Kansas City Show, Sept. 29th

banchara

Balanced set, good energy, AWESOME show

Post by banchara »

Really enjoyed this show. Knuckleheads is a great venue, although I wished we'd dressed a little warmer. I had awesome views right up until three behemoth men came to stand right in front center. Come on, dudes. Oh well, I finally had to stand up anyway because of the aforementioned butt swaying music.
Some of my favorite moments:
**The train cameo was inspired and the playfulness of the musicians (Mark Spencer and Gary Hunt, in particular) and was perfect. I really enjoy watching band dynamics and there was plenty of nuance in this set.
**The breakdown on Medication was sick and deep. As a song, for me, it is in a class by itself and this nights version did not disappoint. It was also really fun to watch.
**Jay Farrar VS. Sombrero
**Andrew Duplantis bumming a smoke from a fan
**Electrified "Hoping Machine" HOLY HOLY HOLY!!!! Please record this son electric with Son Volt. It plays out so well live.

That is off the top of my head. I agree about the energy, although I suspect some sore vocal chords were coming into play. I appreciated very much that they played KC...even though I cut a trip short and DROVE BACK FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO SEE THE SHOW!!! Of course, I played Honky Tonk most of the way home.

"throw this love down the highway, see where it takes you"
kindred soul

That's how I saw it!
Laura

BIGfan

Post by BIGfan »

Me too! I just hope it isn't so long this time between albums and tours!

amzie

Post by amzie »

I enjoyed reading this! I could imagine being there.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the report.

KC.BBBS

Kansas City Show, Sept. 29th

Post by KC.BBBS »

I’ve seen seven variations of Son Volt shows. Last night’s performance at Knucklehead’s in K.C. might have been the best. I worried that the show, being the last on the tour, and on a Sunday night, might be a letdown. The boys could be tired, ready to go home, and wanting to refresh. Was I wrong!

Last night’s Colonel Ford -- Mark Spencer, Gary Hunt, Andrew Duplantis and Jay Edwards -- were top notch, tight, and got 500 or so folks moving. Spencer ripped it up on “White Lightening” and a later version of “Whiskey River,” sung by Andrew, slayed the crowd. As many Kansas Citians know, trains that run about 50 yards from the stage and one wailed by mid-song, inspiring the band to do a train song to close. Nearly a standing ovation.

Son Volt’s set was a blend of beautiful, penetrating, and cathartic tunes interlaced with six or seven songs from “Honky Tonk.” But fans also lopped up an adult-sized portion of driving, butt-swingin’ electric tunes. It felt like Jay was finding his way through at the start, but about 15 minutes in, when he went electric, mercy, did the collective joy of the crowd explode. They killed it on “Medication,” “Drown,” “Badges and Scars,” “Afterglow 61,” and several others.

Two encores sent everyone home cleansed. Included in the encores were the Farrar standards “Tear Stained Eye” and “Windfall,” with half the crowd singing along, a mind-numbing, get-off-your-ass-and-air-guitar “Chickamauga,” and Neil Young’s “Don’t Cry No Tears.”

It was a perfect evening with mid 60s temps, $3 beers, a comforting and welcoming venue and appreciative fans. The guys validated for me yet again why they are, in my opinion, one of the most talented and relevant American bands doing music today.