Jay Farrar diss track

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

one of the more interesting threads recently. thanks for the follow-up!
it was eating at my butt hurt core :roll: :oops:

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Mark: I pulled those lyrics out of my ass. A crack head was hassling me outside of the studio and I put a mic up and sang about it. I didn't have a chorus, so I started rattling names of guitarists, trying to get my part over with. I'd ask the guys "What rhymes with Johhny Marr?" and one of them would say "Jay Farrar". It just went like that until the punchline somehow ended up falling on Nels Cline. I don't hate the guy. It was just funny, so we kept it.

http://www.uprootedmusicrevue.com/2013/ ... ey-of.html

unchartedthickets

gdavis5446 wrote: I have not been 'butthurt' since I watched American Me.
accidental brush with the Mexican mafia???

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

pdallday wrote:As soon as I first heard "Livingstone Bramble," I knew the nerds over at the Jay Farrar forum would be butthurt over it.
Or the Koz nerd who signs up to the Farrar board in order to defend the "Schtick".

unchartedthickets

'butthurt' is a good one :lol:

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

pdallday wrote:As soon as I first heard "Livingstone Bramble," I knew the nerds over at the Jay Farrar forum would be butthurt over it.

unchartedthickets has it right. Anyone that knows anything about Koz's music would know that this is just part of his shtick and new songwriting style.

Have any of you heard Admiral Fell Promises? The guy is as good as he says he is.

I'm a big Jay fan and loved Honky Tonk, but Koz has come up with some of the most compelling guitar arrangements on both nylon and electric in the indie/folk/slowcore scene to date.
I love Kozelek's music including Admiral Fell Promises. I have listened to Among the Leaves probably more than any album that came out in 2012 and have listened to Ghosts more than any album over the past 10 years. I really dig his recent record with Jimmy Lavalle. I like what I've heard of the recent Desertshore release as well.

But let's be honest he can come across as a huge dick at times. Whether he's singing about Farrar or Cline or insulting his own fans live. And I might be a nerd but I have not been 'butthurt' since I watched American Me.

pdallday

Post by pdallday »

As soon as I first heard "Livingstone Bramble," I knew the nerds over at the Jay Farrar forum would be butthurt over it.

unchartedthickets has it right. Anyone that knows anything about Koz's music would know that this is just part of his shtick and new songwriting style.

Have any of you heard Admiral Fell Promises? The guy is as good as he says he is.

I'm a big Jay fan and loved Honky Tonk, but Koz has come up with some of the most compelling guitar arrangements on both nylon and electric in the indie/folk/slowcore scene to date.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Touché!

Honk if you love Jesus errr jay

unchartedthickets

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... illy/?_r=0

spoken like a true dickhole. (this is autobiographical)

beatenbynonfiction

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

"I can pay like Fripp or Johnny Marr, and I can play circles around Jay Farrar"

Says a lot about a person who feels the need to tell how good they are

unchartedthickets

although I personally know a couple blowhards, their career isn't as focused or seemingly successful Kozelek's. I have a hard time believing his "diss" songs are anything more than funny. Next To The Moon makes me smile and chuckle but it also works on a sublime level. u gotta laugh at the way Kozelek takes Bon Scott era AC/DC and turns them into achingly beautiful love songs. my thoughts align more with Koz being intentionally dopey.
he's a sardonic feller, much like a couple folks on this forum ....

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Never heard of him.

Jay wins again.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

I've heard things....and now I'm hearing things again.

calexico

Post by calexico »

No matter how wonderful I find Kozelek's music, he actually is a bit of a dick. He comes across that way in interviews and live and has even acknowledged it himself in print.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Also, the Nels Cline lyric from the song Livingston Bramble is:

I like Jeff Beck and Page just fine
but I hate Derek Trucks and Nels Cline