oscar & Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance, are excellent, especially the former.

turpentim is rapidly approaching spam bot status.

How 'bout The Cards fuckin' Jay over again & not inviting him to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" or "America the Beautiful" this fall?

Hate Wilco? Hmmmm.
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

In all seriousness, what would we do without your insight? We are all so lucky to have you.

Timbot in the ATL

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

half-n-half wrote:
amzie wrote:Jason Isbell's stuff does nothing for me
But Southeastern might. Its like sippin an awesome Scotch, with Denton folks, during Christmas.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Drive-By Truckers are outstanding.

Jason Isbell's solo material is hit or miss. Southeastern is very generic-sounding & boring to my ears.

1/2 has me intrigued with Southwestern. Sounds a bit grittier and more interesting than Southeastern. Did Mark Spencer play on it? I hear that guy is the best.

Patterson Hood's solo material is top-notch. His last 2 releases, Murdering Oscar & Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance, are excellent, especially the former.

turpentim is rapidly approaching spam bot status.

How 'bout The Cards fuckin' Jay over again & not inviting him to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" or "America the Beautiful" this fall?

Hate Wilco? Hmmmm.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

amzie wrote:Jason Isbell's stuff does nothing for me
But Southwestern might. Its like sippin an awesome Scotch, with Denton folks, during Christmas.